Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 205 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2013 21:52:16 GMT
Aaa-Alex says:
With mine, it's not that. Even where track names start with their sequence number, they don't follow a logic I can see. I just loaded a CD today (via USB) and the tracks arrived in this order: 24, 01, 04, 05, 07, 08, 16, 19... The track names start V, I, M, B, M... So even if I had your nifty programme it wouldn't answer this. The tracks are in the right sequence on the flash drive, by the way.

Posted on 6 Dec 2013 10:53:17 GMT
G D. Lewis says:
I posted a comment on the 12th July 2012. I still stand by it. in fact I have stopped using the Brennan. The display went!
Life is far to short to spend anymore time on this useless and expensive piece of hardware.
If you want to look at something better i.e. Internet Radio, supports any SATA hard drive, easy to back up, nice colour screen, supports lossless FLAC files and best off all "Open Architecture" the "Cocktail Audio X10" has to fit the bill.
If money isn't an object take a look at the new "Cocktail Audio X30" with an SSD (Solid State Drive). As pop Larkin would have said "Perfick"

Posted on 6 Dec 2013 14:00:42 GMT
I bought a JB7 from eBay a couple of months ago. It recently stopped outputting sound, so I contacted the company asking how to get it repaired in the US. They gave me an 800 number to call, which I did. I was told then that they weren't allowed to accept a repair from anyone except the original owner. Unbelievable! I'm trying to argue through Customer Service, but no reply yet. Very unhappy.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2013 20:45:32 GMT
User201202 says:
A Cocktail Audio X30 appears to retail at £999.95 at Richer Sounds.

That's Linn territory.

Posted on 19 Dec 2013 11:13:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Dec 2013 11:41:26 GMT
I have had a Brennan for the last three years, which I have used less and less over time, and I have now finally decided to sell.

Why? Well, first let me say that I've never experienced any reliability issues, and that the unit has always done exactly what it claimed it would do. In addition, I have consistently enjoyed the quality of sound produced, the unexpected juxtapositions of artist and genre thrown up by the "Next" button, and the pleasing (to me at least) blue glow of the vacuum tube display across the darkened lounge in the wee small hours. But the simple truth is that the JB7 just doesn't fit with the way that me and my family listen to music. Most of what we listen to is streamed from Spotify - other streaming services are available :0) - or from the CDs previously ripped (and to be honest more accurately catalogued and tagged) by my PC and stored on my NAS box, and streamed to various speakers via Bluetooth or wifi from tablet or smartphone.

My main argument in favour of the JB7 before I bought is was that I didn't want to leave my PC on all the time just to access my music collection, but having installed the separate NAS box a year ago that Rubicon has been crossed - my home is pretty much fully networked, 24/7.

So I have regretfully concluded that JB7 is really for an older and (far) less tech savvy market than me. I really like the look of it, the sound, the feel even - I just don't need it. It's kind of the same conclusion I eventually reached regarding minidisc. Aah, minidisc, how I miss thee, but you were just one more dead-end branch on the evolutionary tree, along with Betamax, Laserdisc. And eventually, I suspect, Brennan.

Posted on 19 Dec 2013 12:05:10 GMT
User201202 says:
J. Marden, good post - would be interested to know what NAS you chose.

Brennan should perhaps shift focus away from ripping and storing CDs, and concentrate on producing small amps for use with today's tinny-sounding HD TVs. The sound is great, as nearly every poster mentions, and the small size is also a bonus. Without all the CD-ripping functions, the price could be brought down and the little amp would fill a real gap in the market. That might save the JB7 from extinction.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2013 14:36:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Dec 2013 14:41:58 GMT
User201202, cheers - it was a cathartic post, psyched me up to finally sell the white elephant :0)

Re the NAS, I chose a Synology DiskStation DS212j, seemed to be the best cost/benefit point for me. Having installed a couple of enterprise grade hard drives the box then sat in a cupboard for months whilst I gathered the mental strength to deal with Synology's extensive and somewhat densely written instructions on how to get it best set up and running. Finally got it all sorted to my satisfaction. I've never been able to crack the print server functionality, it struggles with Windows 8 (then again, so do I - but that's another post for another day), but the NAS has been able to hold together my domestic network of Windows, Linux and Android devices reasonably well. Apparently the photo server app takes a geological span of time to produce thumbnails, but I've not used it yet, so can't comment. My one regret is that I didn't spend a bit more to get something with more RAM - 512kb gets maxxed out pretty quickly - but other than that, so far I'm happy.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2013 15:43:45 GMT
User201202 says:
Thanks. I guess I'll keep waiting for something more suited to my limited tech skills! NAS does seem the way to go, to avoid having to run a PC/laptop 24/7. Someday I'll take the plunge.

Cheers!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2013 11:00:56 GMT
As Billy Preston sang "will it go round in circles?" I'm of the opinion that if it doesn't, I don't wanna know!!!! I need to SEE something happening, otherwise I'm mistrustful!
Yours hanging on to the old ways,

Clive

Posted on 2 Jan 2014 18:11:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jan 2014 18:37:00 GMT
S. Ditta says:
We'll I nearly took the plunge today into buying the brennan I read my horoscope and it said to keep away from electrical goods etc on my way to the bank to cash out 570quid my building society told me I couldn't cash out more than 500 pounds unless I had I.d?peed off I came home instead maybe it was a good thing I didn't go to richer sounds to buy (brennan jb7)I did ring them direct and spoke to some women reg the issues on brennan but she assured me all electric goodies have problems and that there was also a return policy too?a 1year guarantee any problems to ring them direct and she hoped I would buy 1?so I'm still aching reg the brennan,also I'm told they'll no longer make the 160/360gb models anymore only the 500 gob what's all that about?i don't get on ebay there selling like cookies like there brand new so what's going on?should I buy 1? Direct from brennan there's nothing else out there is there plus there all ugly.are they realy that faulty that bad loading up cds? And listening to you're own music collection?

Posted on 2 Jan 2014 18:38:50 GMT
S. Ditta says:
The women I spoke too was from brennan not richer sounds)I rang them direct reg the faults issues if I was to part with my £550?

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2014 22:16:47 GMT
A. Clews says:
I have a JB7 but in hindsight - and despite what I may have said in earlier posts to this forum - I really don't think they're worth the money, especially if they don't make the lower capacity models anymore (yes, I bought the cheapest one 'cos I didn't need the extra capacity). They sound just fine but the interface is just too clunky, and backing up is a total joke. Ditta, if I were you I'd save my £550. It's far too much for what you get.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2014 22:43:13 GMT
Well worth the price

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2014 00:21:58 GMT
User201202 says:
Agreed there's no satisfactory alternative, but the Brennan's not satisfactory either - not in my book.

It seems that the dream device many of us would like, just doesn't exist. :-(

If you decide to go ahead, you could always order it direct from Brennan, paying if possible with a credit card. Load a few CDs and try out all the options, see the problems for yourself. If you have to return it, all you stand to lose is the return carriage.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2014 00:25:54 GMT
Aaa-Alex says:
S. Ditta, the customer service people at Brennan are good at customer service, but their product doesn't measure up. The sound is good but it's just not user-friendly. I bought mine in Oct 2012 and 3 times have returned it for repair/replacement. Each time it came back I had to reload all my music, which is a pain, and it still doesn't work properly. When I look at my albums on itunes I can see all the album covers and choose what I want to hear, but you haven't got that visual memory-jogger with Brennan. And there are lots of other non-user-friendly things about storing and playing back music. I wanted to like it but sadly I find it irritating and disappointing. I would recommend anyone to keep looking for a better solution, even if they have £500 to spare.

Posted on 3 Jan 2014 09:26:39 GMT
S. Ditta says:
Thanks to all who replied,I won't buy a brand new one il prob bid for one on ebay and see if I can get a cheap one if I'm lucky?theres also a (gramophone) website were (brennan) is also is getting a beating I just can't believe it? But then why are there so many pro outfits aka magazines like(which) music shops (rich sounds) who sell and pump his product to the masses saying its superb? I have never been so confused ever reg a music system just to play upload a simple(cd) I could of never of imagined.

Posted on 3 Jan 2014 10:42:12 GMT
A. Clews says:
I recently picked up a copy of "What Hi-Fi" magazine, which is a generally respected publication, and it's interesting that there seems to be no mention of the JB7 anywhere in the listings pages summarising current products (please correct me if I'm wrong). I wonder why...

Posted on 3 Jan 2014 11:02:38 GMT
User201202 says:
Buying one "cheap" on ebay would be very unwise, given all the warnings about this product. The smart thing to do is buy it full price either direct from Brennan or from a reputable retailer. That way, when you realize the problems, you're fully protected under the Sale of Goods Act. Buying such a problematic item on ebay from a private seller is just frankly foolish.

Your money, though. Your choice.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2014 11:33:57 GMT
S. Ditta says:
There's one on ebay uk for £300 500gb supposed to be brand new the guy has given a 14 day return not very long though I know but foolish of me if I bid? Check it out.theres also some comments reg (positive) that folks don't know what there on about they screw about with it eg connect up with amps etc blow it up then complain its crap? But if it's used properly one won't have any problems. Also if one was bought ebay etc can one insure from direct (brennan?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2014 11:43:17 GMT
Grumpy says:
I have much the same comments as you. I have had mine for 13 months now and it has been back to supplier but unable to help. I only have a 450 cd collection but the JB7 refused to load at least 10%, most of which were popular well known artists. Evidently if more than one Company are involved in producing the discs, the recording times may vary and are therefore not recognised. They do not tell you that or any other downsides to this piece of kit. I find the JB7 seriously lacking in its capabilities almost to the point of sale of goods act. Be honest Brennan and tell us what it cannot do.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2014 11:43:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jan 2014 12:08:38 GMT
User201202 says:
Why would you need insurance? If you buy from Brennan, the manufacturer, or from a reputable retailer, you have 7-day right of return under Distance Selling Regulations, you have the Brennan guarantee, and you're protected by SOGA. If you buy with a credit card (not through PayPal), you have further protection.

If you'd rather risk your dosh on ebay, that's up to you.

Edit. Realized I misunderstood your question. If you're wondering about buying it from ebay but insuring it, I don't know. You'd need to get quotes from insurers. I can't see why you'd want to do this.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2014 12:59:00 GMT
S. Ditta says:
Yes you got it I jus going to reply, I did ring rich sounds the guy wasn't very helpfull he just goes we have sold many and we have none bdack he didn't seem that bothered how pro of him.

Posted on 15 Jan 2014 18:20:51 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jan 2014 19:17:57 GMT
S. Ditta says:
I've ordered a brennan in the 8th jan 2014 I rang in payeed via the phone etc and still waiting for the damn thing, I've rang brennan several times they first promised me they'll ship out ASAP then I rang again the exuse was it's still in the warehouse and they'll post ASAP I've still ain't got it rang again(computers are down bt are in should be fixed today fingers x they say? I've given them till next Wednesday or il cancel my order I can't believe what's going on? The thing is I rang brennan also emailed brennan years back reg jb7 that it wasn't all that also that there were many complaints etc on many forums, mr brennan emailed personally asking wich forums they were and he and his team would look into them? So I good faith gave them to wich there are loads I told him via email just google also to have some honour and come foreword and give a new interview to the complaints by the buyers he didn't reply to that, I wonder if that's why they haven't sent me a jb7? I can't believe it for the first time in my life after so many negative reviews I went ahead with the order it was better than buying on ebay at least I get my money bdack.has anyone had similar experience with the jb7 recently?are the computers really down at brennan? Why are they not sending me my (brennan?)also on my brennan account were you send emails etc I sent many emails reg my jb they didn't reply also no tracing number, I found my old emails sent to brennan reg the complaints and if I should buy it etc they keep it all)my point is overall there not sending my jb are they out if stock-are the computers down or is it something I've done? Ps I rang another technical team and there computers were fine what's going on anyone please?

Posted on 15 Jan 2014 19:05:14 GMT
S. Ditta says:
Mr brennan sent me a email last week asking wich forums complaints were on,I did give him in good him he only said thanks by email but no reply to other complaints new interview etc.also I rang the customer order line a week before and spoke the woman reg complaints etc and she said this was normal with all products and told me that my jb7 would be with me in 2days-I than rang in and spoke to another guy who sounded like brennan who said sorry it's still in the warehouse and will send out ASAP and would get a day or 2,I then rang back then I was told the computers were down and have been like that for several days even now the woman also told me there was no guarantee that by next Wednesday they'll be fixed what do you think is going on my friends I'm lost?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2014 02:40:11 GMT
Grumpy says:
I think you should ask for a total refund. No company should treat a customer like this and does it not show what it would be like in the future if you have problems ? And I am sure you will have problems. You have been more than patient, more than I would have been.
Good luck !
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  50
Total posts:  205
Initial post:  15 Feb 2011
Latest post:  21 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
See This Through & Leave
See This Through & Leave by Cooper Temple Clause (Audio CD - 2006)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (36)