Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 20 November 2005
Lots of people know Roald Dahl by his fantastic books of Charlie and the chocolate factory or James and the giant peach. If wanted to find information about his early life, this book would be the place to look.
The Boy is sort of an early childhood autobiography. He says this isn’t a biography but really it is. The story is told in time order. For example a story about Roald’s Dad is told before Roald Dahl being born. If you enjoy short true stories then this is the book to read.
The piece of text is in sections Starting Point, Llandaff Cathedral School, St Peter’s and Repton and Shell. The sections are then put into stories. For example The Great Mouse Plot or the First Day. It also tells us the years it happened like St Peter’s; 1925-1929 (age 9-13). There are a lot of real life photos of Roald Dahl and his family. There are also he own drawing in there. For example there is some of Mrs Prachett. The stories in the book might be real or might be fictionalised. I just don’t know because this book wasn’t written at the time it was happening it was written about memories and these memories might be wrong. This book can tell you what schools were like at the 20s and 30s.
This piece of text has lots of stories so you don’t need to have a lot of time to read a whole story. You also need to be able to read different kinds of stories with cruelty in. You can read these stories to people because they are very entertaining. I don’t think you could make a play out of it like Peter Pan.
I read the text by myself. I told one story to my brothers and they really enjoyed it. I suppose you can only read this book if you know who Roald Dahl is. You don’t have to have read any of his books because it’s only about his childhood and not his career.
This book is really enjoyable and the stories he wrote in this book are brilliant. You find out memories of Roald’s childhood. If I had to write out a book about my childhood, it would never be as good as this book. Firstly because I haven’t even finished my childhood and secondly I haven’t had that many adventures.
The reason this book has been published is…………
1. Roald Dahl is a fabulous author and people will want to know about his childhood.
2. It has great Graphology
3. The audience can actually imagine what Roald Dahl looked like.
4. It has great stories which make you glue to the book.
5. It tells you about his family and friends.
Thanks for reading my first review. I hope I’ve encouraged you to read The Boy. Trust me if you don’t read this book you will miss out. Also if you’ve got a project about Roald Dahl this is the place to look.
on 19 February 2009
Mr Dahl gives pleasure whatever he writes. "Boy" however , is a marvellous evocation of an age which, frankly, you need be over 50 and British to recognise from first hand experience. He really captures time and place and the quirky way in which youngsters then viewed the world - whether funny or angst ridden. Others have commented on the detail but I'll add that one cameo he puts in about Dr Fisher (Head of Repton and subsequently Archbishop of Canterbury) as a sadistic flogger of boys is certainly true. I met the dreadful man as a schoolboy of about 15 when he visited my quite distinguished public school to give a speech or somesuch and his gaze seem drawn to the tightly-trousered backsides of the boys in CCF uniform parading as a guard of honour and then at the tennis squad doing their best in an exhibition match again in hip-hugging white shorts - you could feel that he was 'taking aim' and relishing the thought. Ugh, what a monster. Anyway, Dahl gets this and everything else so right that no-one should miss this quintessential portrait of England 50 years ago - quite extraordinary.
on 24 November 2005
"boy" by roald dahl is a truely wonderfully written book. the book reads more like a story than a biography but it still gives you an insight into the amazing imagination of roald dahl.i have been a fan of roald dahl since my childhood but this book and its companion biography "going solo" are my two favorite books by this magnificent author. i would highly recommend this book
on 3 May 2014
I loved this brilliant book but I can't help feeling the end went down hill.Everything was good and I was enjoying the book and then all of a sudden it is over.I will be buying going solo they sequel.I know that there is a sequel and stuff but it should have had a better finish.
Other than that It is a thrilling tale I enjoyed
on 13 April 2013
This book has been a very exciting and interesting book. It is 1 of my favourite books. Roald Dahl seems to have been quite a naughty and clever boy. It was very sad at the beginning when is father and sister died, but apart from that it is been a fascinating and enjoyable book to read. I would defiantly recommend this book to anyone over the age of 8.
VINE VOICEon 10 May 2004
It’s an accepted fact that most young readers prefer fantasy to biography. If given the choice between the ‘Diary of Anne Frank’ or the latest J K Rowling or Jacqueline Wilson, few children would choose the biography, despite it being an essential addition to their library. However, Roald Dahl’s true-life stories of his childhood are the ideal cross-over, helping the young reader discover that truth can be as fascinating as fiction.
As always, Roald Dahl’s style of writing is highly accessible and great fun to read. Millions of children are familiar with his hilarious fantasy stories (Matilda, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, The Witches), so are more likely to read this slightly more serious book than they would other biographical material.
‘Going Solo’, Dahl’s sequel to ‘Boy’ is one of the most gripping little books I have ever read. I strongly recommend both books to children of all ages … adults too.
on 7 November 2013
I'm not a big fan of memoirs, but this is about as good as they get - I mean, who doesn't want to read about Roald Dahl's fascinating childhood? If anything, I enjoyed this more than his children's books - perhaps that's the writer in me. Most people's memoirs are stale and boring, but this is a book with crossover appeal, and it's easily enjoyable for both kids and adults.

As Dahl himself points out, "An autobiography is a book a person writes about his own life and it is usually full of all sorts of boring details. This is not an autobiography. I would never write a history of myself. On the other hand, throughout my young days at school and just afterwards a number of things happened to me that I have never forgotten."

Think of it as an autobiography with the dull bits left out; imagine him telling you them over drinks.
on 31 December 2012
This is the early autobiography of Dahl, full of hilarious stories that explain the ideas behind many of his brilliant children's books. The conversational style makes it seem like you're listening to a friend and makes this all the more easy and delightful to read. I finished this in one sitting- that says it all!
on 18 January 2013
when i started reading this book, i was sucked into it the moment i read the first word.i couldnt stop reading this book and i was disappointed when it ended. this book is very interesting and i have now read it several times. i love all the other Roalh Dalh books and this one is especially good. i would recommend this book and all the other books by Roal Dahl to 8 years and over.
on 17 October 2013
This was a extremely entertaining book! This book tells you about Roald Dahl's life story however it wasn't like a autobiography it had detail and gave you the information about his life but it wasn't boring to read!