Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 15 February 2011
My husband bought me a kindle for Christmas and I purchased a few of the "Twelve Days Of Christmas " books for my new kindle .
I do doubt that I would have read C J Box otherwise . I was amazed . His descriptive abilities are fantastic. His hero Joe Pickett is a man we all know .Quiet unremarkable ,but possessed of the ability to see people as they really are .He sees the best in all he meets and suffers when let down .I can really imagine the wilderness as he portrays it, I can feel his sadness and his joy . I have now read 8 ( not all available on kindle worst luck) of of the books in the series and would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone who loves a good mystery.
on 8 January 2014
Bought one of C J Box's novels as it was on special offer and I loved it. This is the second and although I am going back and forward in the series, it doesn't matter as each story is self contained and the characters are developed in each book. Who would have thought that a US Game Warden could have such an exciting life?!!
on 19 May 2013
I love the 'Joe Pickett' series. Joe and his family are so believable. There are always shocks in the books as well - no character is safe. My one criticism of the author is, that, in letting the characters age, we will run out of stories and I really don't want them to end!
on 18 September 2013
One of CJBox's best;full of suspense,very well written and a real thriller.I have enjoyed many of the stories involving Joe Picket and his character is being gradually developed with skilful writing.A thrilling and surprising climax.
on 27 September 2014
I don't know how much I can add to the praise cj box gets for his hero.
His writing style is fast paced and brief he dosnt waste words, though he still manages to paint the pictures in your mind.
His hero Joe Pickett is likeable and human, didn't always get it right but always does the right thing.
In this novel he is tracking down a killer who is hunting hunters, a environmental activist is encouraging the killer while seeking to further his own ends.
Beyond d that you will have to read yourself, if you have never read this series dig out the earlier books you really will enjoy the stories more if you read in order, though it's not necessary.

Read the tale and allow yourself to be whisked away.
on 2 January 2014
I read Open Season eighteen months ago and liked it. So during the time that followed I picked up four other CJ Box books on Kindle (all at bargain prices). Obviously quite a lot has happened in the world of Joe Pickett since then, and perhaps I should have followed the advice of another reviewer and read the books in order. But having said that, this book is a good read in its own right and more than just a whodunit: it's interesting and serious too. The plot is certainly gripping, with various twists and turns.

I enjoyed this book and I'm glad I returned to CJ Box. I look forward to reading the others in my Kindle collection, though not immediately since I might feel a bit over-faced.
on 4 March 2013
Another very enjoyable read from C.J.Box. Writes extremely well but it is the restricted environment in which he operates making it difficult to give more than three or four stars. It pays to have read all the Joe Pickett books to fully understand the characters as they come in and out but if you have, you generally look forward to the next. How much mileage there is in a Wyoming game warden's life remains to be seen and it helps to have his other character Nate on the fringe although I have been critical when Box focuses on him as the main player as the stories become a little over the top. I look forward to the next Joe Pickett to see where he takes us.
on 16 January 2014
I have read a few poor books recently in a bid to find some new authors. So to relieve the pressure, i went back to C J Box. Unfortunately, i havent read these in order which is a shacme and this is an earlier on but it is still worthy of 5 stars. One of the real skills of a thriller writer is to write about murders eyc without creating so much misery that the reader becomes depressed. This author had this skill in abundance and I would highly recommend this gripping book especially if you are on holiday or a long plane journey as it is difficult to put down.
on 22 January 2013
This novel, like others by CJ Box, is entirely absorbing. The plot that the author creates, starting off with the horrific scene of a brutally mutilated hunter's body drew me in quickly, and the horrors that follow seem so at odds with the setting that is brought to life so enticingly.

Some of the characterisation can be a touch exaggerated, but in a book that is ideal for escapism, that feels like not the worst criticism. I would definitely recommend the book for those who like a well-paced whodunnit, particularly those who enjoy a scenic backdrop.
on 11 December 2012
I like Jo Pickett; he's one of lifes more enduring characters, and he's had more to endure than most I guess. The plot was well thought out, hunters being hunted, new one on me. And the way they were despatched was quite original too. Anyway, Jo stumbles through to the end, not realising who his real friends are, questioning himself at every turn, until the answer jumps out at him (the process of elimination ensures it is only the culrpit and Jo left at the end). Good yarn all the same, very evocative, well told. Looking forward to the next one.