I received this for Christmas after looking long and hard at the Android and iPad alternatives. My wife has an iPad, so I was aware of the capabilities of the Apple product, but I could not justify spending £400 when this alternative was available for just over £200. I am so glad I did, because this little tablet is a beauty.
- The 7" screen is perfect for me. Not too big to make it bulky, so easy to take away on trips.
- The screen quality is superb, easily better than the iPad. HD video playback is excellent.
- The OS is fantastic, I really do not understand why anyone would pick iOS or Android over this product (with the exception of the Cons below) because it is so smooth and fast. The swipe gestures become second nature. It does proper multitasking on the fly and it is genuinely the best OS I have used on any mobile device. I also own an iPod touch and Samsung Galaxy S mobile phone, neither of which can compare.
- Great build quality. It feels heavier than expected, but it is clearly a quality product.
- The standard apps are of good quality. I particularly like the YouTube app, which is the best I have used.
- Good sound quality, both through the onboard speakers and headphones.
- Blackberry software for Mac worked perfectly for back-ups and syncing with iTunes.
- Built in cameras are of good quality, video is also much better than I expected.
- The built in web browser is great. It is the closest to a genuine desktop browser I have seen with access to Flash sites available.
- Lack of native email/calendar app at the moment, though this is due to be sorted with the release of OS2 in February. Gmail works perfectly through the browser.
- The number of Apps available is smaller than Android or Apple, however that is not to say it is a problem. Those that are available are usually of good quality and I have not had an issuing finding what I need or a suitable alternative. This will also improve with Android compatibility arriving in OS2.
- Battery life is good rather than great - 7 hours is about the norm with wi-fi turned on.
- The on/off switch could be better designed.
Overall, I am really pleased with this tablet. Blackberry has received some poor press recently, which I believe is undeserved. This is a quality product and is much better than some reviews on the early software gives it credit.
Buy this and you will not regret it.