on 4 October 2003
This book is one of the best 'historical' novels that I have ever read. Manda Scott manages to capture the people, the sociology and the geography in such a convincing manner that it's hard to believe she hasn't uncovered a lost Iceni tribe in the Fens. The detail is magnificent and without the evidence usually available, Scott has evoked the sense of desperation and emotion experienced by these people in a very difficult time.
Highly recommended! I can't wait for the 2nd book...
on 6 March 2008
I am a big fan of fiction based on historical figures / events: Bernard Cornwell and Conn Iggulden are masters of this type of novel. It was with this in mind that I decided to try a different author in this genre. I appreciate that this book has a lot of 5 star recommendations, but as far as I am concerned I was unable to get past the first hundred pages because I ended up completely and utterley comatose trying.

The author, Manda Scott, has described everything and everyone in the finest of detail. An example: Ms. Scott took almost three pages to describe a spear!!! There was no room whatsoever for the reader to use their imagination with regards to any character or thing.

Unfortunately, I had just come from reading the fast moving / page turning Emperor series by Iggulden when I bought this book. I can assure you that this did not help to endear me to this book one iota.

I take my hat off to those who got through the first part of the book to have an enjoyable read. Me: I couldn't stay awake long enough. Sorry, but I did try.
on 31 December 2015
This is an amazing novel, so interesting and atmospheric, with wonderful descriptions, and interactions between tribes, including the threat of the Romans of course;it really takes you back to how life in BC35 is likely to have been. My only slight reservation is that it demands much attention as there are lots of characters and the story moves very quickly. Nevertheless, my life may never be the same again....
on 21 May 2003
This is by far the best 'novel' I have read in a long time. From the start I have been engrossed by Manda Scotts cleaver writting - characters thoughts and feelings are often not reveiled at first, allowing your imaginination to take control, pure escapism - which is what a good book is all about.
From the 1st page the characters, landscape and environment came alive. It's been difficult to put the book down at night. Well worth getting if you're in the mood for a damn good read - not to 'arty' or indepth but still with a strong story to tell.
on 29 July 2014
My wife loves this author and insists that I purchase the books. She describes them as authentic sounding historica noves with greta stories. Going on her impression I'd say they're a good read - just not my cup of tea.
VINE VOICEon 4 February 2012
Absolutely fantastic! There's no beating Manda Scott for what may have happended in Iron Age Brittania (the Roman name of Britain). Can't wait to read all the others in the series. Now I've actually finished reading the book - I can add the following - If you have an inkling of how Bodicea - who was known before the Victorians, and since, as Boudica, may have originated, then this is the book for you. It traces her early life, as the author, after much research, thought it may have evolved, and is the first of four "Factional" novels. I couldn't put it down - but, I had to go to work, which just got in the way!
Having now read Books 2 & 3, and started book 4 - all have been wonderful - keep it up Manda!
on 5 August 2003
I thought this was a wonderful book.The descriptions of the time are so vivid and the details is fantastic. I'm a tad sceptical that our heroin would have had the strength to out battle hardened 40 year old,18 stone warriors at the age of 15, but hey! why be pedantic? I look forward to the next 2 editions of the trilogy..
on 4 February 2004
if you love stories about strong women,if you love historical novels,then you will love this,the characters have depth,you believe in them,there is love, passion,betrayal,wisdom,i felt i was right there in the middle of it all,(don't worry guys,sword fights aplenty,my boy friend loved it too) and i cant wait to read the next one
on 27 May 2003
Boudica was a truly engrossing novel. As an historian I am always keen to criticise the frequently purile attempts to capture an age realistically in a piece of fiction. yet Manda Scott achieves this in an enthralling and mindful way. I am only too aware of the lack of evidence on this period but the skilfull way that the author pieces together the jigsaw is clever and it works. I couldn't put it down from start to finish and am chomping at the bit for the next one.
on 6 May 2003
This is one of the most gripping stories that I have ever read, once I started reading I couldn't put it down. The style of writing is descriptive, so that I couldn't just see what was happening, I could feel it. The characters are realistic, as are the descriptions of their daily activities. The reader can easily believe that this is exactly how the Celts lived. Altogether an excellent book.