on 18 May 2006
This is the story of a good-natured witch and her contented, purring, cat flying through the air on a broomstick without a care in the world - until the wind blows away the witch's hat. When they fly down to retrieve the hat, a polite, helpful dog brings it to them and becomes another passenger on the broom. Throughout the book they also pick up a bird and a frog, making the broom very overcrowded. Then disaster strikes; the broom snaps in two causing the witch to become separated from her friends and a potential meal to a large red dragon.

This is an extremely eye catching and appealing book aimed at preschool and lower primary school children. Donaldson and Schefflers story and illustrations work extremely well together to capture children's attention right from the start of the book. The use of illustration mixed through the large, bold, font makes it seem friendly to a beginner reader. But this is essentially a book for sharing, the use of repetition throughout the story encourages children to join in the reading and the book appeals to their sense of humour with comical allusions:"I'm planning to have WITCH AND CHIPS for my tea". Julia Donaldson has also made a song to accompany the book that children can enjoy singing and performing to.

This is a fantastic book and I cannot recommend it enough.
22 comments| 202 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 20 February 2007
As a dad to a 3 year old boy I have read this book approximately 60 times in the last 60 days. yes !!

Simply because my son chooses it every night as one of his bed time reads. The reason he chooses it is because it makes him smile, shout! and giggle as the story unfolds.

As a dad i believe this is a delightful read. A ryhming story (probably called poetry years ago) that takes very unexpected twists and turns.

Highly Recommended and well worth the money.
on 3 October 2012
We already have the paperback of this book because my son loves it so much. Even though he's too little to talk, he can still "sing" the rhyme when he wants to hear it, so we got him the board book so that he could join in with turning the pages (whilst we didn't have to worry about him trashing the book). What I didn't realise was that the board book is the American edition with the poem altered to take out the English words ("plait" and "chips"). This means that in places it doesn't scan very well and it's rather clunky, with quite big sections having to be rewritten to accomodate the change.

My son doesn't mind because he only really wants to look at the pictures and point, but I wish we'd known before we bought it, because it really isn't as good as the original.
on 19 April 2006
I bought this book a few weeks ago for our little boy of 18 months. I guess if I were to have thought more about it I would have waited a couple of years (a witch and a monster are both mentioned) I am glad I didn't though! He doesn't know what a witch is but he loves the rhymes and even taps the book now for the "taps the broomstick" bit. It is a very well paced story with a lot of characters that even the youngest reader/listener will recognise (cat, dog, bird, frog) and the rhyming is hilarious.

There are few books that our little one will sit through without squirming and getting bored. THis is the longest book by far that I read to him and he is hooked from start to finish. I will certainly be buying more by the same author!
on 22 June 2004
I am currently using Room on the Broom ' with a few groups of children, all of whom have reading difficulties ( their ages range from 6 to 8 years old ). They have loved this story and the illustrations, we have acted it out, designed our own brooms, decided who we would have on our own brooms ( choices range from a hippopotomus to David Beckham ! ). We have used the rhyme to generate others rhymes and in the spave of just a few sessions the children have turned from reluctant readers and writers , with low self esteem, into eager and more confident learners. This is a great book as it really engages with children and feeds their imagination and they all know it off by heart now but they still demand to read it in full every session. One little girl, who is an elective mute, who has never said anything out loud in a school environment before, suddenly chimed up at the appropriate moment 'Is there room on the broom for a frog like me!'. This says it all.
on 23 August 2004
This is definitely my favourite story for bedtime, let alone my son's! This is a great story with lots of action and easy repitition that children can understand. The illustrations are great, and really bring the action to life.
The story is basically about a witch who picks up a load of animals on her journey, a dog, a bird, a frog, and of course her trusty cat, then when she lands in trouble with a rather scary looking dragon the animals step in to save her - with some great lines. My son loves the bit where the animals come out of the bog looking like some 4 headed monster and shouts at the dragon, "Buzz off, thats my witch!" Brilliant stuff.
This book is similar to her other two (which we also have), the Gruffalo and The Smartest Giant in Town, but this is a slick and well written story that just flows off your tongue. A must for any toddler, and a must for any parent. Buy it now!
on 7 December 2003
One of those books my nearly four year old keeps wanting again and again, and which I never tire of reading. A wonderful rhythm which allows you to add your own ideas with stress and voices. There is the repetition of events small kids love, and the breaking of that repetition with surprises, which they also love. Plus the questioning of stereotypes is fun, for example contrasting the character of the dragon here and in Ratty Tatty is something he found fascinating, and having a friendly witch. Great illustrations.
Third time through and he could already finish off most of the sentences, a sure sign of a big hit. Taking Sunday School today with a group of 5 pre-schoolers/Key Stage 1ers we filled in some time at the end putting together the whole story, without having the book.
On a par with the Gruffalo and Cooper's Bear Under The Stairs.
on 3 January 2005
My daughter received this book for christmas and I would urge other parents to buy this book. A lovely rhyming story about a witch, her cat and friends she meets on her broomstick journey. Brilliant use of rhyme, using many 'more grownup' descriptive words regarding the countryside below her; therefore being a book that is appealing to a wider age group, my 5 year old and my 2 year old both enjoyed it; the illustrations are wonderful as well. Great book and perfect length too!
on 21 April 2002
My 4 year old boy can recite this book off by heart after only a week of reading. He is totally transfixed when it is being read and it has provoked many questions and lots of imaginary games of witches and dragons. The verse is excellent and easy for children to grasp and the illustrations are superb with the detail providing something new to talk about even if you do have read it every day for weeks (as you almost certainly will have to). I think this is as good as "The Gruffalo" and that really is saying something!
on 6 October 2006
My 3 year-old has been enjoying this book consistently for the last 6 or 7 months. There is marvellous poetry that is so good you don't even notice you are reading a poem. Memorable illustrations. A subtle moral that what-goes-around-comes-around, it is good to help others. Animals, a witch, a dragon, flying, mud. What more could a child ask for???