Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 14 January 2011
Heartbreaking and uplifting. I cried so many times througout this book. No child should ever have to experience this poverty aand deprivation. Thank goodness the schools now exist to enable these children to fulfill themselves finally. Thank you Liz for educating us to the horrors of poverty and the possible ways to climb out of it.
on 14 December 2010
Book was an inspiration and makes one appreciate that the grumbles of our day to day life
are absolutely nothing compared with the lives of others. Author lifted herself up by the
bootstraps and not much else and her reward is to live well and help others. It is extremely
well written if the picture of her life sometimes is even too graphic and upsetting to read.
But setting that against her actually living through it all, we, in our armchairs can give thanks!
Very well worth reading and I would give it to every stroppy protesting teenager you know.
on 6 January 2011
I will never be able to look at New York City the same way again after reading this story. Liz Murray is such a brave young woman for being able to share the horrific experiences of growing up with drug addicted parents in the Bronx. I cried a lot through this book and often felt physically sick, but now I feel I understand so much more about poverty and our society. Please read this book.
on 21 February 2011
Be prepared, Breaking Night is one of those books you cannot put down. It is fascinating to read a young woman's story from such an early age. Your heart breaks when you read about role reversal for children who live in such dreadful situations where drugs take over. You learn how much a child loves a parent who is so needy. As you read you become more and more desperate for things to turn out in the best way for the child. You wonder what could possibly transpire to ever get a good outcome. The book leaves me feeling much more understanding of the illness that befalls so many families the whole world over. A book to be shared!
on 20 May 2011
I heard Liz inerviewed on local radio and decided to buy this book. I enjoyed it but not as much as I hoped I would.
Without doubt Liz is an astonishing woman. To have survived the childhood and teenage years that she endured is testament to the sort of person she is. Her enduring love throughout for her parents is inspiring. I found it very interesting how often later in her book she referred to the "Serenity Prayer".
Where the book disappointed me was in the proportion of it which was spent on her life up to "Prep". I think that too much of the book was dedicated to this. Obviously the book is a tale of triumph out of adversity and needs to be set in context but I for one would have been happier with a lot more of what happened after Liz left "Prep".
The cynic in me says that Liz probably could have told her story as effectively in less detail(wouldn't be surprised to hear that she agrees with that)but that the publishers see a second book based on post Harvard.
So, certainly an amazing and inspirational story but not, in my view, complete. Nevertheless, you should probably read it!
on 12 March 2011
I ordered this book after hearing Liz Murray interviewed on BBC Radio 4. I was impressed and moved in hearing that, although severily neglected by her parents, she did not cultivate victimhood, but concentrated on her love for then and her faith in their love for her. The book confirmed this first impression and added layers of experience and angles of perspective. All in all an inspiring read, to which I award one star less than the max. only because I believe that there is a second part to this story, which I expect to see in print in the near future.
on 1 December 2011
Totally gripping story. So good I bought another as a gift
A real lesson for whingers and moaners to motivate themselves.
on 21 February 2011
After seeing an interview with the author on television I bought the book.Such an amazing story of how a young person pulled herself out of poverty and turned her life around.Such a good read ,even more so when you know it is a true story.
on 6 March 2015
I first got to know Liz Murray from the film 'Homeless to Harvard', and this film inspires me a lot, so I decided to buy her book. I am pleased that the book doesn't disappoint me either, for Liz experiences and her philosophical views towards her traumas inspire and encourage me a lot. Determination is what I learnt from her, as well as faith. When you have these two in your hand nothing stops you from getting what you want. Her love to her mom also reminds me there's nothing that you can take for granted. Even though her mom was a drug addict, Liz was still grateful that she had this mom because she knows her mom does love her.

If you think your life sucks get the book and put yourself in Liz and experience what she had gone through.
on 31 March 2014
Read the reviews for this book (in a women's magazine) and was pleasantly surprised once I read it as, it isn't the type of book I usually go for.

It's content is a cautionary tale of how drugs can destroy a family and how, despite suffering the worst childhood, success can be achieved. This remarkable teenager is proof that the apple doesn't necessarily have to fall close to the tree, it can make up its own mind and have a more rewarding and morally sound life.

To the author, I thank you for sharing your story with us.

I wish her and her sister all the best in their endeavours. I have given a copy to the younger generation of my family so that they can read it and learn.