on 18 March 2014
A stockbroker inadvertently gets involved with a drugs cartel who want to use him to recover their stolen money, then kill him and anyone else associated with him to leave no loose ends. This is one of those stories where our intrepid hero, with no policing or detective knowledge is thrown in at the deep end and has to attempt to sort things out himself. He battles against mounting odds.

The characters are well drawn, you really root for the goodies and the baddies emit a believable air of ruthlessness and menace, sometimes under a veneer of respectability. There's a sub-plot of a black widow who marries wealthy old men at death's door to be addressed too.

It works! The story is tight and moves along at a pace that keeps you interested and, to use a well worn cliché, you've got a page turner on (in) your hands.

If you like thrillers, there's more than enough here to keep your attention for the duration of the book. Is there a down side? One reviewer says he feels that the story is a little far fetched. I'm not sure I agree really. To write about mundane, every day stuff is to guarantee nobody reads your book. Because what happens isn't an every day occurrence doesn't make things unbelievable. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 30 March 2014
A first class thriller, had a job to put it down, very exciting and loved the characters. Will read more from this author.
on 14 October 2013
This was a good read,it made you want to keep reading to get to the end.Would definitely recommend this book
on 24 March 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, didn't want to put it down. Kept me gripped right to the end.. Would read more from this author. I absolutely recommend this book
on 6 August 2014
A successful corporate stockbroker, Matt Seattle, is struggling to get over the death of his family and relocates to set up his own business. He befriends one of his older clients who marries a black widow and dies almost immediately. Because her previous wealthy husbands have also stopped breathing soon after the nuptials the stockbroker hires a private detective to check into his friend's death. What follows is a catalogue of disasters that involve embezzled funds, a shady lawyer, a mad assassin, a dead pet, a kidnapped friend and employee, an arson attack that destroys the stockbroker's office, a drug cartel bent on bloody revenge and several murdered law enforcement officers. Unlike many other authors Jay Giles has not conveniently made his hero an ex-special forces super hero with the ability to declare war on a small country and win, he's just a stockbroker with more problems than many heads of state. Despite this catalogue of woe 'Blindsided' is an uncomplicated read and apart from the hero's name and a dull patch near the end while awaiting the obvious I enjoyed this story. More than a holiday read, less than a classic. Give it a try.
on 9 November 2014
I was torn between giving this a 3 or a 4 and decided 3 reflected the fact that I probably wouldn't read it again - but I'd give the author another go. The first quarter of the book I really enjoyed and there was the odd bit of quirky humour - but then it all got a bit far fetched. On the plus side it jogs along at a fair pace and I liked the 2 main characters.

I think it's a bit wrong to call it a thriller as it's too light in places. It's more about a guy with incredible bad luck who gets sucked into the world of organised crime and spends his time trying to outsmart the killers after him (and that's where it gets a bit far fetched, with a stock market trader thinking he can beat the mob). But it wasn't bad.
on 3 February 2015
Downloaded free on kindle. I thought I was going to struggle with this as I prefer police/detective crime thrillers, and this was set in the world of finance, but in truth I was pleasantly surprised.
Matt Seatle is a stockbroker who has relocated to Miami following the tragic death of his family. Setting up in private practice as a stock broker he becomes entangled in a financial mess following the death of one of his clients, a mess which threatens his livelihood. Things become worse when the client turns out to have ripped off the local mob to make his investments, and the mob want their money back, whatever the cost.
In an attempt to clear his name, and save his life, Matt enlists the help of private detective Tory Wright, and together they work to free him from his predicament. What follows is a good, pacy thriller, with plenty of twists and turns, as the pressure on Matt is ratcheted up.
I have read some reviews that say that the plot is unrealistic, that the financial side of the story don't add up, but come on guys this is fiction. For me to be able to enjoy a book I need to invest in the characters and be able to lose myself in the story, both of which I managed with Blindsided.
There are one or two incosistencies and faux pas, the worst for me as a seasoned thriller reader was the protagonist sending his daughter to the hospital nto finish off a witness, who was then overpowered and found to be carrying ID in her bag linking her directly to the main protagonist, but overall these did not detract from my enjoyment of the story.
All in all a thoroughly enjoyable book, which I would recommend to others.
on 21 March 2013
An absolute brilliant read. A fast paced story with twists and turns. Cannot wait to read more Jay Giles Stories.
on 13 May 2014
Very different and imaginative book. Well written, good dialogue and an all round winner. Well paced and original. Although a thriller, this book doesn't have the usual type of hero but instead has a mild mannered educated broker who doesn't carry a gun, and certainly is no hard man. Certainly recommend this for a change and a different slant on goody versus baddie. Look forward to more books by this author!
on 5 November 2015
Matt Seattle is a stock broker who is doing all right for himself and has a dedicated client list, but one day one of his most loyal clients misses his appointment…which he has never done before. Seattle tries to find his client, Joe Jesso, but is saddened to find that he has died of ‘natural causes’…although he has his suspicions as Jesso recently married a younger women who seems to have a ‘black widow’ history.

When Seattle receives a call from Jesso’s lawyer, he finds that all of Joe’s money has been left to him in his will; which was a massive shock to him. But, it’s not long until the recently widowed woman comes sniffing around stating that the money was left to Matt incorrectly and he believes it’s time to hire a private investigator to find out exactly what his client/friend Joe was really up to and why he left everything to him in his will.

As the private investigator digs in to Joe’s past, she finds a history of embezzlement involving a drug cartel which starts to threaten Matt’s business along with the The National Association of Security Dealers trying to take away his broker license; Matt is on edge as to whether or not his company will survive the mess his client has left him in.

What did I think?

I got this eBook when it was free on the Amazon Kindle store (and at the time of writing this, it is still free!), I wasn’t expecting too much from it as the cover looked basic and I’ve not had much luck with free eBooks from Amazon before; however Jay Giles has surprised me with Blindsided.

It was a good read but unfortunately I felt that the whole story plot of Blindsided was covered on the book description. Giles could have easily kept the cartel and NASD’s involvement out of the blurb and kept it for a twist factor to the book. That’s not saying that there wasn’t a twist in the book…but it was an obvious one as you read on so I guess you could say that there wasn’t one?

I think that Giles did a good job at keeping you interested, he managed to keep me reading until the end and I think this was because he kept me interested in the characters story and not necessarily the books; this is why it has a three heart review and not a four.

I wouldn’t be in a hurry to read the book again, but that’s not to say I wouldn’t read other books by Giles.