Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 June 2012
I bought these notes because I was teaching an A-level student who does not live in the UK. She needed help understanding the cultural references in Brave New World. This book made it easy for us to work together because she could read her copy along with me while we were having an online lesson, and also review it afterwards by herself.

The book is well laid out, easy to use, and contains links to helpful websites.
on 4 January 2012
I am truly aghast at the sheer stupidity of the reviews on this page. York Notes is renown for producing Study 'Notes' - clue in the title, see? York Notes has never published full books before, and so it would be ludicrous for them to make a right turn and "you know what, let's confuse our customer base by publishing an entire novel instead of what we've been doing for the last fifty study books." My jaw literally hung open in disbelief as I read through some of the garbage on this page.

The poor reviews are products of customers diving in without researching their purchase, not - as the intention of Amazon reviews - the quality of the study notes. It's the equivalent of buying a caravan trailer and complaining that it didn't come with the caravan. This study book, much like a caravan trailer, is to SUPPLEMENT the original product.

I am an English Literature student; I've bought York Notes for every piece of Literature I've had to dissect, and without exception I've benefited from each one greatly. York Notes is truly fantastic, so much so that many of my classmates have gone out and bought York Notes as a result of sharing mine. This book is no exception. If you're studying Brave New World as a Dystopian theme in your Literature course, this is for you.

Cliffs:
* Customers do not read 'Product Description'.
* Customers buy anyway.
* Customers inevitably disappointed with 'wrong' product.
* Customer feels s/he has been wronged. It must be Amazon's fault.
* One star reviews ensue.
We are treated to a glimpse of a possible future world where friendship can still exist. This is a story of a hand full of individuals in a world that emphasizes "Community, Identity, Stability" that find each other and discus subjects that most of the people of that time cold not understand. However we do. Naturally the author Aldous Huxley builds his own scenarios and draws his own conclusions through the characters speeches and description of experimental history.

Bernard Marx who is about to lose his job because he is different (very different) form those around him, decides to take a vacation to visit the Zuni's. There he meets a misplaced person named John. Together with the help of Bernard's friend Henry they intend to change the world. So they find out the world is incapable of changing.

We get an Ayn Rand type speech from Mustapha Mond one of the world controllers' that helps you realize that in this brave new world the three friends are the anomaly. How can this enigma be solved?

Do not forget to watch the 1998 movie version with Leonard Nimoy as Mustapha Mond.
on 7 March 2016
It was informative and interesting.
on 20 May 2012
It is a so interesting book not only because of its main topic but also for others that were touched in a subtle way. Really fruitful
on 27 January 2016
Good for learning
on 14 October 2015
All good
on 12 June 2000
I accidently bought this version without realising that it is in fact a simplified version of the original version. Be careful ;-)
on 3 June 2000
This is a truly magnificent piece of literature; it describes our world to a tee. A world with Happy drugs (soma) and the 3D cinema (the good old 'feelies'). It makes you stop for a second just to think...
on 16 January 2008
I too thought I was buying the book, expecting margin notes or something similar. This is a guide to Brave New World, for those who do not wish to read for pleasure. IT IS NOT THE ALDOUS HUXLEY SCIENCE FICTION BOOK.
I rated it one star, but to be fair, if you know what you are buying it may well rate five.