Format: PaperbackChange

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 February 2015
The perfect companion for all military history enthusiasts is: THE ROMA VICTRIX WINE BEAKERCalix Imperium, Roma Victrix Pewter wine beaker

The story of the development and use of these big guns is very well told by author Dale Clark. There are a number of nice period photographs of these guns as well as period illustrations of the design of a few of them. What really helps are the excellent illustrations of Brian Delf. What appears a bit indistinct in a photo is brought to life and clarity by his works.

I was completely amazed at what had to be done to operate and move some of these behemoth units; whether they be artillery pieces or mortars. I did learn the difference between the two, as well as a number of other interesting pieces of information.

Such makes this that perfect primer to these big guns as well as providing information on the operation and camouflage of these weapons. The sound of a barrage by these guns must have been incredible, which has to explain to many of us why our grandfathers were a bit deaf!
on 3 November 2013
I have an interest in finding out more about my Grandfathers part in WW1. I know that he was in the 70th Siege Battery RGA 40th Heavy Artillery Group. This book gives a good insight into what that would be like and what was involved. I can recommend this as additional reading for anyone with similar interests as mine.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 December 2012
A thorough, well-researched and well-illustrated account of what is a technically demanding subject. Highly recommended for any student of warfare.
on 31 May 2015
A fascinating book, which gave me a wonderful insight into my grandfather's role in WW1.
on 4 October 2014