on 16 December 2012
In a way it's a pity if the title of this book makes it seem rather specialised and could put off people (like me ) who think they're never going to make a wedding cake for themselves or anyone else. True it tells you how to do all that very clearly at varying levels of difficulty right up to the sort of luxury that has a touch of madness about it, but with plenty of common sense advice to back it up. If you like cake at all and want to experiment with cakes for smaller occasions or no occasion at all it's all here. Quantities are given for all sizes. not just fruitcake but other flavours such as choc rum truffle,apple & calvados, orange polenta, peanut butter & choc chip etc etc. As you're encouraged to experiment further who knows?- you might find yourself with the confidence to attempt a wedding cake one day after all.
on 21 February 2013
Delighted with this book it is very informative and will be well used. Every cake has ingredient list for all sizes of cakes tins.
on 31 March 2014
I cannot speak for the decoration of the cakes but every single one I have baked from this book has been delicious. The sticky ginger cake is an absolute winner. The author includes a lot of helpful tips and instructions on levelling and icing cakes. The decoration of the cakes (beyond putting fondant icing on cakes) seems quite advanced and needs specialist kit; having said that the instructions are detailed and include photos of worked examples. My only gripes about the book are: 1) whilst the author includes alternative measurements for each of the cakes so you can make them for different tin sizes, it would have been better to include every tin size; and 2) I do not believe the author ever refers to sugarpaste as fondant icing, which is confusing as they are the same, and there is no recipe for it. Having said said that it's easy enough to buy from most supermarkets! Overall a solid cake book, which shows there is more to wedding cakes than fruit and sponge cakes. I definitely be making my wedding cake(s) from this book!
on 18 June 2014
This book is absolutely amazing, definitely my favourite cake book at the moment and I do have a lot! What I love about it is that each design of cake has a different flavour of cake. Most cake books have a vanilla cake recipe with 5 variations, a fruitcake recipe and a chocolate cake recipe but this book has loads of different recipes which in my opinion as important as the decorating side of things.
on 16 April 2015
this is a great book if you planning on making a wedding cake for the first time. It has loads of different recipes with all the weights and quantities needed for each tier. I think it's a book from the US as i had to look up UK alternative for 'all purpose flour' which is plain flour if anybodies interested. I've tried two recipes so far the Chocolate fudge and Red Velvet, both easy to follow instructions and both turning out delicious, light and moist. I'm planning on making my own wedding cake and the Chocolate fudge cake recipe is going to feature as the bottom tier, i didn't buy this book for the decoration but it does have a number of different methods all with good instructions.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 May 2015
This book is amazing. Its very thorough and detailed which is necessary for someone who is doing the wedding cake for the first time. Beautiful designs as well as recipes. I would highly recommend this book.
on 4 June 2013
What a glorious book, fab. pictures, scrumptious recipes. A fantastic book for any baker, new to the art or an experienced wedding cake maker
on 4 February 2015
Excellent - great help to me when making my first ever Wedding Cake. Came out perfectly.
on 29 August 2013
This is a brilliant book. Not just for the recipes which are delicious, and the decorations, which are beautiful, but for all the advice on how to package and transport the cake to the destination. And even if you're not interested in making wedding cakes, it's worth it for the recipes alone.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 August 2013
I used this book when making a wedding cake as a gift. I found it really inspiring as well as practical. The author has managed to put together a collection of varying styles which illustrate lots of techniques. They don't all fit my design preferences, (that's surely the point) but to my eye there is nothing tacky or hideous here. Everything is clearly set out, and little previous experience is assumed. I appreciate the way the recipes and amounts of icing etc. can be scaled up. There is a chart showing the numbers of portions to expect from each cake size - something I would have thought essential information but surprisingly rarely included. This book really scores with its opening chapter helpful advice on planning, transporting and presenting the cake. It also works as a general reference for recipes and techniques which are shown and explained really well, and much of it is applicable to other celebration cakes. The design of my cake owes more to Mich Turner's Couture Cakes, (largely because I read that one first, and also wanted spaced tiers) but it was this volume that I turned to for checking I was doing things right. Highly recommended.