Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Jul 2013 20:10:37 BDT
Just wondered if anyone has seen or heard of a Blu-Ray release?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2014 19:15:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 May 2014 19:23:21 BDT
P. Stark says:
An American Tail USA Blu-ray - Please note that the Ultraviolet Digital Copy is for residents of the USA only and is not available to UK customers in this edition.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HEEAM3K

An American Tail [Blu-ray] [1986] [US Import]

Amazon says ALL REGIONS but Blu-ray dot com have not confirmed it. The American Blu-ray discs I own from Universal are all region free so I'm confident amazon have it right this time!

Blu-ray dot com don't make this seem like a very good upgrade (the source materials used not the encode) so I'm not sold on it!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/An-American-Tail-Blu-ray/80136/

Posted on 27 May 2014 20:04:20 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 May 2014 20:32:15 BDT
Well, at least he does acknowledge that the BR version 'looks better than it ever did' on home video versions, which as to count for something, right? He just seems disappointed by the missed opportunity of a high quality restoration a la Disney, you know. So maybe it's not all _that_ horrible?

And many thanks to you for finding all this information for me, if you happen to stumble up on a 'proper' European release... :)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2014 10:30:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 May 2014 10:32:17 BDT
P. Stark says:
Hi,

I don't get it the Yank version should be OK?

If it isn't Amazon will have to refund you since they say 'All Regions' on the page.

Plus the thing only costs 6-8 pounds plus postage.

I'd use Rarewaves USA (fastest delivery overall), Moviemars USA or All Your Music on amazon marketplace since they are generally very reliable.

For me though the biggest annoyance has been Universal/George Lucas/Steven Spielberg either editing or changing voices & sound effects on the Don Bluth directed An American Tail and the first The Land Before Time film.

For '80s kids that means that only the VHS releases were as theatrically released (not meaning aspect ratio but rather the content of the film).

BTW the BD is 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen whereas some other releases have been reported as open-matte 1.33:1 (not cropped). Since this would have originated on 35mm film I could believe that but I have given up trying to figure out the 'correct' aspect ratio for An American Tail and instead of fretting; I just enjoy the film!

BTW am I the only one who thinks that Fievel's American Tails (1992, TV series) was much better than Universal's Land before Time II-XIII or TV series and really should be on DVD!

I never cared for An American Tail 3 or 4 though.

Posted on 28 May 2014 15:23:42 BDT
Fair enuff, a lot of input there to consider. I however was simply thinking languages (subtitles and/or audio) when I mentioned the idea of a 'proper european' release. See, I've found that there's a vast difference between european and usa releases in that regards, with the latter often being far more limited in that department.
That was really all I was thinking there, but thanks again for the input... oh, and AT 3&4 aren't nearly as good as the first, I'm with you on that :)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2014 23:36:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 May 2014 00:30:59 BDT
P. Stark says:
I see what you mean Re: languages. It obviously depends whether you want or need anything beyond English (USA) for the film. Some people have foreign or non-English speaking relatives etc. to consider among other potentially more personal choices.

An American Tail on the USA Blu-ray disc includes English (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 48kHz, 24-bit) alongside the usual Spanish (DTS 5.1) & French (DTS 5.1) language soundtracks associated with many USA Universal releases. It also offers American English Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard Of Hearing plus normal French & Spanish subtitles.

I will always be it rightly or wrongly; presume that the thing is geared towards French Canadian & Latin American Spanish given the localised nature of most US Blu-ray discs & DVDs (excluding recent Warner Bros. & Fox BDs that will for the most part, include more language options than those listed on the back cover of the case).

All the best.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  25 Jul 2013
Latest post:  28 May 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
An American Tail [DVD]
An American Tail [DVD] by Christopher Plummer (DVD - 2005)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (26)