Customer Discussions > At The BBC forum

Bolan at the Beeb. Bring it on!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Jun 2013 18:25:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jun 2013 20:39:32 BDT
This looks superb. Loads of previously unreleased material and, unlike the slider box set, reasonably priced. Hope the packaging is high in quality. I love the look of 'old style' 'radio times' cover so i'm optimistic for good things. August 26th cannot come quick enough!

Posted on 23 Aug 2013 10:16:18 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 17 Mar 2014 13:18:15 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Aug 2013 22:53:07 BDT
DavyA says:
I did wonder if there would be anything on this release that wasn't included in the Bolan At The Beeb 3 disc set, given the claim in the insert that - "It's not the first time Bolan's work for the BBC has been anthologised. But unless some very dusty tapes tumble unexpectedly out out of some old BBC producer's attic, it's probably as comprehensive as it will ever be" - and that was only 2007 so, as I say, I do wonder if anything else has actually been trawled up from the BBC archives or not ?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Aug 2013 06:30:06 BDT
Leveller
The 3 disc "Bolan at the Beeb" was not comprehensive. This appears to be so. I have also read that the rarer tracks have been cleaned improving the quality and making them unique to this release. It's fairly obvious why the box set is titled Bolan and not t.rex as it encompasses his entire career from Johns children onwards.
Finally, i must take issue with your critisicm of the unchained box set which i thought was excellent and superb value.
As to the packaging well i am asuming that you have had advance sight and touch of the goods so i cannot comment on this until i recieve the order next week. Lighten up! A comprehensive Bolan release is always an event in my opinion regardles of format.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Aug 2013 09:07:39 BDT
DavyA says:
Stephen,thanks for clarifying,much appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2013 06:44:43 BDT
No problem DavyA. For your additional informtion i understand that there are 15-18 previously unreleased tracks on this set and also a good number of rare 'cleaned up' performances which were hitherto difficult to access. It does appear to be a labour of love on the part of the colater. Hope i'm not dissapointed!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2013 07:58:27 BDT
DavyA says:
Stephen, would be very interested to know your opinion on this set. I am undecided on whether to splash the cash or not, so an idea of how it compares or rather builds on the Bolan at theBeeb set would be helpful. Thanks again for the information.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2013 18:23:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Sep 2013 16:36:16 BDT
DavyA
It surpasses the 3 disc bolan at the beeb set in a number of ways. I think this 6 disc set has every relvant extant recording within it although the quality of a couple of the tracks are clearly from cassette recordings from the radio.

For me it's worth it for the 'in concert' live sessions and between song banter during the concerts Peel/Bolan. I have most of the stuff availble by Bolan T.rex and yet this still suprised me with versions of elemental child, Jewell and others which i had never previously heard. To be honest i cannot really determine any great differences in the slider/tanx era tracks other than the odd yelp or vocal overdub but these are very minor and likely included for completion only.

The other main plus for me are the lenghty interview segments. Again, many of these i'd never previously heard. It's notable how interviewers fawned on Bolan during his peak and then attacked him with accusations of repetitivenes as his popularity waned. Bolan holds himself well, is articulate and intelligent in his responses.

The box itself is really lovely. Hard outer casing with a 'slide in' book housing the 6 discs and an essay from Bolan champion Mark Paytress. Several of the pictures within were new to me.
Overall, it's worth the money. Your review history strongly indicates your serious about Bolan so i do think you will appreciate the box set if you invest.
I wish someone would now collate and clean up the better of the live bootlegs like Nagoya 73 for release. There are a few that i had on cassette tape as a kid and have managed to find on ebay in cd format but i'd personally love a box set of the live stuff particularly 72-77.
Hope this is of some use!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2013 18:30:23 BDT
DavyA says:
Stephen, again much appreciated. You're right in that I am indeed serious about Bolan (above any other artist and by a country mile) so will seriously consider the investment. Once again, many thanks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  At The BBC forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  24 Jun 2013
Latest post:  9 Sep 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
At The BBC
At The BBC by Marc Bolan (Audio CD - 2013)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (13)