Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.47

on 7 March 2010
This is a great book for anyone who is seeking to find out more about Christianity, but finds the language and phraseology in the Bible difficult to follow. It takes some of the books of the Bible and tells it in modern language. Although not a substitute for the Bible, it does help to clarify those passages that it mirrors. I found this book so helpful when I first became a Christian, that I thought it may help others too, so I took it into work and put it into a book swap scheme that I'd started. I haven't seen it since, hence having to buy a new one!
This completely blew me away. It makes you think about what the familiar stories actually MEAN, and the situations behind and leading up to them. It also clings firmly to the theme throughout of God being at the centre, and of it all being part of His plan, which is so refreshing and encouraging!
on 21 January 2002
This book made daily bible reading a pleasure. Both contemprary and scriptural it is a novel as likely to be read as any picked up from an airport newsagents. It has the emotion and impact of the orriginal text, often more so. Brings out colour and depth.
There's a lot of specifics missing, as it is not a direct translation but an adaptations, and if you are seeking a chapter and verse reading you will be disapointed.
I find it a great starting point to get your thoughts together on a section of the Bible. I see it having great applications for youth work meetings and even sunday school readings.
on 23 February 2003
This book aims to be a re-telling of the bible, but as a story. It certainly achieves that, but not as well as I'd hoped.
The storyline is obviously there already (ie from the bible) but it isn't re-told particularly well. It is hard to read (I started it 3 times before I got going) and the narrative is poor in places. I feel this is a great idea, but poorly executed.
It should also be mentioned that the book misses out huge parts of the bible - for example, it picks up the narrative when Abraham is an old man. For the sake of a middle-class audience, it also misses out gruesome or explicit passgaes, so when Lot's daughters get their father drunk and sleep with him, the book just skips over it and says "they went to live in some caves".
I really feel a copy of "cover to cover", and a modern, easy to read translation of the bible (The Livivng Bible or the New Century Version for exaple) would stand the reader in better stead and be easier to read.
Remember also this book is not, and does not calim to be scripture and should not replace reading the original.
on 28 January 2006
Got a Bible but find it boring, especially the laws listed in Leviticus? Confused over some of the more old-fashioned language used (the Authorised Version)? Then I recommend The Book of God. It puts the Word of the living Lord into a style that everyone can understand, even if it does miss out a few sections along the way. This should be in every household, even if only to compare with the real thing itself.
on 1 December 2001
Walter has researched and put his heart into this beautifully crafted book and the words flow through you like a mighty river. He brings to life all the images of Palastine and the words of the many books of the bible suddenly fall into place.
I found this to be an exilarating read, which had me in laughter and in tears. It is a book not to be missed
on 27 September 2000
This book has helped me to understand who was who in the bible and who did what. It is divided easily into the Kings, the Prophets etc with whole chapters on these historical characters. Walter Wangerin has written very emotively and has really brought the Bible to life - you can almost feel the pain the Jesus went through when he was crucified.
on 27 November 2000
This book is beyond words! When I picked it up I found that I could not put it down! If you have ever wanted to read the closest account to the reality of the crucifixion of Jesus then this is the book to read it from! Following the story from Abraham through to the starting of the early church gives the reader some idea of the reality of the bible! A must for christians and non-christians alike. As a christian it made me look at my faith in a new way. This book opened my eyes and I certainly hope it will open yours!
on 24 December 2011
I was given the paperback edition of this book some time ago but struggled with it. It's quite a chunky tome and after a while I gave up.

Seeing that it was available on the Kindle, I thought I'd give it another try. I don't know whether it's because it is so much easier to read a book on the Kindle, but this time round I found it fascinating.

It's basically the "interesting" bits of the Bible, without all the bits that you normally skip e.g. the long genealogies, the obscure laws etc. Written in the style of a modern novel it takes the main stories and offers them in a way that makes for easy reading.

What's included and what's missed out seems at times a bit arbitrary and in places the story gets rather long-winded.

That said, it's a fascinating modern version of the main Bible stories, and can be read as an addition to the original.
on 13 November 2013
You must remember that this is written as a novel and don't confuse this with the authentic inspired word of God. BUT, to read the events of the bible as a story is a wonderful way of seeing the bible and God's continuing love and redemptive work in progress. You see the reality of Man/Israel's continual fall from grace and God's unwavering and unmerited patience and grace.

Yes the bible tells all this but most frequently we dip into just parts of it for lessons or even if we read it through from beginning to end the books are not structured chronologically so it can be difficult to see the story unfolding.

Anyway I thought it great