Customer Discussions > The Complete MAUS forum

Books for boys

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Feb 2010 12:52:46 GMT
S. Barr says:
Am looking for a book for my 13yr old nephew - not an avid reader, so something that will really grip him? Any ideas gratefully received! Thanks.

Posted on 28 Mar 2010 13:11:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Mar 2010 13:16:37 BDT
JJG says:
I don't know if you are looking for comics (sort of assuming so as this is on the Maus Forum), but Runaways: Pride and Joy v. 1 (Runaways Digest (Quality Paper)) is a young teenager comic. I haven't read it personally, but I trust Brian K. Vaughn as a writer and have heard good things about this series. If he's use to something a little bit older Batman: Year One - Deluxe Edition is more adult, but that's if he's allowed this type of thing. It's probably a little stronger than the current Batman films, contains mentions of prostitution and is generally 'dark'. Failing that, Maus itself I remember being excellent, but I haven't read it in about eight years. So I would have been about your nephew's age or younger.

Fiction wise, at that age I was given three books. Orwell's Animal Farm and 1984, and Burgess' A Clockwork Orange, the first two I didn't enjoy until I was a little older. I really enjoyed A Clockwork Orange, but obviously that's not necessarily an appropriate book for a 13 year old, might need a conversation with his parents on that one.

Note: I was certainly not an avid reader, before that I'd pretty much only read the Narnia books of my own accord, and stacks of comics of the sci-fi, superhero genre.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Complete MAUS forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  25 Feb 2010
Latest post:  28 Mar 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Maus: Pt. 1: A Survivor's Tale (Penguin graphic fiction)
Maus: Pt. 1: A Survivor's Tale (Penguin graphic fiction) by Art Spiegelman (Paperback - 10 Sep 1987)
5.0 out of 5 stars   (1)