Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£14.99+ £1.26 shipping

on 9 August 2000
Like many people, I probably only know of this band, through their cover of the track Elvis made famous, "Can't Help Falling in Love". I'm really pleased to say that is not their only highpoint! The whole album is enjoyable in the same vein, and I particularly like Alison Marrs voice, really unique. The sleevenotes with so much information on the band is a nice touch too, it's the sort of band you feel you want to know about! I recommend this record, if you liked the song on the film, "Some Kind of Wonderful", you're not going to hate the rest of the record either!
on 25 January 2004
Back in 1986 I purchased two 12" singles "Can't Help Falling.." and "Belle of Belfast City" by this little known band which fast became favourites. It never occurred to me that they made an album as they had very little success in the charts. Was really surprised to then come across them on Amazon. What a great album!! Alison Marr has one of the most unconventional voices ever, but it works so well with the material they produced. Most people will recognise the fantastic version of "Can't Help Falling In Love" from the climax of the film "Some Kind Of Wonderful" If you liked that you won't be disappointed with the rest of this album. I absolutley love "Get Me To The World On Time" and I was bowled over to find the wonderful instrumental B side "Calliope House" on here, the penny whistle has never been so cool!! If there was any justice in the music world these guys would have been massive, but then again this is one of the best kept secrets in my CD collection, and everyone who hears it wants to know more of this fantasic group. CD includes 12" versions of their three singles and the sleeve notes give some nice information on the band and what became of them. GREAT GROUP, GREAT SONGS, SHAME THEY DON'T MAKE THEM LIKE THIS ANYMORE.
on 6 October 2001
Some songs should never be covered. (It was only after Rolf Harris spent four years promoting animal welfare on the BBC that I was able to forgive him for that awful version of Stairway to Heaven.) 'Hey Joe' should have never been included - it's a poor track, and to be honest, an insult to the greatest guitarist who ever lived.
Having got that rant out of the way, this is an exceptionally good Folk Rock Album.
Alison Marr's voice is, as they say, unusual, - If Lesley Garrett is like a Major League Baseball Player, then I guess Alison Marr is your local Dwyall-Flonking contestant,
But that just adds character to the album!... The star track has to be the twelve inch version of 'Belle of Belfast City' this easily rates alongside the best of the Pogues or Steelye Span. If you are genuinely into Folk Rock, then buy this album... You will not be disappointed... I only wish that they had done more like this...
(If it had not been for 'Hey Joe' I would have awarded this five stars).
on 28 July 2000
This is a very good record of a very interesting Irish group. They mix together rock and role with folk music. The most interesting song here is the Irish folk version to Elvis song " I can not help falling involve with you " which is very special and original. The mix to this version is nice to but the mechanic sound in it is spoiling the joy of the pure folk version. They also have a version to the song " the bell of Belfast city". (which I can say she is a pretty ) This is a wonderful cd. That gives you a lot of joy to listen
on 30 September 2012
Open the windows and slap it in the cd player and just blast it and before long you ll be doing a few Irish jigs around the kitchen. Alot of the songs on this will have you throwing a few shapes. I love listening to it in car, puts me in great form. Only thing for me is that i feel not enough songs on it with ba ba bing. some slow enough but that is matter of personal opinion. You ll love first song and find yourself playing it over and over again, while the children are ringing for the men in the white coats.... get listening and sing along at full voice.
on 9 May 2014
If you enjoy slightly rocked-up English folk music, then you'll enjoy this cd. The tunes are well-played, with a lilting feel. As other comments say, Alison Marr's voice is really exceptional, and a pleasure to listen to.
on 25 March 2004
By chance I came across Can't Help Falling In Love With You that this band recorded, and immediately went on a hunt to find out who sang it. This internet search eventually lead me to this album, and purchased it from Amazon right away.
I was pleasantly surprised and glad that I came across this album. I won't say this is the best album ever or it's the best thing there is, but in its own right this is a wonderful piece of work. The main vocal Alison has a bizarre voice yet I found it addictive and drew me into her songs. To be frank, their choice of songs are crazy at times and would fall into "silly" category, yet there is a magic in the way everything is put together. I very much enjoyed it and while it isn't something I would play all the time, I'm glad I encountered this band. Worth every penny.
It's not every day that I come across an album like this and like it. Somehow the songs seem to go beyond the sound waves for me. I'm sure some people won't like it and lable this "silly". But to those who can feel the magic, it's a treat.
on 14 January 2013
I have been looking for this album, on and off, for many years because of the big hit 'I Can't Help Falling in Love With You'. When I saw it available new on Amazon, I was overjoyed! I received it very quickly, as usual from Amazon, quickly unpacked it and put it in the CD player. And was very slightly disappointed... it didn't sound quite as good as I remembered! Don't get me wrong, it's still a very good track and very enjoyable, but it sounded better in my mind. The rest of the album is OK, but there aren't any other really stand-out tracks. I'm glad I got it as it's put my mind straight that I finally own this album, but is it worth the price? I have to say, only if you feel you MUST have it!
on 6 October 2001
(If it had not been for 'Hey Joe' I would have awarded this five stars).
on 30 April 2015
Uplifting album, a mix of traditional Irish and pop tracks given a great twist. The lead singer has a unique voice and what a whistle player she is!
Love this album.