Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£14.99

on 14 December 2013
Well-designed in colour on decent paper, it is a pleasure to use. Actions are explained by numbered steps in PC screen images in colour, which save you from getting lost - though the text size here is small.

It is suitable both for beginners and more advanced users. It is comprehensive, but if a feature is not covered fully (Windows 8.1 is very complex) you are are normally guided to where information can be found. If there is a problem it is with Windows 8.1 itself which can be a nightmare if you are familiar with Windows 7.

The previous 'Brilliant Windows 7' served me well: so this version should be useful until the next Windows update. As a Windows 8.1 guide I don't see how it could be much better - within the limits of its 556 pages. If you are struggling with 8.1, as many people are, this should see you through.
on 24 March 2014
I have quite recently bought this book and am still working my way through it. I have a fairly basic knowledge of computing and have only just ventured into Windows 8.1 territory. On that basis my initial impressions are that it is informative in a way which is easy to follow for the relative novice BUT my one big criticism is that many of the numerous diagrams which I anticipated would be so useful are just too small to read easily.

I would suggest anyone considering this book should check it out in a local store if possible rather than relying upon the "look inside" facility online or, you know the section which says "customer who bought this item also bought", add magnifying glass!
on 28 January 2014
I thought the previous Brilliant Vista book was very useful and this version for 8.1 does the same job. Just enough detail to take you through all the changes and very clearly written and explained
on 30 April 2014
I have quickly found that this book - and Windows 8.1 for Dummies - is all I need for the moment, whilst learning the subtleties of this new OS (after years with Win98 and then Win XP !!). brilliant with its colour is particularly good - it has relevant examples showing detailed steps with appropriate explanations; and it has useful and detailed illustrations
on 15 January 2015
Not quite as 'brilliant' as you might think. My first dip into the book was to find out about email settings & it tells me I can have POP3 or IMAP. WRONG! (There's no POP3 functionality in Win 8.1). Not a good start and a rather fundamental mistake. I'll look for something else...........
on 17 July 2015
I have had these books before. They are OK but finding your way to a specific problem solution is a nightmare. The terminology used seems out of step with the actual function in Windows. Say you wish to edit a photo. Edit photo does not appear in the index. Working with Photos and Pictures is in chapter 8 page 191. Searching that chapter manually you will locate 'Editing Photos' on page 196. Its only 5 pages away but..... why cannot Editing photos appear in the index. There are many, many examples of this type of crazy method of finding how to do specific tasks. Once you find the subject you are looking for its an OK description.
on 26 August 2014
Helpful and well laid out with a side column explaining key points. Not much technical detail for advanced users is my only downside. Well worth getting though if new to 8.1 :)
on 25 February 2014
8.1 must be the least intuitive operating system Windows have produced. Without this book it would take hours of trial and error to achieve what took seconds on the old system. The pages are clear with step by step instructions. It is not necessary to read the book as the index is very helpful and you can focus on the problem in hand. The system is still dreadful for PC users but the book helps your sanity.
on 5 July 2014
OK as reference book but found its organization could be improved.
on 13 March 2015
this book came in handy. My first experience of windows 8,1 was not good. However, this book put me staright and I now enjoy using this version of Windows