Price:£412.50+ Free shipping

on 7 October 2011
Like the reviewer "doodallybloke" - I wasn't wanting to spend quite as much money (as this item costs) on a replacement shredder, but found my way to the website of "fredshed" and exchanged mails on the type of material I would be likely to shred (predominantly Leylandii branches). I didn't buy through Amazon because it was cheaper to access the B & Q site from Fred's website and get it from there. It's rare that B & Q undercut Amazon, but for this item they did. No delivery problems either.
The shredder has proved to be better than I had hoped. The previous one (Black and Decker) worked by spinning a plate with blades at each side - even with new replacement blades, it wasn't that great with either woody material or with softer / sappier "green" branches.
The Bosch AXT 25 TC is certainly much better with slightly dried wood - and can choke on branches just lopped from the trees with lots of greenery still on them. It's best to have a mix of green and woody stuff, so that if the shredder does begin to "choke" a little on the green stuff then feed it some drier branches and it will soon clear.
It doesn't seem to "grab" or "kick-back" on branches the way the previous blade model did, but draws the branches through in a slower and much more controlled and consistent way.

I have only given the unit 4 stars however because of the difficulty on moving it around. It is a weighty beast - but the problem really comes from the fact that its wheels are quite close together - so that if you are moving it around it seems rather top heavy and unstable. It can be dismantled and the upper chute assembly packed inside its collection bin if height is a limiting factor in your storage location.

However on performance alone - it has been a delight to use, with the shreddings being spread under trees etc to inhibit weed growth.

I've now used the unit through Spring and Summer (and am at an advanced stage of bringing my hedges under control) - so although I have given it a large amount of work to do, I really can't comment on it's real long term performance. However, I am confident that I now have a dependable tool which will last me for as long as I am capable of doing this type of garden work myself.
on 5 April 2011
Never having even switched on let alone owned a shredder of any description before I was somewhat bemused when I read the reviews here on all the differing makes (and types) of shredders. The reviews here are very confusing and inconsistent. What it did do however was lead me to the website of "fredshed". Emailed the man on several occasions....... (each email of which was answered within hours, very rare these days) to seek advice and I eventually settled on this Bosch AXT 25TC. It was way over the top of what I had wanted to pay. Anyway as I have a very large garden where due to circumstance had gotten away from me, it was in need of major, and I mean major, pruning... especially the Leylandi trees which had gone mad. Quite simply the garden was out of control. Got this shredder and started work. Should have purchased this machine years ago. It is fabulous. Continual trips to the waste tip with branches and twigs that keep puncturing my skin, loading....unloading.. waiting in queues to offload those same bloody branches.... all a thing of the past now. Yes I still go to the tip to offload but its all in black sacks these days. Its a joy. If you're into composting then even a trip to the waste tip is not necessary! Very therapeutic in fact to see all those prickly branches and painful splinters being sucked and crushed/cut in the self feed hopper. The machine also has many safety features. Take something off and it stops immediately, remove the catch tray and it stops, so no dangers there. This AXT 25TC is extremely powerful. It oozes power with its 2500w motor and is very quite. No ear protectors required. I get the impression that this machine is built for business. The rather exaggerated claim that it can shred branches of 45mm however is very suspect. I reckon 25mm or 1" in English to be the norm, maybe a shade more but certainly no way could I get it to shred big branches. Electrically it just kept `tripping' out, and this supposed to be the `top of the range' so what branch diameter the lesser models can cut I dread to think. Anyway my thanks to Fred (you were right) for all your help. For me anyway it was well worth the additional cash over and above what I had initially wanted to pay. Have to say that its a super powerful shredder. All IMHO of coarse."
22 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2013
I originally owned (about 10-12 years past) a generation one shredder and vowed never to buy another!
Recently a friend let me use his Bosch shredder and I decided to buy the newer and more powerful Bosch AXT25TC.
This has proved a truly great purchase:
1. It has a great 'appetite' for branches ands leafy material
2. It is reasonably quiet
3. I feed it fairly heavily and it has never jammed
4. The integrated mulch holder is robust and very useful and I have experienced no spillage
5. Any branches that don't connect with the cutting cone can easily be fed through by inserting more branches or by using the plunger supplied
6. It would seem impossible to put your hand into the cutting area ... but then why would you?
7. It is relatively fast and hassle free and ideal for the larger garden

I would suggest wearing head and face protection when using as, if like me, you intend shredding thorny material these can twist as they go down the shoot and may catch your face if too close.

The wheel base, as noted by others, needs to be wider to provide greater stability when being moved into position but this is my only small issue with an otherwise superb machine
on 19 October 2012
Very well packaged, simple to setup, fired it up today in our tree studded (Apple/Plum/Cherry/Oak) 400m2 landscaped garden for a test and it did a superb job. Mulching many long 2m-3m x 30-40mm branches, they were reduced quickly and safely without too much noise for our neighbors. I emptied the basket several times to see the result and was amazed how fine the result was. As advertised the result will decompose far faster that the chips from the cheaper alternatives. We have a 16amp outdoor socket so can handle the 2500W power easily.
on 23 April 2012
This wood-chipper is quiet, hard-wearing, cuts large branches quickly and creates a nice looking brown mulch. It seems to be the best compact wood-chipper available at the moment.

I'd recommend the Bosch website for any other information - it was very thorough.
on 27 June 2016
It's expensive but once you start using it you will feel the price is justified.

I have been using it to clear down some overgrown shrubs and bushes as well as to mulch up some branches. It's really very good.

One very small drawback is that the rotation of the cutting device is used to pull material in further through the aperture. However, if you have very bushy material, the pulling force of the cutting device may not be strong enough to counteract the resistance of the very bushy material being impeded by the narrowness (around 4 inches) of the aperture.

This is not really a big deal as all that is necessary is to gently guide the bushy material through the aperture with your hand. It's totally clear from the design that this drawback could not be remedied because it's a "health and safety" feature. The aperture is narrow (4 inches approx) and it's design is such that it would prevent a hand from being pulled into it.

So really this device does deserve 5 stars - it's very good and chipping through even quite tough wood. Basically if it goes through the aperture - then this shredder will destroy it !!!
on 11 March 2014
I have a couple of acres of garden and woodland in France which create a fair bit of work but this year there was very heavy snowfall in November which caused a lot of damage leaving me with a fair old mess of broken branches etc to clear up. I looked long and hard at the available shredders and finally settled on the Bosch. I didn't want a noisy cumbersome petrol shredder but did want something 'fit for purpose' and I have to say this machine came up trumps. It is quiet and effective and easily stored. Yes the wheels aren't great for moving it over anything other than flat surfaces but it is what it is. It most certainly isn't cheap but it shifted an awful lot of debris and I am once again on top of things. Fully recommend this machine.
on 25 November 2012
I have not owned or used any other electric or petrol chipper/shredder but don't feel I could have got a better product for the money. Its expensive but you get what you pay for - takes good sized branchs (at least as much as advertised) and literally munches them like celery.

+ quiet
+ compact
+ works as advertised.
on 31 July 2013
The old shredder was not shredding soft stuff eg fir leaves there fore after researching this product decided to buy even though it may seem expensive, it really does do what it says on the 'tin'. Relatively quiet, easy to manoeuvre and eats lots very quickly. Arrived the next day. Eco packaging. Brill service.
on 4 November 2014
Performed much better than I dared hope (based on my previous Bosch quiet shredder). We compost everything so want to reduce all material to smallish pieces to speed the process. Excellent on branches, even freshly cut with leaves attached, and copes well also with roots (suitably prepared and soil removed first) and most surprisingly with 'long green stuff'. No problems with jammimg. I like the integral collector which works fine.