Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more

on 16 September 1999
This is a charming book which offers a unique insight into the world of B&B accomodation. All the properties listed have been personally checked by the author or his agents and chosen for their uniqueness. You get to stay in someones home, not a poorly run hotel wannabe, and the book gives an insight into the people you will be staying with as well as the accomodation. A perfect present and a great way to visit areas of the UK you haven't seen before. I have used it and can highly recommend the book and the people you will meet!
on 21 February 2003
I have used this, and other Alastair Sawday guides, many times and have always found them excellent. The information has proved to be accurate and the descriptions idiosyncratic but informative. I have stayed at 5 or 6 places located through the guide, and they have universally proved excellent.
on 27 May 2002
... I just got so sick of faceless and plastic hotels and places to stay that served you the nasty buffet breakfast and were staffed by people wearing polyester waistcoats. The alternative was stay at terribly expensive hotels that did it right, but I've had enormous fun staying at the places in this book. They're absolutely for me. The people and places are usually charming, sometimes a little 'creative' but always welcoming and interesting. It's not failed me yet.
on 4 January 2002
We'd got fed up of poor service in expensive hotels and fancied a change. The book is well written and honest and it's got some great B&Bs in it. We've stayed in two so far and they have been exactly as described - very special. Both of the owners we stayed with treated us brilliantly, recommended restaurants etc. We're going to try the French one next.
on 5 October 2011
Previous review was attributed to wrong edition.

British Bed & Breakfast (Alastair Sawday's Special Places to Stay British Bed & Breakfast)

Once the Sawdays guides were about a travel writer who had discovered special places that were hard to find. Sawdays is sadly like many institutions now just a commercial publishing house. They charge B&B owners hundred's of pounds to be listed with them and in some areas like "Canopy and Stars" are just a booking agent with more than 20% of your bill going straight into their pockets.

All that aside they often recommend B&B's etc that have owners who don't understand the internet and use Sawdays as a marketing tool. Hence many of their places are more hip-op than a hip stop and more granny than grandiose. This is often why they have only a few 'special places' in major tourist destinations. Save your money and for all it's faults use Tripadvisor it doesn't take money from the owners and is up to date and usually quite accurate.

It's a pity but sadly the internet has been great news for Sawday's profile but not so good for those who just want a special place to stay.
on 7 June 2001
Having used Alistair's books for around 3 years now, I try not to use anything else.
From The Highlands, and the best seafood I've tasted, to a converted Oxfordshire stable with wonderful charm.
It's definately a book to share with friends and family, although, I'm buying another copy,as I haven't had mine returned yet!
Enjoy.
on 15 December 2000
This Alistair Sawday guide to B and Bs in Britain will open up a whole new world for you. The book is filled with wonderfully individual, inexpensive places to stay. We have yet to choose any place from this book which has been anything short of fabulous! It also makes a great present for anyone!
on 5 May 2013
As always this book by this author is excellent.
It gives good coverage of most of the best B & B establishments.

If you are on a touring holiday I believe it is an essential item to take with you.

When you wish to move on to the next place just phone ahead and book,. It is all so simple and easy.
Over the years my wife and me have used it many times. I highly recommend it to all travellers.

The very young Johnny Boy.
on 2 January 2004
This is a great book full of top quality accomodation, well written and has never let me down. There are lots of websites on UK accomodation, I also suggest you check the Internet
on 22 April 2013
Good book for someone looking for a B&B on the spur of the moment. Not as useful for advanced planning, if you already know where you want to stay, geographically.