Is the British hype the cause of the No. 7 player's ranking unstoppable slide?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Feb 2014 17:27:03 GMT
worst says:
Is the exaggerated British media hype the cause of the No. 7 tennis player's ranking unstoppable slide?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2014 11:21:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Feb 2014 16:05:41 GMT
In the media and amongst fans the Scot has been placed on top of a criticism-free pedestal.
When he defeats an opponent, they say that it's because no one works harder than him and he is the fittest man on planet Earth.
When he loses, they say that no individual in all of humanity has ever endured as much pain from a bad back than he's had to.
As all the tennis pundits in the world know, he will NEVER go back on top...
His better days are behind his shoulders, now.
He has been very spoiled by British, populist media and by too much and too quick money.
Period.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2014 14:18:51 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Mar 2014 14:42:54 GMT
numerouno says:
Despite his so-so playing of the last months, I can see that Murray's devoted followers are still daydreaming.
It's increasingly worrying that the Scot might have to play his "bad back" sick note all the times, long before any tournament begins.
Even his die-hard fans must be tiring of constantly having to dream up excuses or apologize for him.
The usual BBC, which uses its sport/tennis page as an outlet for nationalism, keeps flashing press releases and TV reports about any possible issues in order to make pathetic headlines..
The last one is about the hypothetical conflict between Maria Sharapova and the Scot on the matter of Grand Slam matches' duration...
How pathetic it is!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2014 09:40:44 BDT
crock says:
As ridiculous and over-the-top ideas go, this is the worst. Why did he part ways with Lendl?
I thought that was going great. Eventually Ivan Lendl was sick and tired of the spoiled, multimillion foul-mouthed, snooty Scot
With all due respects to Mauresmo this just smacks of a publicity stunt, nothing more.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Aug 2014 23:52:22 BDT
brunella says:
Sorry, but he is past his best and other players will overtake him.
He's now suffering the effects of winning Wimbledon and thinking he's done it all - modern international tennis just isn't like that.
He may be the wonder boy at the All England Tennis Club, the BBC and for Sir Fergie but to keep at the top international level he has to leave all that behind him.

Posted on 24 Aug 2014 09:29:09 BDT
At the 2014 US Open eve, he declares that he is confident to reach the very top...
It seems to me that the mighty power of Simon Fuller, the massive amount of money which keeps flowing into his bank accounts despite his numerous defeats for over a year now, the delirious British media, his minor injury and dare I say his out-of-the-blue new coach are preventing him making progress past a certain level and as such we should lower our expectation level of him for the foreseeable future.
That too might stop him feeling he needs to roll every day on British newspapers these up beat statements out to keep fans positive.
At present they are having the reverse effect: build up then let down.
He is simply not motivated and full fit yet and not playing as well as we wish and know he can do again.
Let's back off for the next couple of years as it's going to take that long...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  16 Feb 2014
Latest post:  24 Aug 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Andy Murray: Seventy-Seven: My Road to Wimbledon Glory
Andy Murray: Seventy-Seven: My Road to Wimbledon Glory by Andy Murray (Hardcover - 7 Nov. 2013)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (123)