Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 190 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 9 Mar 2013 11:29:18 GMT
Many thanks for your helpful email. I have sussed out, that as you state, the Seagate is NTFS and as I do not fancy corrupting my PC I have returned the Seagate.
Now looking at the Freecom XXS as recommended by Brennan. Reviews for Freecom are not good and I am flummoxed as to the best way to backup! Can you advise on yours.
Best wishes, Brian

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Mar 2013 14:14:16 GMT
Hi, Milton. I have bought the JB7 from Riches Sounds and I am very pleased with the sound using my own Tannoy speakers. Even better with the Seinheisser headphones. The Brennan speakers that I listed to in the Riches store do not do justice whatsover. Backup is my problem as I am hoping to find a USB drive that will work out of the box - just as Brennan state. The Freecom `costapacket` from Brennan, and yet is half the price from Amazon! - but the headache in choosing is from reading such poor reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Mar 2013 14:17:18 GMT
download software to transfer your vinyl to cd for excellent results - and then Brennan will transfer your cd bearing in mind though that you will have to tap in the IDs

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2013 08:02:26 GMT
A. Clews says:
Actually Brian it would have been a pretty trivial matter to have reformatted your Seagate to FAT32 (as I did with my USB stick) but as you have now returned it, the point is now rendered academic. There would have been no danger to your PC provided that you chose the correct drive to format :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2013 11:05:23 GMT
User201202 says:
Rather than putting your music collection on to an awkward one-drive device, and then trying to get a back-up copy of the music, coping with all the ridiculous slowness and inflexibility of the JB7, it's a lot easier to rip the CDs or LPs into MP3 format on a PC or laptop. Then you can make as many copies of your music collection as you like, on whatever drive your PC/laptop can handle, and it won't take you a fraction of the time needed to cope with the JB7. On top of that, your collection will be much more accurately tagged. You can then play it on any number of different devices, including the JB7 if that's what you want -- just copy the collection onto a FAT32-formatted USB drive and plug it into the JB7's USB port.

As you add music to your collection, update the copy on the USB drive. That way, you always have your backup, and when the JB7 fails, as inevitably it will, there's no danger of losing all that music.

Posted on 26 Mar 2013 16:53:48 GMT
My Brennan has developed a series of faults since it was bought for me as achristmas present. Firstly the optical drive broke down which required me to return it for repair, it has since then had disk problems which I have mapped twice, it also loads some CDs incomplete. For a simply produced system it does have reliability issues.The customer service team are extremely helpful and unfortunately are let down by the product reliability.
I really wanted to like this product but have returned it for a full refund

Posted on 9 Aug 2013 10:57:17 BDT
Can I download music from my Mac onto my Brennan JB7 via a USB lead between the two?

Posted on 22 Nov 2013 07:42:57 GMT
I love the idea of the brennan and have had one for over two years now with 18,000 songs on it, it refuses to load cds new and old ..after a month out of warrenty. so I just use it for random playing now, its stressful believe it or not. cumbersome to use, but fantastic idea
....disappointed

Posted on 1 Dec 2013 02:41:15 GMT
S. Ditta says:
Can you add a (PC external hard drive) as a back up on a brennon jb7?also my other concern is I'm thinking of buying one either(ebay)but after hearing folks having so much problems I just don't know.i only want a simple sounding good reliable small upto date system were I can upload cds too.and finally after uploading cds can one rip cds also?can anyone tell me what I should do reg the (brennan jb7)please and thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2013 08:32:16 GMT
A. Clews says:
You can't use the JB7 to rip CDs; it only reads them. I've had my JB7 for two years now and although it sounds good and I have a convenient portable store for all my 600+ CDs, it is cumbersome to use (and backing-up is a joke). It's not as good as I had hoped. In hindsight I would not have bought one - far too expensive for what you get.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2013 08:53:37 GMT
S. Ditta says:
Thanks a,clews for replying I'm still in a dilemma reg the brennan?but what's the alternative(sony gigajuke?) does similar thing doesn't it?i don't want to fork out a fortune this time and age.one would expect brennan would least get it rite for 500 reg up to date database etc decent speakers what's up with these guys?just like(bose)so expensive but the product doesn't have all that(kick)they go on about.what do I get for reasonable uploading cd budget with a decent (soft bass)etc anyone?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2013 11:47:52 GMT
User201202 says:
Ditta - the Brennan rips CDs into MP3 files and stores the files on its hard disc drive. You can connect an external USB drive and you can "archive" the MP3 files to the external USB drive and from there to your PC.

The trouble is, the Brennan doesn't tag the files correctly in many cases, which means you have to go through laboriously and check the files and organize them so that you can find what you want. It's much easier (in my experience) to rip the CDs on a PC, using software which does a better tagging job, and then transfer them to the Brennan.

I would not advise anyone to buy the Brennan. I agree it sounds good, but it just has too many disadvantages which the company shows no sign of wanting to address.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2013 12:36:07 GMT
Maria Walker says:
Thank you 201202

You have helped to make up my mind - not to buy a Brennan.
I've been reading reviews for over a year and yours gives the 'good and the bad' in a nutshell.
My question is - What is out there that compiles CD (many) in a fairly easy/fairly efficient way?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2013 14:53:07 GMT
Grumpy says:
I have had one for a year now and all the 500 outlay gives you is some shelf space available after laboriously uploading your CDs. I was able to locate tracks from my CDs far more quickly than I now can from the Brennan. Overpriced and over-rated. Think carefully before investing in one
Sailstav

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2013 15:00:49 GMT
Go for the Brennan. It does all you ask it to do but it can only reproduce the original sound. To prove my point grab hold of Sir Colin Davis conducting in St. Pauls Cathedral Berlioz Mass and transfer to the Brennan. It will blow your mind into oblivion whether you like classical or not!

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2013 15:21:56 GMT
Grumpy says:
Is your suggestion subject to the quality of the speakers that you hook up to which are not supplied ?
Sailstav

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2013 16:10:00 GMT
No doubt about it. I have a pair of top quality hphones and I couldn't askfor more

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2013 16:42:09 GMT
User201202 says:
If there's one that ticks all the boxes, I haven't found it. The Cocktail X10 isn't highly rated for sound quality. There's a CD-ripping NAS system (Ripcaster) but to me it seems daunting. I've settled for ripping the CDs on PC and streaming the music to various DLNA-enabled equipment. Not a very satisfactory solution, and when a reliable, connected, good quality CD-ripper/player finally appears on the scene, I'll be looking to buy.

Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2013 17:11:49 GMT
I too, have been checking out all the updates on this thread for almost two years! Still haven't bought one and don't think I ever shall. Most of the posts reveal a none-too-brilliant product, with lots of setbacks, hassles, stress. lack of Customer Care and waste of valuable dosh. I think I'll get the loft converted and store all my many CDs up there, as it was mainly a space-saving facility which attracted me to the Brennan!!!!

Posted on 1 Dec 2013 20:28:31 GMT
S. Ditta says:
Thanks to all replying to my q,s reg(brennan)maybe il put the money towards a loft conversion.i hope mr brennan is reading our comments on this/other forums?one other thing on the brennan website mr brennan doesn't look/sound to convincing does he I wonder if he took his jb7 to the d/den what would they think of it?he just didn't (to me)sound that promising or is just me?

Posted on 1 Dec 2013 21:05:04 GMT
User201202 says:
Have a look at Brennan's Wikipedia page. He has a somewhat chequered past, including helping to develop the Atari Jaguar, a failed games console. Cnet chose it as one of the top ten terrible tech projects of 2007.

The JB7 must have made a lot of money for him by now, though, in view of the high price.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2013 03:27:49 GMT
S. Ditta says:
Thanks so much I will do ASAP I had no idea he got upto so much?thanks again.

Posted on 2 Dec 2013 09:37:37 GMT
A. Clews says:
BTW I miswrote my earlier reply when I said that the JB7 "doesn't rip CDs". Of course it "rips" CDs in that it reads them and stores the contents as MP3s - though you can choose for them not to be MP3'd - on its hard disk, but AFAIK it can't write CDs, which is what I thought the questioner was getting at. Apologies for my misleading reply :-)
The thing I like most of the JB7 is that you can just start it playing tracks from the entire collection at random for as long as you want, often resulting in long-forgotten tracks being rediscovered. The only downside with that function is that tracks which merge into each other get chopped off rather unceremoniously.

Posted on 5 Dec 2013 18:28:12 GMT
Aaa-Alex says:
Hi, have owned a JB7 for 13 months. The sound is good and it has some real advantages. But I wouldn't buy one knowing what I now know, nor recommend it. I'm on my 4th, having returned the first three under warranty for the same problem, which the 4th one shares - but I'm fed up with reloading all my music yet again, which takes ages, so I now put up with it. These are the problems I have had: 1. some CDs when compressed play back with distorted sound. 2. Some CDs when compressed are reduced to a loud painful electronic buzz. 3.One workaround is to not compress CDs, which means hard drive space runs out. 4. An alternate workaround is to load the CDs to iplayer, transfer the music files to a flash drive, and load them via the USB. This creates another problem: the tracks are then loaded in a jumbled-up order, not the order in which they were recorded. I haven't found a way to stop this happening. 5. When using the playlist feature, often only one or two or a few tracks will play, then it stops, which is irritating.

There are several other little irritations too, but those are my major beefs. If this duplicates what others have said earlier in the discussion, apologies - I've only read the last two months' posts.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2013 21:11:43 GMT
A. Clews says:
With regard to the "jumbling up" of tracks when loaded to an external device, in my experience this is due to the track files being sorted into alphabetical order. I worked around this by writing a program that prefixed every track in the JB7's catalogue with a sequence number, which meant that after making a backup, the tracks in each album retained their original order.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  47
Total posts:  190
Initial post:  15 Feb 2011
Latest post:  23 May 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
See This Through & Leave
See This Through & Leave by Cooper Temple Clause (Audio CD - 2006)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (36)