on 30 November 2012
I bought the Breville Halo Fryer a few days ago.
I had read all the reviews on Amazon.
After being a lover of the actifry, but had to admit although they do what they say the actifry is badly designed.

So I as my last Actifry had just gone in the bin, I decided to give the Breville a try.

The Breville arrived and it was well packed as expected.
Once out of the box I noticed that compared to the Actifry it was more solidly built.
The materials used where of better standard and quality.
The Breville looks smart and although is a bit larger than the Actifry, i like the look of this machine.

After reading the instructions I decided to cook some chips with real potatoes not frozen.

I placed my chips in the Breville after rinsing them and patting them dry.
I put in the required amount of oil.
Set the timer and off it started.
No problem at first, but within a couple of minutes, the paddle began to stall, it was struggling to push the chips around.
I took the chips out and put them back in again, ensuring the paddle was place inside properly, but still had the same problem. In the end I had to take out the paddle and let the chips cook without the paddle.
This meant that every few minutes i had to open the machine and shake the chips to ensure they were cooked evenly.
The chips in my opinion were far better than the ones out of my old Actifry.

I have now contacted Amazon who are sending out a replacement. I am hoping that the one I have is faulty and the replacement will work fine.

I will post an update when I have tried the new machine.

UPDATE AFTER REPLACEMENT RECEIVED.

well i was expecting better.

The new Breville Halo arrived. i was hoping that the first one was faulty.
It seems that this is not the case.

The paddle still seems to be the problem.
I tried to do chips again, but they started to turn to mush or mash very quickly.
So I decided to try parsnips, which I think are a bit more robust.

in they went and within a minute or two the paddle could not cope. this was not a mass amount of parsnips, this was one parsnip cut into strips. if you like mush chips and mush veg, then this is the machine for you. i prefer my chips to look like chips and my roast parsnips to resemble roast parsnips.

So here is my verdict.

Pros & Cons for both machines.

I will start with the Actifry.

1. Smaller and less bulky than the Breville

2. Does actually cook chips and veg without turning them into mash

3. Takes approx 20 mins to cook proper chips

4. The material used to make this machine is in my opinion is cheap and substandard
I.e

The lid has a tendency to break off at either the opening catch or the fixing which attaches it to the machine,
The paddle after a few months becomes brittle and will break.
The rubber under the paddle disintegrates
The lid which is supposed to let you look at you food cooking, distorts in colour, making viewing hard.

All the above said the machine does cook the food properly.

Now to the Breville.

1. Bulkier than the Actifry.
2 a more solid machine very robust.
3. Materials used are in my opinion far superior apart from the paddle.
4. Actually takes approx 30 mins to cook real chips.
5. The only problem I see with this machine is that for some reason they have skimped on the paddle. A child could have designed it better. I for one can see where the problem is. The paddle does not need the long black piece of plastic it sits on. No use or purpose.
If the paddle was independent to the machine then it would work fine in my opinion.

So the decision is yours.

My comments to the manufacturers

I for one will be going back to the Actifry, not because it is better quality because it is not, shame on you Tefal, but because it works. Although replacement parts are expensive.
Tefal you need to ask yourselves why you need to supply replacements parts, could it be that the material you are using is of poor quality. I rest my case.

Breville.
Why on earth have you made such a robust machine with a substandard paddle. Maybe you were trying to get a piece of the action to early. . You should have waited until you sorted out the paddle.

Again ladies and gentlemen. The choice is yours.

I hope this helped.

20/12/2012. Update
I decided as I said above to go back to the Actifry, but not the 1kg Actifry the family Actifry 1.5kg. The more expensive model.
See my review on the 1.5kg Actifry.
4848 comments|667 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 June 2012
Great alternative to my actifry which as predicted, broke after one year's intensive useage. I miss my actifry but decided to give the Halo a go and I'm very pleased. It cooks in the same way but is a bit easier to clean AND you can take out the paddle for cooking delicate food like Salmon*. *This is what I've heard, I only ever cook chips in it to be honest and I use fry lite instead of oil for even lower fat chips. Cooks oven chips to perfection without having burnt bits / raw bits (you can go off and watch telly and forget about them). Great for dieters, have lost 7 1/2 stone with slimming world and this is perfect for syn free chips.

I know it's expensive BUT you can't put a price on your health!
66 comments|200 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2013
Similar experience to a few other reviewers, I am awarding a lower rating because of the paddle. The moving paddle often ends up pushing a tsunami of food up to the "sleeping policeman" part of the same accessory, driving through it (leaving the tsunami in situ for the next time the paddle comes round). I wonder if the next version will have the paddle "spin", "vibrate" or "flick" when it senses an increase in resistance to movement?. It maybe that there is a maximum chip length that I need to adhere to to stop the chips from interlocking together.

Also, I found a piece of carrot or potato (I was cooking carrot and potato chips) repeatedly returning to the same spot on the narrow but horizontal ledge/rim of the bowl. I'd open the cover, flick the piece back into the rest of the bowl contents, and a few minutes later it (or one looking very similar) would be back!

However I do like the chips this makes, but I still need to experiment with the cooking time, as the chips can look great, but still be a little uncooked when bitten. Broccoli came out crispier than I expected, but Brussels sprouts were fine!
on 24 February 2014
I couldn't be happier with this item. Have read a lot of reviews about it before buying and must admit I was in two minds as some reviews were really bad. BUT they're not true.Nothing gets smashed up in this,everything comes out perfect,crispy,well cooked and in one piece. Can't sing enough phrases about it and used every day since purchase about 2 months ago now. Made fresh and frozen chips,grilled chicken,pork, cheese on toast,garlic bread and you name it,I';ve tried in the Halo. Much faster then conventional oven as it's smaller,easy to clean,brilliant!

The only downside if any that it's quiet big and robust so you need space for it or leave it out on worktop if you use it as much as I do.

..having used this for 1 year and 8 months unfortunately the plastic latch on the door has broken off so the door doesn't close,hence it won't turn on. The 1yr guarantee is over so now putting a full mug on top of it to make it work. Such a shame that a well designed equipment was made structurally to break....filling the land field forcing to buy new. Also the price is more then twice now,then when I've bought it.
on 16 October 2013
I'm not one to discard anything if it ain't broke, but I have made an exception for this product. It is useless! My main reason for buying it was to make "healthy" chips, but every time I put potatoes into the bowl, they get stuck under the paddle and the whole thing seizes up. I have tried using oven chips and the same thing happens and they also disintegrate into a mush after a few minutes. Don't waste your money on this. Buy an Actifry instead as I have had to do.
on 19 December 2012
This product fries without much oil as described, but is not quite as good as the best Tefal Actifry, the family model (the one which has had all the design faults fixed) Oven chips are not as crispy as in the Tefal or roast potatoes. However, this machine is slightly quicker in cooking. It will still save you fat on your cooking. We've also tried the Philips air fryer and the Tefal Actifry family is the most successful and versatile of this time of machine.
on 2 December 2012
Id heard that these acti fryers were great so i bought the Breville Acti Fryer and have since sent it back. Waste of money and hassle
The chips are not crispy etc, they all break up and become mush, same as other foods like sausages.

The only positive I could give it is it takes little time for food to be ready. It may be ok for some who dont mind mushy food and get their food ready in about 15 mins
on 1 November 2013
My Mum bought this Health Fryer for my birthday as she knows how I try to have a healthy life style. Well I can say the Breville Halo Health Fryer is wonderful. It cooks food really well with very little oil needed and the end result is great. Homemade chips are crunchy in the out side and light and fluffy on the inside. Fish is moist when cooked and my roast potatoes and other veg have so much flavor. I would recommend the Breville Halo Health Fryer to any one that want's great testing with the smallest amount of oil needed. The Halo Health Fryer is also very easy to clean and very quiet when working. Really love my Halo. Thanks to Breville for making it and Mum for getting it for me.
on 24 February 2014
This item is a total disaster as far as cooking chips is concerned, tried 6 varieties of potatoes but all it did was chew them up, also very slow cooking. SENT it back as useless.
on 21 June 2015
I used to have one, the paddle attachment gave up the ghost after almost 2 years of hard work. It was used almost every day so can't really complain.
As for the cooking - I always felt it wasn't quite hot enough, or perhaps the heat didn't stay on for quite long enough so the chips ended up slightly anaemic/soggy. A typical full load of chips of over a kilo seemed to shrink down to some quite nice chips with lots of crispy crumbs. Never enough for 4 people by the time it finished rotating and mashing up some of the chips. It did do fish fingers, breaded, battered frozen stuff quite well withpout the paddle bit.
I now have a Philips airfryer. Officially only takes 0.8Kg and certainly takes up a lot less room than the Halo. However, it doesn't have a paddle and doesn't destroy a quarter of the chips so by the end of cooking there are enough chips for four people and the chips are brown and crispy.
Also does sausages, bacon, steaks, fish fingers etc. Baked potatoes good too.
You do have to keep an eye on the Airfryer and 'shake the basket' every few minutes to stop things sticking but I find it makes it feel more like I'm actually cooking stuff rather than just sticking it in the Breville and letting it run itself for 30 minutes.
Unfortunately for the Breville I can't think of even one reason to buy it instead of the Airfryer.
When the Airfryer does eventually break (used almost daily for over a year now) I will not be considering a Breville or Tefal type fryer but may well get the slightly larger Airfryer model, hoping they will be cheaper by then! Even the larger airfryer will still take up less room than the others.