Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£5.99|
Save £0.30 (5%)
The Book of Five Rings (Shambhala Library) Kindle Edition
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Simple but effective ways of approaching any obstacles (enemies)…
The Book of Five Rings (Go Rin No Sho) is a GREAT book! If you take time to properly absorb and understand ALL of its teachings. It's not a very long book and so would be easy to read a few times over so that you get a proper flavour of the important message being presented. Thomas Cleary is a prolific writer and well qualified to produce such a translation.
A better and easier to digest version (IMHO) of this small book is Samurai Strategies: 42 Martial Secrets from Musashi's Book of Five Rings by Boye De Lafayette Mente, who very cleverly summarises this book into 42 easy to digest and understand and apply chapters.
The ideas in this book are NOT dangerous to anyone in the least, IF you balance and apply ALL of the lessons within it - that's the idea that the great undefeated warrior Musashi was trying to put across. The life saving principles he expounds here are designed to help us all have a better, easier and more fulfilled life, Martial Artist or not. His strategies can be applied and used by anyone.Read more ›
Those in America who've been advocating since 1974 to study Book of Five Rings to gain some business advantage over Japanese businessmen are barking up the wrong tree. Musashi's writings are poetic and thought provoking. Indeed, one can even learn something new and ancient about strategy from the master. It is, however, doubtful that Musashi's words can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. So then those in the 1970s who had originally marketed the book as "the alternative to the Harvard MBA" were barking up the wrong tree.
In addition to the charming and useful writings, the original (1974 English translation) Book of Five Rings includes photos of the master swordsman's quite beautiful art work, now residing in Japan in a museum dedicated to Musashi works.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Brilliant book very insightful and give you a real look at the life of Miyamoto as well as the Samurai class of the period. Read morePublished 5 days ago by Amazon Customer
Great book - changed how I looked at training, martial arts and history as well. Full review here: [...]Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
Very good book; it was just what u was looking for! The audio log that came with it was a surprise to me and it mirrors the book word for word. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Jacob Williams
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Management > Management Skills > Leadership
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Reference & Education > Business Life
- Books > History > Military History
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > Drama
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Other Religions > Eastern Mystical Philosophy
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Philosophy > Non-Western
- Books > Sports, Hobbies & Games > Combat Sports & Self-Defence > Martial Arts
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Finance > Management & Leadership
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy > Eastern
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Professional & Technical > Technology & Engineering
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Other Eastern Religions > Eastern Philosophy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Self-Help & Counselling > Self-Help
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Sport > Individual Sports > Martial Arts