Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 6 December 2015
A superb read, I can't recommend this book enough. Looking forward to reading his other work. The pace maybe fast, but the characterisation is most definitely present and correct, which to me makes the difference between a great read and a so-so read. It's a neat trick to make one care about the characters and have plenty of action. One is often at the expense of the other. But not here. The plot is interesting, with enough twists and turns to satisfy the who dunnits. The world of Blue is mapped out clearly for ScFi fans to easily imagine themselves in that universe. Will be re-reading this in a few years. Love it!
on 2 December 2013
"Blue Into The Rip" a treat for Sci Fi and Fantasy lovers! A book has to grip me from the first chapter and "Blue's" adventure certainly did that! A great book not only for YA's but also for the young at heart. Interesting characters and great content. Can't wait for the next instalment and will definitely recommend this book to family and friends!
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Thanks for a great read Kev - great work!!
on 3 June 2014
Blue is literally ripped from the life he knows. Well written, great character's, I really enjoyed this futuristic Sci-fi and gave it a 5 stars rating as it ticks all the right boxes for me. I imagine this story would appeal to teenagers and adults alike, really anyone that loves a good story and I look forward to reading more about Blue in the future.
on 23 March 2014
Rip into the future, but everything is not as it should be there. Climate change has swamped the earth creating abnormal weather patterns and the Earth is heading for another Ice Age. But our young hero Blue has been plucked forward in time to a world he struggles to recognise. Kev Heritage creates a beautifully detailed post apocalyptic world, but Blue is desperate to return to his family and misses his little sister.
Blue moves back and forth in time from a present that is dull, where he doesn’t fit, into a militarised future that he resents and kicks against. Heritage’s plot twists and turns as Blue tries to discover who he can trust in his new existence. The characters are well formed and utterly believable as Blue questions what is real and what is not. He struggles to uncover who are his friends and who are foes. The complex political situation in the future leaves Blue justly bewildered which side is good or which is evil.
Heritage’s writing luminously offers glimpses of the complicated dichotomy caused by a life after major climatic disaster. But the reader is kept in the dark until the very end of the book as to who can be trusted in the new universe. Rip into the blue is a stylish virtuoso rendering of this electrifying adventure story for young adults. This is not a genre I usually read but I enjoyed it thoroughly and would recommend it wholeheartedly to others. It is a book that teenagers will find absolutely riveting and their parents might enjoy too.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 November 2013
Thank you to the author for the review copy.

Blue didn't want to be in the future
...they didn't want him there either
A rip in the fabric of time, a far-flung globally warmed future, a flooded Earth and the only remainder of civilisation - a militaristic organisation living underneath `Desert Amazon'...

I've been reading a plethora of YA lately (and I have plenty more to come on my lists) and I'm often amazed at the quality to be found in fiction aimed at the younger market. This was no exception - an imaginative and involving time distortion tale that held my interest throughout.

"Blue" is a teenager with a right pair of parents and a little sister called Annie, who, whilst searching for his lost sister, ends up 400 years into the future...where life has changed, mostly due to global warming and mass flooding. There he gets involved in all sorts of shenanigans - in a world he does not recognise...

In a lot of ways, despite whats happening around him, Blue is a typical teenager - distracted by girls, often sent off on a tangent by "cool" stuff, but also pretty determined to reach his goal - however from the start and as the story progresses it becomes apparent that he is not quite so "typical" after all..

The story flowed well, had a terrific believable premise as far as how the future of our planet could look and some well imagined characters. There are some twists and turns, add to that an inventive writing style and you have all the ingredients for a great scifi teen read. Or in my case a great scifi 40something read...hey, age is a state of mind right?

Highly enjoyable. I shall look forward to the sequel. Recommended for the young at heart who like scifi and fantasy.

Happy Reading Folks!
on 23 March 2014
Blue Into The Rip is quite a different YA book. It doesn’t have vampires, it’s not about the end of the world, has no bows and arrows, and there is no magic to be seen anywhere. It’s a sci-fi adventure in a similar vein to Ender’s Game with time travel thrown in for good measure.

What a fantastic debut novel from Kev Heritage. Blue Into The Rip has everything going for it: time travel, interesting characters, suspenseful situations, good guys, bad guys and camaraderie.

Blue finds himself four hundred years in the future thanks to a rip in time. The world is a very different place. Our fifteen year old protagonist ends up in the academy of a mysterious military organisation called SEARCH. This is where the action really starts, where Blue makes friends and enemies and begins his own search to find a way home.

There is also an environmental message thrown in about the possible future of the planet with global warming. It certainly is a great premise for a series and I really look forward to spending more time with Blue. So few stories are written aimed at middle school boys and older with an interesting premise and this certainly fills a gap there.

If you are an adult, don’t let its YA tag stop you reading it. Blue Into The Rip is well written, creative, and just shows you that Independent authors are creating work as good, if not better than traditional publishers. I highly recommend you join Blue for a rollicking, thought-provoking adventure.
on 2 December 2013
A few months ago, Kev contacted me and offered me an ARC of his new novel, Blue Into The Rip to read in return for an honest review. I finally got around to reading it a couple of weeks ago and am now FINALLY posting my review. Kev, I apologise for my
tardiness!

When I first started Blue Into The Rip, I was drawn in hook, line and sinker. I wanted to know who this boy, nicknamed Blue was and why his parents - once he is ripped through time - are considered terrorists in this new world Blue is now a part of.

Once Blue arrives in the future the world is a very different place, the world is essentially inhabitable for life, to go outside a protective substance has to be applied to the skin just to bare the suns rays (something Blue learns is vital early on) and the Academy he is pulled into and becomes a member of are based in a huge underground world. This book isn't just enjoyable but it makes you think about what we're doing the the world we live on. All the conditions described by Kev could be in humankind's future.

Then there was the sci-fi space travel element, when Blue arrives in this new (to him) world, he becomes a member of a set of cadets who all come from varying worlds all over the solar system. I loved getting the know all the different kinds of otherworld beings there were, Kev created a diverse set of characters and described them so perfectly I could just see them in my mind as I was reading. The whole group can navigate easily to the other worlds with Blue and his fellow cadets doing so later on in their training at the academy.

I loved all the supporting characters in this book especially Hermans, the ultra formal boy from another world who, over time, forms a solid friendship with Blue. There wasn't a character in this book that didn't play some kind of role in the story which I loved.

And then there's the big twist, which I as always, did not see coming and it really did make the book even better and more enjoyable. I also loved the ending, it was so fitting for Blue and the story he tells in Blue Into The Rip.

All in all, Blue Into The Rip is an amazing read with great characters, an amazing story and a great ending.
on 5 November 2013
There are a few occasions when you start to read a book and you get that little spark of 'this is going to be good' early on in the first chapter. This is one of those books and I was awake into the early hours reading it. Always a good sign!

Blue Into The Rip is marketed as YA fiction but as a forty something with a love of all things 'space' related I really enjoyed this book and would rate it very highly in my list to date of this genre and type.

The author has created a future world which is so different from what we know now but it isn't, for a change, all doom and gloom. He has made use of current science (and possibly sprinkled a little Star Trek in there too) to create a place where humans exist with most of their needs catered for. I loved the phrases he used for the military such as 'well met', 'be cool' etc as they are phrases associated with film/literature of today which added a little humour into the writing for me personally. The only critiscm I have is I didn't feel the explanations of words/terms used were needed in the middle of the text but it's a small point and simply a personal preference.

This book is the first installment in Blue's adventures and I will definitely be coming back for more. Young Adult time travel at its best.
on 10 August 2014
What a great book and a good concept. I knowing is meant to be for teenagers but I have just finished it and can't wait for the next instalment.
Now passing it on to my 15 year old son and then to his 13 year old brother.
Roll on book two!
on 15 February 2014
Despite this being his sci-fi debut, Kev Heritage has weaved his magic like a true professional!
There's adventure, time travel to a dystopian future, the end of civilisation as we know it, global warming (and wetting!), space travel and the timeless troubles of being a teenager to contend with, all while Blue tries to find a way home.
The author is an excellent wordsmith and his use of language and wit throughout will have you both in awe of the imagery and laughing out loud on the train!
The plot and characters offer intrigue and mystery right from the first page and Kev Heritage delivers it all in abundance.
This is a wonderful read - I would highly recommend it. Suitable for all ages from teens to adults this will keep you hooked to the very end.
"It's awe-wonder-some!" As Blue would say...
I can't wait to see what the author will do next!