on 5 June 2010
curled up in my bed with my new book, not exactly looking forward to it, but knowing it was better than nothing. But once I started, I couldn't stop, and finished it sometime around 4 am the next morning. I can't explain how I could suddenly be completely sucked in to this world, but when I got home, I raided my friend's collection of Vampire Chronicle books.
I've read them all, except Interview. That confuses many people, but I just can't get into it. All four main characters - Louis, Lestat, Claudia and Daniel - appear in other books, I'm familiar with the plot points, and don't think it's necessary. I just really don't think it's a very good book. I much prefer the characters' appearances in the other books.
I've loved many of the other selections in the series, but none quite as much as I love Blood and Gold. For me, it's the true last contribution to the Vampire Chronicles, even though two or three more books were published. (Those stories were Mayfair Witches crossovers, and I did enjoy them very much.) It's Marius' story, and he and Armand are by far my favorite of the characters (followed closely by Lestat, who also plays a big role in Marius' story). Marius is very close to being the oldest vampire of the group, so his maturity and authority are to be expected. However, his immaturity and childishness are surprising elements, and those unforeseen qualities are some the reasons he is so interesting to read about. I've read it three times so far, and if I could give it another star, I would
on 1 March 2013
All I can say that I really loved this book. I finally knew all story of Marius and Bianca. I knew so much of characters I knew just names.

I remember scene with Zenobia that made me cry. It was so beautiful. And Bianca who saved Marius. And poor Armand. But mostly I paid attention on Marius and Pandora. They remind me of myself and girl I dated. She was real Pandora, and I was like Marius- begged her to stay with me, looked for her...butwe still broke up.

I could understand and Bianca's jealousy. Bianca is really femnine and knows that no man can betray her. Well, Marius looks "good-evil". He can be very gently and loving, but also very evil and cruel. So I don't know I like him or not. But probably I do. I was very sad when he lost his all books and paintings. I can imagine his pain.

In any case all book was very interesting, I enjoyed it very much. Now when I finished it, I have many thoughts in my head and I think "What I could do if I was one or other character?". I think now what I could understand and what I could judge. The end of book was quite...strange. I was a little bit shocked and didn't expect such ending. (Maybe because I forgot to ask my friends who read this book more details, I asked my all friends who read every book of VC to tell me every single detail before I start reading). And I'm very sad about Santino's death.... I think Marius had to forgive him, because Santino helped him after all to repay for Armand. But how I can judge Marius of this revenge Thorne did for him, when I, myself, cannot forgive my enemies?

In summary I think this book is very good to understand such emotions like anger, revenge, love, hate, solitude... I would never forget this book. It is locked in my heart forever. I bow for all Anne Rice works, because none of her books still didn't disappoint me. I loved all of them.
on 31 December 2002
I bought this as a treat to read on holiday. I enjoyed the book, in that it passed the time, but it seemed to me to lack 'zip' and pace, and much of the prose was, frankly, overly flabby and plodding. (How many times in one book can you use the device of repeating an introductory clause with a slightly different ending three times over ?) Also, there was vey little in the way of new plot introduced here - rather, there was a re-warming of much that was known from other parts of the chronicles. The dialogue seemed unconvincing at times too ... sorry, to be so negative, as I have thrilled to Rice's prose in the past, but the sparkle seems to have worn a bit thin here.
Still, if you've read the other books in the chronicles seies you'll probably want to read this - if you haven't, might I suggest that you start elsewhere ?
on 18 April 2011
Having read all of the Vampire Chronicles up to and Including Blood and Gold, I can say this is one of the best, along with The Vampire Lestat.

Marius' story seems to pull all of the others together and having read various reviews on Amazon I was afraid that this story would be just a retelling of the other chronicles. However, what I found was that large parts of the book are concerned with new characters never before heard of such as Avicus, Eudoxia and Thorne.

Blood and Gold does revisit periods in time already covered in the other chronicles but having literally put down Pandora and picked up Blood and Gold, I felt that it was a refreshing stance over the earlier years and not just a re-hashing of events. The first half of the book was really absorbing and started at a very quick pace. This is something that has frustrated me in the past- that Anne Rice can sometimes spend too long setting the scene with overly descriptive and elaborate introductions- not the case thankfully here.

The only negative aspect from my point of view was although Amadeo (Armand) is one of my favorite characters, the second half probably went into a bit too much detail of the Renaissance Period which had already been covered in The Vampire Armand. For about fifty pages i felt that I was getting nothing new from the pages.

The ending was fairly abrupt but satisfying. It felt like Anne Rice was either saving the story of Thorne for a book in itself or just fed up of writing. Nevertheless I was happy with that as what worked most of all is that it was Marius' tale and nobody else's.

A great read, longer than previous novels but with the content to justify it. I would definitely recommend blood and gold but only for those who have read previous installments.
on 23 September 2011
I WAS REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THE STORY OF THE WISE AND CEREBRAL MARIUS AND THE FIRST FEW CHAPTERS DID NOT LET ME DOWN,ANNE RICE AT HER BEST, HOWEVER AS THE BOOK PROGRESSED IT STARTED TO LOOSE THAT EARLY MOMENTUM. ABOUT HALF WAY THROUGH IT STARTS TO PALL A BIT, TOO LONG WINDED IN PARTS AND NOT ENOUGH ACTION TO MAKE IT A REAL PAGE TURNER. MY MAIN PROBLEM WITH THIS BOOK THOUGH IS THE STAPLED ON ENDING, THE FOCUS OF WHICH IS REVENGE AND MARIUS'S HATRED OF ONE OF THE OTHER CHARACTERS. NOW IF YOU HAD ONLY READ THIS BOOK AND NONE OF THE OTHERS IN THIS SERIES THIS WOULD BE TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE, BUT IF YOU HAVE READ FOR INSTANCE 'THE QUEEN OF THE DAMNED' OR 'THE VAMPIRE ARMAND' THEN
IT JUST DOES NOT, AS MARIUS AND THE OTHER CHARACTER APPEAR IN SCENES TOGETHER WITH NO APPARENT AMIMOSITY BETWEEN THEM - IN THE ARMAND BOOK HAPPILY WANDERING ROUND NEW YORK TOGETHER ! FUNNY THAT GIVEN HOW MUCH MARIUS HATES HIM. COULD THIS TOTAL ABOUT FACE BE BECAUSE A DEADLINE WAS LOOMING AND ANNE HAD TO GET THIS BOOK FINSHED ASAP? SHAME THIS IS ON THE MAIN A BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN STORY. ON THE PLUS SIDE IT WORKS WELL AS A STAND ALONE NOVEL - JUST DON'T BOTHER READING THAT LAST 'DASHED' OFF CHAPTER.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I am an absolute Vampire Chronicles nut! I've read 'em all.

This one is up there with my favourites. I was so excited when my hands fell on this book in the shop. A whole book devoted to Marius. Fabulous Marius. I could not wait to read his side of the story when it came to Armand, his Amadeo.

Again, Rice's writing is spellbending and I was sucked into the story so quickly. I was completely lost and next thing I knew, I had missed my bus stop. But it was so worth it. Enthralled and addicted, I read this book whenever I had a spare moment. I would run a bath, get in and read it 'til the water was stone cold... yuck.

Anyway, the story is compelling and very clever. The whole world Rice has created is so realistic and so intricate that you almost believe that Marius could pop up outside your window at any moment.

I honestly can't say anything bad about this book. I loved it from beginning to end.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is perhaps her best story of all.
I bought it because I am captivated by all her Vampire Chronicles.
I did not expect it to be anywhere near her best because I realised it would cover old ground explored in her earlier books.
But she covered it so well. She made what was ground covered before new ground from Marius's perspective. Rather than him being a supporting character he was the main character and you got to see his true feelings on what occurred.
The book is a tragedy in many ways and brings out many emotions in the reader. It is spell binding. It is a love story and it is a action book. It makes you fall in love with the characters and the places they go.
She has always been an expert at bringing out the emotions in her readers and she does to with great skill in this novel, the scene where he meets Pandora again after so many centuries but must let her go is heartbreaking.
I started off loving Marius as a character in her earlier books, then as she wrote more books coming to dislike him, but reading this has made me once again come to admire and respect and have empathy for this character. He shall now always be one of my favourites of all her characters.
If you have not read any of her other Vampire novels then this is a good one to start with.
As long as she writes books like this I will be a fan and eagerly buy her work.
on 29 January 2002
Blood and gold has, as you can see from above reviews, been heavily criticised. The reason for this i find to be quite simple, a lack of maturity among the readers.
The thing that is most enthralling about Anne Rice's vampires is their distinctive humanity. They are all basically super sensitive and passion driven vehicles of the human mind, they are not always good natured nor are they completley evil, they are normal. Yes normal, their vampiric lusts are just coincidental, it is the personification of our base interest that Rice feels fits best.
This novel is as good, even better, than previous chronicles. It is emotive and moving, it accounts the life of a two thousand year old vampire named Marius, and it does so with amazing grandeur and passion. the description of both character and setting in the novel is, and i sincerley mean this, far superior than anything i have ever read, i include in this, Dickens and Shakespere, the Brontes and King. It is simply a joy to read.
If you are a fan of Biography or fiction, vampire or monster, this novel will not dissapoint. i implore you to read it with and open mind and allow the notions and questions that it poses to flood through your mind. I think you will find yourself surprised at the sheer brilliance of it.
on 12 February 2003
Can someone tell me WHAT is up with Anne Rice lately? I really enjoyed Merrick and loved the cliffhanger, but she fails to do anything to resolve the cliffhanger in this novel, ostensibly a sequel. Also, I found Marius' life to be incredibly boring until he got further into the present time. At that point, it seemed almost like Anne got sick of writing the book and she wrapped it up quickly and rather bizarrely.
Marius is telling his story to a vampire we are introduced to, one made by Maharet, Thorne. His story seems as if it would be interesting, but alas, only tidbits are thrown out there and then his story is used to wrap up the novel. Why do we even care about this guy?
Of course I am going to continue to read the Chronicles - unfortunately I've been sucked in!
THE STORY:
Marius, ancient guardian of the King and Queen of the Damned tells to the long-dormant vampire Thorne. the story of his life, from his fateful encounter with Mael through his lost loves Pandora and Armand.
WHAT'S GOOD:
You'd be justified in thinking that large portions of Marius' story have already been told in 'The Vampire Lestat', 'Pandora' and 'The Vampire Armand', however here Rice gives us the perspective of one of her best creations, the clever and heartfelt Marius. Rice has a talent for writing tragedy and Marius is perhaps her most tragic character, meaning you genuinely feel his pain as piece by piece his life is stripped away from him, leaving him remade by the end. I really enjoyed this book and was particularly pleased by the ending, in which Marius is unable to act as he wishes (out of his unerring sense of duty) and is helped by his new friend Thorne (who feels no such allegiance to Maharet).
WHAT'S BAD:
Although it didn't bother me, I'm sure that the fact much of the story has already been told one way of another will probably put off or disappoint some readers.