- Hardcover: 224 pages
- Publisher: Ebury Press (29 Aug. 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0091955602
- ISBN-13: 978-0091955601
- Product Dimensions: 19.6 x 2.4 x 25.2 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.9 out of 5 stars See all reviews (285 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 2,872 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Brilliant Bread Hardcover – 29 Aug 2013
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"[an] excellent bread bible... Extraordinarily well-written and produced, engaging for beginners with something to offer even the seasoned pro, this is a potential long-term classic" (Tim Hayward Financial Times)
"Morton’s cheerful, geeky enthusiasm communicates itself on every page, and step-by-step pictures make learning the various techniques needed easy." (Carolyn Hart Telegraph)
Exciting new collection of simple bread recipes from hugely popular Great British Bake Off finalist James MortonSee all Product Description
Inside This Book(Learn More)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
James Morton takes ALL the worry and mystery away, and inspires you with the confidence to roll up your sleeve and start weighing flour. The foreword is very informative and fun, and the recipes themselves are delicious and so easy to follow- who knew you could leave dough to prove in the fridge overnight?!
Book itself is beautiful, with glorious pictures printed on lush, thick pages.
Definitely recommend this, would make an exceptional Christmas present- to a loved one or yourself :-)
On to what you are buying. There are two things you ought to know that should make you want this book.
1. Most book on baking recycle the same tired cliches without contributing anything new to the field. The authors have apparently never made a mistake from which they learned something new or conducted a controlled experiment. You just get what the books they read and the people they studied under told them. This is common right across the field of cooking where all kinds of nonsense is recycled as gospel but it seems to me to be particularly bad in baking. The first book I read to challenge the orthodoxy was Dan Lepard's The Handmade Loaf: Contemporary Recipes for the Home Baker and frankly it was the last one I had read as well. James Morton's book "Stands on the shoulders of giants" and taking Lepard's developments goes further. Perhaps it is the result of combining baking with a scientific education. I am a pretty good baker and as such recipes are pretty much all I get from most bread books.Read more ›
All other books I own that feature sourdough recipes (amongst them the Bourke Street Bakery and Bouchon Bakery Book) didn't explain the process of making a starter and using it as well as Brilliant Bread does. Since buying the book, I have successfully made a number of sourdough breads, all of them turning out beautifully.
Whether you consider yourself a seasoned baker or have just figured out how to turn on your oven, this is the book you want. Clear and concise instructions make these recipes fail safe and you will never be tempted to buy a less than stellar loaf from the supermarket again.
I purchased this book as recommended by a friend and found that not only did it contain a lot of recipes and good ideas, but also explained the science behind baking which has allowed me to understand it further and get even better results from my baking.
Well worth purchasing.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Brilliant Bread - brilliant book! Really inspiring book to explain & guide you through bread making. Loved James' no nonsense approach- he says it as it is - plain & simple.Published 23 hours ago by H MCI
Really nice, down to earth and useful book. Tried many recipes which worked fine.Published 2 days ago by E. Z.
Given as a gift. Quick deliver. Some fantastic recipes in this book and easy to followPublished 2 days ago by Amazon Customer
As a new bread baker i found this book very helpful and would recommend it to everyone who wants to start baking their own bread.Published 3 days ago by AR
Purchased for my newly retired/bored husband. Cannot believe how a burly old ex builder has taken to making such wonderful bread. This book is a delight. Read morePublished 3 days ago by Karen White
An utterly wonderful book. I've made bread for years by hand, and thought I was quite good at it. Today, after reading this book, I made the easiest loaf ever- no kneading, no mess... Read morePublished 4 days ago by lily99
The writing in this book is so down to earth and friendly, it's a pleasure to read. James explains the science of bread which is very interesting and makes the baking process not... Read morePublished 4 days ago by Emma Barnes
Bought this as a gift for my Mum, she loves it as it explains what the bread should look like and gives suggestions as to why you might have gone wrong, she loves the easy to... Read morePublished 8 days ago by Shell
My husband does all of the cooking and he's working his way through it. He's thoroughly enjoying it. Well written, easy and interesting.Published 18 days ago by Mrs. S. A. Ogilvie