on 1 June 2012
I bought four of these for my company after a colleague bought one on special offer, normally £200-250.

It is hard to be passionate about a piece of office equipment but this printer makes it easy. I love the scan to USB function, we were unable to use the wireless function as we are based on the olympic park so got not modems etc. Lightweight, cheap refills available, easy to use. Love the A3 function and the double sided. Love being able to check the memory stick content on the screen of the printer.

Such fantastic value for money. What else can i say, a dozen non-techie men in the office all managed to use it without looking at the manual.

the only negative I have with this machine is lifting the lid to connect the printer cable, it is awkward, not hard, to close the lid again and not an obvious place to look for the port, but saying that the cable neatly tucks inside and then pops out the side of the machine. This can be removed totally if using wireless. It also does not come with this cable so I hunted the net and bought a load of cheap usb cables.

Have printed thousands of documents and had a couple of jams, it is always the same place, but then it is generally where someone has not inserted the paper properly.

This really is an excellent value for money functional machine. I want to smuggle one home for personal usage!
33 comments83 of 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 March 2012
First of all, setup is a breeze. With the touchscreen I connected it to our wireless network, then I run the installation package, selected "connect to wireless printer" and it installed everything.
Our boss wanted a fax machine capable of forwarding received faxes to email, and to my delight (and surprise) this MFC can do that. It requires installing a new fax firmware available from Brother's website, so be sure to check that if you use this as a fax machine. I did that and it works flawlessly, except for the fact that it doesn't work with gmail's servers directly, but I used our ISP's server and it sends to gmail so no big deal.
Next I set it up the scan to a network folder. I set up 3 profiles: B&W PDF, Color PDF and Color JPEG. Without a doubt the most used is the scan to B&W PDF, it will produce a single PDF of consecutive scans (or of all the sheets in the ADF).
B&W print quality is good, color printing is good enough - I have no idea if it has photographic quality or not as most things we print are graphs. We're yet to print A3 (my fault, forgot to buy a ream of A3 paper).
Like most network printers, it has a web interface where you can see maintenance info and set up the remote fax and scan to network options. What else... you can install a free app to print directly from iPhone and Android devices, I tried it and was able to print a PDF. Neat.
Apparently it will be able to use replacement inks without fuss, or so I hope. I'll log the running costs of this printer and determine just how economic it is in the long run.
If can say anything bad about the printer, it would be the apparent fragility of the paper tray. Still, I wasn't a Brother fan, but this printer has won me over so far.

UPDATE AFTER 3 MONTHS: A few more cons. the paper tray isn't particularly flimsy, but it is rather long and a hassle to put more paper in. You need to take it out half-way, and unless you have it in the middle of a table it will fall to the ground fairly regularly. Changing between A4 and A3 is more complicated than most office workers are willing to endure, fortunately we hardly use A3. The biggest con has been its inability to pick up some kinds of paper, namely the HP glossy paper that is offered in their XL packs and various label sheets. The Chroma - A3 Glossy Inkjet Photo Paper - Premium Grade 260gsm Resin Coated Gloss (25 Sheet Pack) paper works flawlessly, by the way. Having read some bad reviews on Brother printers lack of photo printing quality, I must say it looked pretty photorealistic to me using that paper.

Bottomline, here's have we found bad in order of noted frequency: flawed paper picking, no separate tray for A3, no A3 scanner and no dual-sided ADF. I'm tempted to give it only 4 stars due to the picking issues but staying clear of certain brands avoids the issue, so I'll let it stand. Still, it has done everything we have required of it and the printing costs (with generic ink) has been very low so I'm still very pleased.
22 comments143 of 150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 October 2012
Initially, it seemed like a great little printer - easy to set up and use. However, after just a very short time, we have discovered many flaws. Particularly the speed of printing and copying! We bought this based on previous experience with Brother and it's turned out to be a big disappointment. The copying is the slowest I have ever come across and the printing (colour) has slowed to painful after a very short time!
11 comment69 of 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 April 2012
I have had this printer for only a few days but I can already confirm that for the money, one hundred pounds when I bought it, you will not get anything like this elsewhere.

Features:
1)The wireless was really easy to set up on my pc and android tablet - using google cloud for the latter.
It was a bit more fiddly to get the scanner working wirelessly on my linux machine, as drivers are not provided in the box, but detailed instructions are available on brother's website.
2)Prints automatic double sided on virtually any kiind of paper - id does slow it down a bit but that is not an issue for me.
3)Prints on A3 and thick photo paper with no problem. Do make sure, however, to select "colour option: vivid" when printing pictures otherwise they might look a bit dull.
4) The touchscreen interface is really easy to use and very responsive in comparison to another printer that I have used in the past.
4) Cloud printing works fine.
5) I used the automatic feader to copy and upscale an A4 page into an A3 and was very please with the quality of the copying.
6) Have not tried FAX functions.

Printing Costs: XL compatible cartridges are available from Amazon - set of 4 cartrdges that will print 3000+ pages for £9! The ink is actually cheaper than the paper for this printer. An original set will set you back cerca £70 but unless you buy this printer solely for printing high resolution pictures, in my opinion, are not worth the extra money. You can however get an official black 1280XL for around a tenner, which is probably the best option, if you only need to replace the back cartridge. Printing costs are of under 0.5p per black page.

Cons:
1) It is BIG. It weights in excess of 12kg and fully set expect it to take around 60cm x 70cm of your precious space.
2) Speed can be an issue for some users. Prints around 12-15 pages of text in draft mode which is usefull for documents on which you only want to scribble on. Increase the quality and it can slow you down to about 8 pages per minute for a standard written document. Most of my print-outs are of only a few pages so it is not an issue for me but if you intend to print 50+ page files multiple times per day you could go for the J6510 instead.

Lastly, as I opened the box I found a voucher for a one year antivirus subscription. Pleasant surprise.
Overall, very satisfied with this printer. If you have the space where to put it and 10ppm is enough for you, then you will struggle to find something more functional and cheap to run in this price range.
0Comment62 of 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 August 2014
I've bought six printers for myself and my wife over the last four years, all from the same manufacturer who's name shall remain Epson. I've watched their standards drop from best on the market (MX80) to cheap plastic rubbish (all of them). Well I don't mind cheap plastic rubbish if it works and does it's job, but out of these six printers two remain. One was bought only two months ago and the other about two years ago. The one I bought two years ago was a professional photo printer and by far the most expensive: it uses more ink than my car does petrol but is more expensive. (And that one is showing signs of failing now.)

Which is why I decided to change allegiances. I have a Brother label printer which has never failed me in many years of use, so I opted for a Brother.
What a difference! It does everything I ask it to without arguing, putting in a new ink cartridge or cleaning the heads. It works seamlessly by WiFi every time. There are so many options for scanning and copying and of course it's a fax machine as well. I could go on, but I'd only bore you. But I will say that I've been using it for a month or so now and I just forget it's there: I pick up the prints when I need to and that's it. It sits in the corner without saying a word.

It was said that the ink cartridges provided were just a sort of starter pack to get me going. I've been using them at a fairly modest rate for a month and they're still three quarters full. While on the subject of ink, because I thought the starter pack would run out fairly quickly, I bought a set of (original Brother) long lasting cartridges from a well known internet auction site for £60. That is so cheap compared to any other printer companies considering the size of them. (£136 for the photo printer and they're half the size!)

Finally, When started this tome, I mentioned cheap plastic rubbish. Well the Brother is still plastic, but unlike most of the others, it most certainly isn't rubbish, but it was very cheap for what you get!
on 24 June 2012
Very happy with this printer, quality is very good and with paper cheap here [...] and compatable ink from Amazon here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silvertrade-MFC-J5910DW-MFC-J6510DW-MFC-J6710DW-MFC-J6910DW/dp/B007E93GTW/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1340529304&sr=1-1-spell its a printer you will want to use, my colleagues at work have also purchased purley on low running costs.

Some critics may say on very close detail (magnifying glass types) its not 100% perfect but us in the real world look at pictures from a bit of distance i.e. 30 + centimetres and even with my very good eyesight the results are great.
on 14 January 2013
I bought this machine in May when I my old workhorse Brother Laser breathed its last. My printing needs had changed during the last 3 years so this was my choice of moving forward after much research, plus the fact that I was able to puirchase at 50% off retail price. The machine is used daily for every listed purpose except fax for which I see no future usage. Both my wife and I are in our autumnal years and we have our own iPads which are used daily. My wife also owns an iPhone 4s, all three are 'wifi' linked to the printer so we can print whether we are in the West Wing or the East Wing of our Estate, aka 'lounge' or 'kitchen'. This recent purchase of the same machine was for our son-in-law's Christmas present, he operates his own business and finds it ideal for home home/office usage. The machine is easy to set up and operate and very cheap on the ink usage, once you become reconciled to 'compatible' cartridges, my best current price is £14 for 3 double capacity black cartridges, making this machine a bargain to buy and a bargain to use..
on 17 August 2013
Hi, would like to input on paper jamming etc. Paper will jam(why is a mystery)for the following reasons :-to much- to little- to tightly held in paper magazine. Try again I found this works well. To limit the noises many seem to suffer from- as it recommends keep the printer switched on at all times (it sleeps like we do) as you know it stirs the ink to reduce head cleaning thus longer printing less costs. To reduce many of the reported problems try using it as a remote device and not loaded onto your computer's brain (two short planks)For inks change them firmly and quickly. I have had many printers over the years with main problem of ink cost, this brother is brill and for the money am delighted.
ps.I do not use the fax facility but experiment with the controls you will have fun. happy printing
on 1 September 2014
This is the 2nd time I’ve bought this Brother printer. To buy the same model again says something and to find that it is still on sale 2 and a half years after buying my first model also tells me that this must be a winner. My first model performed outstandingly with no mishaps at all during the past 2 and a half years (apart from the occasional paper jam) until a blocked black nozzle produced printing with the black reduced by about 80%. This machine is now relegated to another room as a spare; I need clear black printing as I mostly produce sheet music for orchestral use.
The printer is very easy to set up. Yes I know it's a pain having to take out the paper tray to load different paper sizes, but after a while you get very slick. I don't do the duplex A3 printing as the printer demands very wide margins, so I always do this printing manually for better results. The booklet (A5 size) printing is excellent and gives me good results every time. Splendid to produce miniature scores and for proof-reading orchestral music parts.
I always use real Brother inks. I have sometimes considered using compatible inks, but having had a bad experience with a previous (Epson) printer (I could only afford compatibles for it!), I decided to stick to real Brother inks for this one. The LC1280XL refills do last a very long time and if I shop around, I can usually find them at a reasonable price.
This is an amazing printer on offer at an amazing price. Having used many different printers over the years, I think it’s one of the best yet that I’ve owned. I only hope they’re still around in a few year’s time when I’ll need to replace this one!
on 3 January 2014
I was looking for a SIMPLE A3 Printer to just print and scan into my computer for college presentations and artwork purposes, however this was the best I could find though overall its design is unnecessarily complex. I didn't mind if it was wireless though in the instructions there was little information and simple told me to plug in the power and a cord into the phone line, firstly, I just need to do some home scanning and printing, no faxes or anything like that so I did not require the phone line connection.

Having read the product description there was no mention of a USB cable so I ordered one myself, at worst, the printer came with one and I'd have a spare. Good thing I did, I bought 5M Printer & Fax USB Computer PC Cable Lead 5m for ALL Brother Devices Including DCP HL MFC and connected the printer directly to my PC, in all honesty the printer should come with the USB cable or at least provide a link and clearly say it does not provide one.

The USB connection is actually inside the printer which is really bad design, it would make more sense for it to be by the power socket but at least it tucks in neatly so it doesn't obscure anything once set, although in order to close the lid the plastic stand inside requires you to push it down while shutting it which is just begging to break eventually.

The Scanner is A4 and works perfectly well, I haven't really toyed with the settings on the machine other than on my PC, changing colour quality to Vivid instead and things like that, you also have to set it each time to print duplex but its only a couple of clicks so can't complain.

The inks that came with the printer worked perfectly fine and the printer produced its tester page with top quality, which is why in the instructions you have to load the paper tray first.

I'm yet to know why the top of the printer is designed as it is, so far its done nothing, the paper tray is in the front as you can see in the images. to load the paper tray you actually have to slide it out entirely and measurements for paper is labelled on the tray, plastic tabs can be moved to keep the paper secure and in position and even more fiddly is in order to load A3 paper you have to hold a small plastic switch (which is not in the instruction manual) and then slide/extend part of the tray. The tray then goes back into the printer and when loaded with A3 the tray protrudes from the main body and even more so with the holder extended to catch the printed paper.

In two words: unnecessarily fiddly.

But it does its job, its a bit too noisy, it sounds like I do when I can't find my inhaler half the time, and as soon as you turn on the main power (plug, not machine) it switches on just to switch itself off again? like a dog that hears somebody at the door then shrugs it off and goes back to sleep, it doesn't make any sense. It's also very big, and heavy, I've given it its own small TV unit to position it next to my PC desk and keep printer paper/replacement inks and so on underneath in the unit so it works out but still, its totally unnecessary. I understand that most A3 printers are made for offices and so it has all this stuff I don't need and its big, BUT you'd think there would be one scanner/a3 printer that was just a regular A4 printer with a larger paper tray and printing area, not all this junk, if there was even one simple a3 printer it would make a killing.

As it is, while the design needs some serious alterations, it works, prints A3 and smaller sizes too, scans A4, with the USB Cable it connects directly to my PC, the disc takes quite a few minutes to complete its process in your PC but overall is really simple, is perfect printing for my art/graphic design course and personal artwork prints too and for a great price.