Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Jul 2008 15:41:41 BDT
Mr. P. Jinks says:
Sneaky little tip... it IS possible to avoid a blue shell, as long as you have a mushroom or get to a boost pad at precisely the right moment.

Notice how the shell spins about your head, then stops for a split second before smashing you in the face? Do you see where I'm going with this?

In that split second between the shell stopping its spinning, and descending upon you with its Norris-esque ass kicking abilities, use a mushroom, and you will out run the explosion.

It's incredibly tricky, but possible.

WARNING: successful completion of this technique may impair your vision due to the incessant tears of joy that will invariably fill your eyes.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2008 01:48:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jul 2008 15:51:54 BDT
D. Hartland says:
It might be possible, and hats off to anyone that manages it, but for people who actually want to try this, realistically, i'm sorry to say the chances are virtually nothing.

A) Having a mushroom in first place is unlikely as first placers can't pick them up from boxes. Or the chance of hitting a track boost at exactly the right time is even less.

B) You'd have to be on a section of the track where you could boost; not in the air, not on most corners, not near the track edge. If you're going to maroon yourself in the middle of the rough or cannon straight into a wall with the boost you might as well get hit instead. I reckon that's only about 25% of the time or so.

C) Even if you are in the right place with the right item the timing seems like it has to be spot on. And it's not as if you can practise getting it perfect for that dream moment.

By the time you'd managed to do it, you'd have probably already completed the game with 3-star on everything anyway! Still, pulling it off in multiplayer would be amazing...

UPDATE: Somehow, as if God is trying to make a fool of me, I actually happened to do it on team multiplayer a few days ago. To be honest, i saw the blue shell and panic boosted! I realised it's much more likely (but still unlikely) on team multiplayer because items only hit members of the opposite team; blue shells hit the highest ranked racer from the other team, who will not necessarily be in 1st place. By this, you can be in a position where you can pick up mushrooms and still be the target for a blue shell. I also had items on the 'basic' option, where mushrooms are INCREDIBLY common.

It is satisfying, but everybody else playing is too busy watching their own screen to notice & calls you a liar when you tell them what happened! :(

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2008 15:16:03 BDT
I have done it but only out of luck, i was going along and i was saving my mushrooms for a straight, then a blue shell came and i used them cause i knew i would loose them anyway so i quickly pressed all three and i managed to dodge it :) i was so happy cause i won the race and if it had hit me my brother would have won lol

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2008 19:04:27 GMT
B. shelley says:
if you have any tipe of mushroom and time it right you can but only experts will be able to do this i trying to do it but only succseeded a couple of times

Posted on 11 Dec 2009 14:48:34 GMT
Daniel Chard says:
I managed to do this once as well; it's not as rare or unlikely as it might seem given that it's not especially uncommon to pick up a mushroom whilst in the middle of the pack and hang on to it for the right moment but then somehow find yourself in first without having used it.

Anyone else ever picked up a blue shell and then got into first and used it to blow themselves up? I know this can be done because I've done it but clearly it isn't the most tactically minded move!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  3 Jul 2008
Latest post:  11 Dec 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about