Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 March 2003
Having lived for 2 years in New York and 7 years in London, I loved this book and felt it really rang true. It highlights some core values and differences in perceptions between US and UK culture that endure, despite speaking (almost) the same language and sharing many sitcoms and retail chains. It's a very quick read, and very funny - it had me giggling out loud on several tube journeys, as well as giggles from the strangers around me reading over my shoulder! There were occasional points which seemed overly stereotypical or slightly out of date, but this didn't detract from my enjoyment of the book. Highly recommended
on 11 February 2003
I am "British" (born in UK, grew up in SA) and my wife is American. We've lived in the US, Netherlands, France and the UK for last 3 years. This book is the best explanation I've ever read to help me understand my mother (British through and through), my new neighbours and my in-laws. On a recent visit by my in-laws I read the part on the US view of death (your fault if you die, you haven't eaten well enough/exercised enough/etc.) expecting "yes, but ... " commments. All I got was "damned right! Of course it is." And at the same time you get a really good chuckle.
I read it originally in NL. Reread it again since living in the UK and a whole slew of new observations about Brits suddenly made sense!
If you like Bill Bryson, you'll love Brit-Think Ameri-Think.
VINE VOICEon 24 April 2011
Technology is making the world a smaller place. This is an amusing book, but global communication and social networking have erased, to a certain extent, some of our differences. The differences today are more subtle, and references to things that happened over a decade ago make the book seem very out-of-date. Nevertheless, it is a fun read and revealing insight into the ways American's think. I think the British bits might benefit from being written entirely by a Brit, rather than an American who thinks she understands the Brits.
on 12 March 2000
An essential, light-hearted look at the differences between our apparently similar cultures. With wit and fact it unravels the not so subtle differences and leaves it up to the reader to decide who is the weirdest!
A must for the plane - what ever direction you are crossing the Atlantic.
on 12 August 1999
This book gets British and US Culture down to a tee. My wife and I lived in Russia for 4 years with a group of Yanks and Brits. Everyone agreed this book positioned us correctly, have bought several copies for Brits and americans crossing the pond.
on 19 March 2012
I was due to travel to work in the USA and bought this light-hearted book, and one more (heavy!) serious guide for businessmen.

The Brit-Think, Ameri-think ..... is surprisingly useful and gives a good impression of what to expect in the USA. I suspect it will minimise any culture shock for Brits.

Buy it - - this is mostly a good or very good read - - the first 50% of the book is the funniest, and the quips by the author make it all the more more memorable and useful.

The view of the "British" is also useful for our cousins when they visit the UK - - but (USA) beware - - the UK is even more "concentrated" in its character than this book explains - - due to the UK's open borders and so on - - plus this is a small island which makes it appear even worse in the cities for visitors.
on 29 October 2012
Need a.quick lesson in understanding the point of view of citizenry of the USA or Great Britain? This is a good place to start! There are many books that attempt to help us understand each other, and some of them are very good. This guide, however, sets the American thinker side by side with his or her British counterpart in short vignettes with accuracy and a gentle humor that enlightens the reader. Each vignette is just a few pages of reading, plain spoken and brief enough to be read in short bursts.
on 4 February 2009
...but take with a pinch of salt. Ms.Walmsley is an amusing writer and makes some good points but, for my money, what she says (about the UK at least) is not always accurate and somewhat outdated now in places. Treat as entertainment (on which level it works reasonably well) rather than straight information.
on 10 February 2010
I bought this as a light 'lavatorial' read, (oh, this must be British toilet humour they always talk about) thinking that perhaps those little idiosyncracies we (American and British) misunderstand about each other, might come to light a little more readily and with the odd chuckle along the way.

But no. As you delve further into the book it becomes apparent that the Brit-way is being is being looked down on from a lofty height. While the Ameri-way is seen as self-indulgent yes, but far more positively.

Now this would be fine if we were dealing with cold hard truths, but in fact this outdated view seems to hide a resentment to the authors perceived view of what is the Brit-way. It's all loosely wrapped up in a kind of humour, to make it palatable - sure there are accuracies here and there, but I do get a sense of pom-pumelling going on here.

The best of British and the best of America would make for a dynamic read - this doesn't.

So if you are compelled to buy this book (and let's face it, it'll only be out of curiosity, as I did) please make sure you garnish each page with a helping of salt.

Bottom Line (there's that British humour again):
About as useful and helpful as stating that all Irish people are ginger and like Guinness.
But being positive - as funny as a Whoopee cushion.
on 5 April 2016
No comments about the content, it is up to you to decide whether you like it or not. but the quality of the book's paper is not very satisfactory, also the book is quite thin. I bought it as a gift - certainly can't go on its own.