Customer Discussions > Life Of Pi forum

Books which match, beat The Life of Pi?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Oct 2007 16:00:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jul 2008 22:04:10 BDT
Since reading 'The Life iof Pi' a coupld of years ago I have tried furiously to find other books which would move me as much as this one did/has done. However my search has left me somexhat disappointed. I would be very grateful if anyone could give me their opinions on other books they have read which which matched or betterd this one...

Since posting this I have tried the recommended books below and have found 2 other greats being A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak....

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2007 16:55:55 GMT
Boof says:
Hi, I had exactly the same problem; infact I still struggle to find them and I read this over 3 years ago. I judge a book on how it makes me feel reading it and also how long it stays with me afterwards and here are a few books that I read years ago but I still think about even now: The Magus by John Fowles, Memoris of a Geisha by Arthur Golden are 2 that really moved me and still haunt me now and if you want other animal themed books that stay with you try Animal Farm by George Orwell and Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I hope that helps, but as you say Life of Pi is hard to beat.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2008 12:07:09 GMT
Treefingers says:
I would recommend David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas...

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2008 05:03:27 BDT
G. Lyon says:
Try 'The God of Small Things' - another Booker prize winner.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Aug 2009 21:42:58 BDT
Sarita says:
Hi Louisa,
I was also blown away by 'The Life of Pi'....
Here are some books I read before it which I also absolutely loved and was profoundly moved by:
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabria Garcia Marquez
Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres (a million times more layered & powerful than the movie, can't recommend highly enough)
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
Enjoy! these are amazing, amazing reads.

Posted on 4 Jan 2010 09:43:37 GMT
Dai Laffin says:
Expecting Someone Taller by Tom Holt
(sorry haven't read the 'Life of Pi' book but I have never forgotten the Tom Holt book)

Posted on 23 Jan 2010 23:42:57 GMT
Still on my search for the book that beats The Life of Pi so thank you everyone for your suggestions!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2010 13:57:25 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 May 2010 14:09:04 BDT
Hi Louisa,

You don't say what it is that you like about Life of Pi (I couldn't find a review with your name on, but then I didn't look through all 330!) but if it is that sense of mystery that makes it memorable, then you might like The Lost Estate (Le Grand Meaulnes) by Alain-Fournier. If it is unusual ideas and writing, then I agree with Tree Fingers that one of David Mitchell's books would be a good suggestion. Any book by Mitchell would be good.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jun 2010 20:22:23 BDT
Try Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. it is a gripping tale which will absorb you. You will not want the story to end.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2010 03:43:46 GMT
SueP says:
I would agree anything by David Mitchell or try The Wind Up Bird Chronicle or anything else by Hanuki Murakami

Posted on 28 Nov 2011 19:36:08 GMT
MKSL says:
I absolutely loved Life of Pi, I would recommend the following:
The kite runner
A thousand splendid suns
Shantaram
Papillon
The beach

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Apr 2012 23:10:54 BDT
Agree that shantaram is just brilliant. Really loved it.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Apr 2012 17:35:57 BDT
Try Shantaram. It is an epic tome of a novel with about 900page which may seem daunting but i can guarantee you a white water rapid ride and i will defy you to put it down. I couldn't. YOu can almost taste, see and smell India and its people and it will also give you a laugh out loud moment and a vale of tears on as well every so often. I loved it and it was worth the read, so much so that I intend to read it again as there was so much going on in it so i am sure to pick up something I have missed. You won't be disappointed

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 17:40:18 BDT
Shantaram by far matches and i think even out does The Life of Pi which blew me away especially the unexpected ending. Shantaram- about an escaped prisoner who flees from Australia sets himself up in the slums of Mumbai.It travels through the city to the wars in Afghanistana and Iraq and back again. It is an epic tome of a novel with about 900 pages which may seem daunting but I can guarantee you a white water rapid ride and I will defy you once you start it, to put it down. I couldn't. You can almost taste, see and smell India and its people and it will also give you eye watering laugh out loud moments and a vale of tears poignant ones on as well, every so often. I loved it and it was worth the read, so much so that I intend to read it again as there was so much going on in it that I am sure to pick up something I have missed. You won't be disappointed
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Life Of Pi forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  17 Oct 2007
Latest post:  10 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Life of Pi
Life of Pi by Yann Martel (Audio Cassette - 2 Dec. 2002)
4.2 out of 5 stars (4,092)