A safe and comfortable seat for the older child
The Kidfix Isofit car seat is Britax's test winner in the Group 2-3 category, offering the best in all-round comfort and protection. Suitable for children between 15 and 36 kg (approximately 4 to 12 years old), the seat is ideal for parents or grandparents moving children between different vehicles, particularly cars with Isofix fittings.
Isofit makes fitting simple but secure
Isofix is an internationally recognised way of fixing a child car seat to a vehicle without using a seatbelt. As of February 2011, it is required by law that the system be integrated into a minimum number of seats in all new cars. Isofix anchorage points are installed in the vehicle with matching connectors on the child safety seats, minimising the risk of the car seat being installed incorrectly.
The Isofit system is specific to Group 2-3 child car seats, and uses the Isofix safety system for fixing the seat in the car. In the event of an accident, the system allows the seat to move slightly forwards with the child, keeping the seatbelt in the correct position and controlling the energy levels more efficiently. The direct connection to the car chassis prevents side movement of the seat and improves protection from a side collision.
Optimum side impact protection
One out of four car accidents is a side collision, and side collisions account for 20% of child fatalities, so it is vital to provide side impact protection for your child. The Kidfix has deep, softly padded side wings which ensure your child is protected in the event of a side collision by absorbing the crash energy, reducing the impact on your child. During sleep and rest, they support your child from the sides and help to keep your child in the correct position.
Keep Cool Cover (sold separately) regulates your child's temperature on hot days.
The Kidfix car seat does not have an integral harness; instead, your child is secured using the car's standard three-point seatbelt. Children can be injured if the seatbelt is not correctly positioned across their body, so the Kidfix has guides to help you correctly position the seatbelt over your child's shoulder and pelvis, away from the vulnerable neck and stomach areas.
Why buy a Group 2-3 car seat?
A Group 2-3 car seat is designed for children weighing between 15 and 36 kg (approximately 4 to 12 years old, but it is the weight that decides which seat you need). Since April 2008, the Highway Code has specified that each child who is less than 1.35 metres tall or younger than 12 must be secured in an appropriate child restraint system which has been successfully tested according to ECE 44/03 or 44/04 standards. A child car seat gives the child a higher sitting position, ensuring the adult seatbelt can be positioned correctly across their body.
When should you move your child up to using a Group 2-3 car seat?
For safety reasons, you should keep your child in each stage for as long as possible, until they reach the weight limit or their head reaches the top of the seat. Move from a Group 1 seat when the upper edge of the shell is roughly at eye level of the child, or they exceed the weight limit. Do not move too early to a Group 2-3 because these seats are wider to accommodate larger children. Also, a younger child's shoulders are too narrow to hold to the safety belt securely. A small child can therefore easily slip out from under the belt, especially when they fall asleep during the journey.
Features of the Kidfix Isofit car seat
- Isofit system anchors the seat directly to Isofix connection points
- Optimum side impact protection with deep, softly padded side wings
- Seatbelt guides help you correctly position the three-point seatbelt over the child's shoulder and pelvis
- Indicators confirm that the Isofit hooks are engaged
- Seat grows with the child, suitable for use from 15 to 36 kg (approximately 4 to 12 years old)
- Easily accessible seatbelt path
- Height-adjustable headrest to 11 positions
- Adjustable backrest allows installation in a wide range of cars
- Multi-recline position when secured with Isofit
- When secured with Isofit, no need to strap the seat in when not in use
- Easy to transfer between cars
- Softly padded and washable cover
- Option to install with Isofix connection points or three-point seatbelt
Car seat safety essentials
- Never buy a second-hand car seat – you can not know its full history, and it may have been weakened or damaged in a previous incident or have parts missing
- Buy the right car seat for your child's weight – age ranges are just guidelines
- Move your child up to the next car seat group when they outgrow their current seat, but don't rush to do this too soon
- Install the seat according to the manufacturer's instructions
- Always use the car seat, even on very short journeys
Why choose a Britax car seat?
When you buy a Britax car seat, you can be reassured that you are benefitting from over 40 years of experience and innovation in child safety. Britax's products are tested to the highest standards, and it is one of very few brands to own in-house crash-test systems – the kind used in the automotive industry – ensuring it provides optimum protection and safety for children. Beyond this, Britax listens to its customers and feeds their experiences into future product developments, so that their car seats and travel systems meet real-life needs.