Format: Hardcover|Change

on 27 November 2013
I bought this book as a present for my husband but he has not had a chance to read it yet as I decided to read a few pages. Bad move as I soon found myself turning the pages and settling down with a bottle of Thornbridge IPA, one of the authors many recommended beers. This is unlike anything I have read before, I don't normally like books about Beer and leave them for my husband as they are often dry and a little boring. This book was laugh out loud funny in places. It is written with authority on every aspect of beer and brewing from beer tasting, the ingredients, growing your own beer, the history of certain beers, beer festivals and you feel like you are down the pub with the author having a chat over a pint. For someone like me who will never want to starting brewing there was a "drinkers guide to brewing", a work of genius. I even got a chance to put what I found out from this book into practice as found myself sitting next to a self proclaimed beer expert the other day and I found myself correcting him! (sorry Clive). At least now I know which beers to get my husband for Christmas and hopefully I can get him to do all the driving so I can drink them all too!
on 8 January 2014
Previous reviewers were right about giving this book as a present - I was a very chuffed recipient Christmas just gone. Never judge a book by its cover and this one is a bit boring and the paper is slightly cheapo too. But it's everything you could want from a beer book apart from a secret compartment containing the stuff of course. It tells you all you want to know about ingredients, brewing, styles of beer, and where to get it. There's a great deal about making your own home brew in this book including a good number of recipes - and even down to growing your own hops (!) - but in a way in which you can learn a lot even if you have no intention of, and anyway the OH would go ballistic.

Above all Brewing Britain is about drinking and enjoying a great pint whatever your preference and the author gives many detailed, thoughtful and tempting beer recommendations - his "perfect pints" - based on his wistful and gently humorous recollections of a lifetime of sessions round the country. If you only had one beer book this should be it.
Whilst there's a lot of people out there that enjoy wine, it feels to a certain degree that I'm a man out of my time. I love a good pint of bitter which for me has a great nutty flavour, a depth of richness and of course a taste that could accompany any number of meals that works wonderfully well.

SO when I had a chance to learn from a brew master about what hops and yeast to utilise for a cracking pint, I was more than intrigued. After all, I can take what I love from the various different types and tailor it to my taste buds. Add to this a comprehensive guide to some well-known brews out there alongside the chance to learn from years of experience all round has given me a confidence to try creating not only something from scratch rather than a standard brew kit, but will allow me to hopefully take a further step on a journey for my own perfect pint. Thank you Andy.
on 28 November 2013
An excellent A-Z no nonsense guide to beers and beer brewing. It also has a handy guide to terminology so the next time you're at a beer tasting and the bloke next to you says, "Is that a mild in your tulip?" then you'll know what he's on about. Home brewers can get very particular about the conditions of barely, types of yeast, temperature, etc. All usefully explained in a practical and informative way and easy to find the info you need for both people like me who are getting their first taste for the subject and seasoned brewers wanting to up their game or beat the nerd of the pub in a blind taste test. Fascinating and I know I'll get a lot of use out of it yet. Cheers!
on 15 November 2013
An excellent read, after not brewing for a number of years it gave me back the brewing bug, would recommend to all
on 27 November 2013
I bought this for my partner for Christmas and have ended up wanting to read it myself after dipping into a few chapters. It's full of interesting information and the recipes look well researched. I think this book can be enjoyed equally both by those who actually want to brew and by those who just want to sit and think about it! I'm looking forward to finishing this book once the Christmas present recipient has finished it and if he doesn't try out some of the brews I just might.....
on 5 May 2014
Lots of information and lots I did not know. The technical details are here as well an easy guide to lead you through the process.
on 11 January 2014
This is a wonderful book on brewing and the state of brewing in the UK. It's ideal for people that want to learn a bit more about all of the beer styles available and brewing in general. There are some great homebrew recipes included, created by some of the leading commercial brewers in Britain. Highly recommended if you have even a passing interest in beer.
on 4 February 2016
Brewing Britain is part home brewers recipe/style guide, part beer drinking and 100% Beer Nerd for those interested in British Beers.

Andy Hamilton is a great source of knowledge when it comes to the word of fermentations and here he has applied him self most well to that noblest of drinks, the British Pint. If your looking to learn more about the 'pint', it's styles and possibly brew some yourself, then this is a good text to get hold of to up your game. There isn't barrels of info on each style, but there is enough to get you going with recipes and recommended drinking, to get to know the styles.

Highly recommended for beginner brewers and those touring the UK and looking to learn more about UK Beer.

(Disclaimer: I British beer in all its styles).
on 27 November 2013
I bought this as a present for my Dad and he loves it! I had a peep before handing it over and found it entertaining and interesting, even though I'm not really a beer drinker.