on 23 February 1999
Ian Thompson's book is one that I have read at least twice that I can remember. It drew my attention in the first place because anything on Haiti is so rare as to be worthy of at least a first glance; the book held my attention for its measured pace, and its sympathetic portrayal of an island that has often been portrayed as a fount of unremitting evil. This is not the case in Mr. Thompson's work: he tells the good from the bad, but he tells about both the good **and** the bad, leaving the reader in no doubt of the author's sensitivities, yet with the reader able to make up his/her own mind...
From 1979 to 1982, with a few gaps, I lived on the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius; Mr. Thompson's portrayal of Haiti took me straight back through space and time...
As a companion to this, I would thoroughly recommend "The Serpent and the Rainbow", by Wade Davis.