on 16 November 2014
INITIAL THOUGHTS
To be totally truthful I have two books with similar titles and ended up reading this one first by mistake, but it turned out to be a great mistake . .
I was looking forward to learning more about what sounded a complex yet highly interesting dystopic society.

INITIAL REACTION UPON FINISHING THE BOOK
Absolutely loved it! When can I have more please?

MY THOUGHTS
The cover of this book features the main female character of Ariet, and also a genetic marker too, which is a very brief gist of what the book is about. Ariet lives in Quadrant 4, one of the smaller yet still prosperous areas to live in. Ariet's life consist of daily medical tests taken via urine and blood samples. Every Monday the residents of Quadrant 4 have to attend a medical examination, where your breeding potential is checked. Dependant on your health and these tests and their results you are allocated points. Points are used for toiletries and food. Every Monday morning Ariet and her mother prepare a special breakfast which uses up the last of that weeks food supplies. Once the breakfast is ready, the men, Ariet's twin brother, Alec and their father rise from their lie in and they all eat the breakfast as a family. They then go off to the medical test centre, where the males and females are filtered into different lines and then the younger woman are split from the older women. Ariet and Alec Langley are very near the age where society expects them to find mates. If you do not choose a mate yourself then the Creators arranged a pairing for you. Then you are referred to as "Selecteds". There are restrictions on whom you may "pair with". "superiors" such as Ariet and Alec are told to look in other quadrants rather than their own. this is to prevent bloodlines from becoming crossed. The rules A superior cannot for example pair with a creator (considered a higher member of the society). One a couple is paired they are expected to produce two children within the first few years of their marriage. Ariet goes through all the routine tests as she does every week and then she is told she has another test due to her age, and the fact she will soon be pairing. That's about all Ariet remembers then everything goes dark. When Ariet awakens she discovers she has been taken away from her family and everyone she knows and loves to be paired to a male she doesn't know as part of a special Breeder program. Ariet has been specifically chosen for a highly secret genetic breeding project. Ariet has been paired with a young man named Mason Black, it is he that has been left to explain everything to her. Naturally Ariet finds it extremely hard to accept that she can never see her family again. Ariet tries to argue the point that she has not been given chance at "natural pairing" and that by giving her a "selected" pairing the government has broken its own laws. is supposed to she later finds out is the grandson of the "Mother". The "mother" who we find out is 100% behind the regime and will stop at nothing, even killing her own child to keep to the Breeding Programme. The "Mother" does break the normal chain of events by asking for a meeting with Mason and Ariet, where it is made crystal clear that Ariet has no choice but to accept her fate. To oppose the "Mother" would put her and Mason in danger not to mention the consequences of any rebellious acts by the pair would have on Ariet's family. The "mother" is not adverse to threats and blackmail to make everyone around her do as she dictates. Mason explains that though he is a blood relative of "the mother" he has had no more choice in the matter than Ariet has. In fact Mason turns out to be as opposed to the system as Ariet is. They will both need to learn to develop an understanding if they are to survive. They will have appear to become closer and to build up a increasingly intimate relationship if they are to be kept alive within the breeding project. If they cannot do this well enough Ariet will be locked away in a tower and impregnated and drugged to keep her compliant. It is extremely dangerous voice any pessimism against the establishment or indeed any of the rules within the breeding project. It becomes clearer as time goes on that Mason will succeed the "Mother" as the head of the whole regime when she chooses to stand down. That is when Mason plans to change the way society lives and works, but until that day he has to toe the line and be seen to behave and agree with "the mother" in all things.
I really enjoyed how the relationship[ between Ariet and Mason changed and grew closer as they faced uncertainty and a harsh ruled regime together. I also became fond of the brotherly relationship of Mason and Thor. In fact Thor goes on to help Ariet despite their negative feelings towards each other shows how deep his friendship is with Mason. In fact Mason and Thor are the nearest thing to a family that Mason has.
I want to go on and on about the characters in this book, as well as the plot but there's so much to discover, and I don't want to give out too many spoilers. The whole dystopic society within this book is intriguing and really pulls you in.
So did I enjoy the book? I was totally pulled in, and immersed in the dystopic society. Consequently I found the book a highly pleasurable read.
Would I recommend the book? Yes, I'd put it in my dystopian must reads!
Would I want to read another book in this series? Oh yes please. I want . . . no need to know what happens next to Alec, Ariet and Thor! as well as how things may change for the dystopic society too.
Would I read other books by this author? I would be really interested in anything written by this author.
on 21 May 2014
First of all, the bad.

'Breeders: Trilogy' is written in the first person. I don't warm to first person narrative generally. I found the first chapter, covering Areit's life in quadrant four rather flat somehow and uninteresting.

However, I fought through the first person narrative and when she gets whisked away to join the 'Breeders Program' the pace and the intrigue really picked up! It quickly became fast-paced, exciting and thoroughly readable. I found the overall theme fascinating and frighteningly realistic. It reads as a sci-fi mystery almost. By the end of the book I didn't really feel like I understood anything about 'The Old World' and little about 'The New World'. Where Quigley excels is in her portrayal of Ariet's emotions and thoughts at being swiped from her life and thrown into the position of being essentially a lab-rat, to be experimented on and coldly, callously terminated at the experimenter's will. I thought how Ariet reacted and felt during her induction was realistic and well-written. Mason was more enigmatic, but realistic I think. Ariet is really the heart of the story and by leaps and bounds the most readable character - especially once she's been inducted into the Breeders Program.

This book is a horror story, a science fiction story and dark, thought experiment into the extreme application of genetic selection. It raises interesting ethical questions and poses the question - how far would we go? If human society was genuinely at risk, how cruel and heartless would our conscience allow us to be, in order to preserve humanity? If you thought the only means of preserving humanity was to capture, imprison and breed humans against their will - would you sanction it?

The details about 'The Old World' are sketchy at best and I didn't feel the explanation for how the world ended up in this bizarre two state system was satisfactory. I hope and expect these issues will be addressed in later books. It's also short - I read it in one sitting.

All that said, this is a very, VERY enjoyable read. Great for anyone with an interest in science fiction, science, medicine or ethics.

Martyn Stanley

Author of:-
The Last Dragon Slayer (Deathsworn Arc Book 1) (Free to download)
The Verkreath Horror (Deathsworn Arc Book 2)
The Blood Queen (Deathsworn Arc Book 3)
Rise of the Archmage (Deathsworn Arc Book 4) (Due late 2015)

The Lambton Worm (The Lambton Worm Re-telling Book 1) (Short story. A modern re-telling of old english folklore)
on 21 May 2015
I really enjoyed this book.

It is well written and gives a very real sense of Ariet's world and how she struggles to fit within it and cope with various controlling things that happen to her. Some of Ariet's reactions and actions seem quite immature and I would have liked her to be a bit stronger at times, but she is only human and fairly young. There is only so much that she can do, and I guess I felt some of her frustrations too.

The book has a good pace. My only criticism is that it is too short.
on 19 August 2014
looking forward to reading series
on 11 November 2014