on 25 February 2014
This is my first ever review here on Amazon, and after reading everything by Lee Childs, Tom Knox, Scott Mariani, Andy McDermott, John Lyman, and Dan Brown, it's this little series of books that has compelled me to write a few words.

It's simply the best and most wonderful escapist fun you could wish for.... if you start from the beginning of the series, you'll see the evolving and breathtaking action dotted throughout with dry humour. The humour perhaps lessens in later books, as the characters develop and bond with each other, but it all feels like a very natural progression.

I don't want to get too heavy here, as it's all about dodging bullets, avoiding explosions and bashing bad guys after they've hurt you first, but it's a very very well written example of this genre !

I really recommend connecting with the author via email, to give him feedback and get updates from him on his mailing list... he's a really nice guy and a perfect example of why I love my Kindle so much.
on 12 February 2014
What is it with this series? I only rated Swords of Babylon 3star, but this gets 5star for mainly being the same, but punchier, I read it in less then 4 hours over 3 sittings yesterday, really was gripping.
As per my review on Babylon, the guy is a walking disaster, and this time SPOILER!! some of his friends become collateral damage, but this time it's not all action hero winning the day, lots of pain and suffering, great spin off story for Mai, and definitely looking forward to Coyote in part 8, reputedly the climax!! ( As a bonus, you can get an exclusive short story on kindle by emailing the author)
on 23 January 2014
The author has written another worthy 'next step' in the Matt Drake series. This book was slightly different, in that it did not focus upon the mythical elements of the previous novels; instead it deals with the team of characters being personally targeted by a vicious, old enemy. The time frame for the narrative is short and the pace of the action is relentless - driving the reader along in a way that engages the emotions strongly. The existing characters, developed over the previous novels, are directly challenged and some are brutally lost along the way, which was a brave thing for the author to do but was completely right, in my opinion, to move them on. The author has retained the sense of the characters' high level of martial skill whilst ensuring that a feeling of invincibility does not set in with the reader. Despite their abilities, it is clear that any one of the main characters is vulnerable, allowing the tension to develop quickly within the various sub-plots of the book.

As always, the detail is excellent and the vivid description actively supports the author's skilled use of believable dialogue. If you have already read the previous books, I highly recommend getting hold of this one a.s.a.p!

David Leadbeater is an author on the rise. I look forward to reading more from him in the future. Coming back to this particular book, it is a fantastic read and one that forced me to complete it in a single sitting. Well done, David!
on 16 January 2014
Tragic, unstoppable, epic.

These three words do not do this story or this saga justice but they do capture the essence of the ethos. The author has spent the past 6 books making us fall in love with and believe in these stories central characters', and from the very first page this self-aggrandising, wink-wink, homely and familiar knowledge is torn asunder with the force of a Mai Kitano spinning kick. The action is non-stop and viciously tragic at times, the dialogue is witty and sparkling with a constant edge of unmistakable violence. Drake himself is a leviathan, a true hero with a moral compass and the urge and tenacity to fight his way out of any situation. The SPEAR team have a bigger part in this novel, and the relationships have gained depth and reality. I found it impossible to put down and just wish that I was again just finding this series for the first time. At least then I would still have another 6 books to read.
on 28 January 2014
I have read all of the books in this series, I usually read these types of books action and adventure with a little history/mythology thrown in. I was draw to the first book simply because it was set around Norse mythology. This was something I had not come across before, and yes the storyline in the first book was not as tight as it could have been, but the mythology and characters drew me in and now here we are on book seven.
I settled down for a relaxing read, for the first nine chapter i found my self say omg over and over, the author has done something most other would not do.(can't say too much it would spoil the story).
The book read at a fast pace that was far com relaxing and left me wanting more, so please to find David Leadbeter had writ a short story about two of the characters, I also got a very nice email from him as well.
I would highly recommend these books and can't wait for the next one
on 16 March 2014
I love this series and cannot stop reading it again and again, this time it was so action packed and shocking that I forgot to breathe.
Prepare for a wild rollercoaster ride of a story, forget the outside world and immerse yourself in pure escapism.
This series needs to be read in order, all the characters are heroes in their own way but the series starts with Drake who, after a career in the Army has started to build a new one as a photographer. His new life is ripped away and Drake is catapulted into a series of adventures, collecting friends and enemies on the way.
Read, enjoy and let the author know what you think.
Thoroughly recommend the Disavowed series and the Ghost stories set in York written by the same author.
on 24 January 2014
Awsome! With the turn of each page the story builds weaving skilfully the characters intricate histories and futures, some longer than others. The action is relentless, page after page keeping the reader engaged.
In reading the series in order you inevitably find an affinity builds meaning you immerse yourself into the adventure to the point that this, the latest is the best so far.
How these books have not yet made it the silver screen is a mystery?
David Leadbeater is a great author who really should have a glittering literary future.
I will admit that whilst I eagerly await this summer's promised sequel I will certainly be revisiting Matt Drake1 through 7.
So, that's the next week's reading taken care of!!
on 10 May 2014
what a great voyage it has been. I think I am correct in saying that the author has made us a part of 'the family' to which matt drake belonged. All of them could have a book, or books, written about them individually as the stories develop around them, with guest appearances of 'the family' popping up just when needed to assist the hero in completing his or her task. I have thoroughly enjoyed the books by David Leadbeater and will always continue to do so, I'm sure. it has been a great and exciting journey and to think I have come through it all without so much as a bruise is unbelievable. Thank you David for the adventures _ pure escapism at its best.
on 9 February 2014
The thing that is so great about these stories is the characters. They all have endearing qualities in their own way. I defy anyone not love Alicia Myles. The action is enthralling and in this book more than any of the previous in the Matt Drake series, the main characters are threatened more than ever before leaving me shouting out in anguish at one point.

The Blood King is a great baddie whom I really loved to hate.

Well done David Leadbeater. I can't wait for Last Man Standing!
on 24 January 2014
For me the best yet in the Matt Drake run of books!! As always things take off from the first chapter and just don't let up! Twists,turns and some take your breath away shocks a plenty!! Then at the end you get a hint of what's to come in the next adventure and are left exited and wanting more!! To get ready for Matt Drake 8 'Last man standing' I'm going back to the Matt Drake 1 'The bones of Odin' to do it all again!! I've really enjoyed all this guy's work and this again for me was brilliant!!!