on 19 October 2011
I compared the 18v and 12v of this cleaner in a leading electrical store - the 18v is a completely different beast to the 12v. It's like comparing your dyson to those horrible dustbusters of old that didn't really pick up.

I did notice the problem that Which Magazine and several reviewers on here noted - the flap that was supposed to stop the dirt you've picked up from falling out of the cylinder and back down the spout is too weakly sprung - but I thought I could live with that given its immense suction power.

However, I can confirm that the model Amazon sent me a couple of weeks ago has had the offending flap design modified by B&D (as B&D told Which Magazine they would do and it works perfectly.

Highly recommended.
33 comments| 336 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 February 2012
Very good and useful. A little noisy but good suction and battery life excellent. Would have been nice to have a wall mounting
on 11 October 2011
This has to be the grand daddy of all dustbusters! Very powerful and therefore very effective. I feel that I am winning the "dog hair" battle at last!
22 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 November 2011
This is fantastic handheld vacuum.
I used to have a dyson handheld and at that time I thought that dyson is the best.
But I was wrong!
This Black and Decker 18v model is way better than dyson, no doubts.
It is very small!!!
It is very powerfull!!!
It is compact!!!
It is comfortable to hold!!!
It is easy to use!!!
It is easy to empty a dust container!!!
Its battery lasts longer!!!
You can keep it on a charger if you want to without worrying of damaging the battery!!!
It is very robust!!!
Two hidden attachment within the machine!!!
Filter will have to be cleaned quite often.
This is simply the best handheld vacuum these days - on my opinion of cause!!!
Very much recommended!!!

Update: I have been using this one for more than a year now and still very happy with it. The only thing is - filter has to be cleaned quite often. But no big deal as it is very easy to do.
Still very recommended!!!
22 comments| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 November 2011
I've previously owned two dustbusters over the years and they've been OK for picking up dust, but not much else. However, this model is in a completely different league! Forget dust... this is a real dirtbuster! It has fast become the most useful gadget in my home. In the kitchen it's great for getting rid of all those seeds that go every everywhere when you buy a new loaf of bread. In the bathroom it make's short work of the dust, fluff and hair that accumulates whenever your back is turned. It happily copes with stairs and saves having to lug a full-sized vacuum cleaner up and down. And the pivot head will get into just about any nook or cranny that you have. Suffice to say I use mine several times a day. Can't recommend it highly enough.
0Comment| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 November 2011
Very pleased with this. Very powerful. Slightly heavier than I expected and noisier, but this is more than offset by the flexibility and suction. Nice design too.
on 2 March 2012
Excellent product, far better than the usual crumb suckers. Very nimble and great power and duration, enough to clean a car VERY WELL! Very impressed.
on 26 January 2013
My husband really liked the look of the 18v Dirtbuster Pivot from Black and Decker, with three young children we very often have broken biscuits and chrisps skattered around the house and this looked ideal for this kind of job.
So for Christmas 2011 I bought him the 18v one.
On the face of it, the cleaner was perfect for the job, but claims of 10 minutes plus running time were found to be greatly exagerated. Right from the start, it was only effective for six to seven minutes and it took 12 hours to fully recharge. Not what we were hoping for.
Never the less, it did the job perfectly, all be it for shorter than hoped periods.
Now coming up to present date, things have got worse. The cleaner has been on charge for 13 months now, it is used every day until almost flat, but now it only works effectively for three minutes before loosing so much suction that it useless.
I would seriously not recommend buying the 18v Dirtbuster under any circumstances, it has been an expensive waste of money and a big dissapointment. I just wish I'd taken it back the first day I used it.

To summarise: The Dirtbuster Pivot 18V from Black and Decker is expensive to buy, performs badly, takes a long time to recharge and has dergaded to scrap within 13 months of purchase.
44 comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 October 2011
I wouldn't normally write a review for such a mundane item as a hand held vacuum cleaner, but this Black and Decker has really really impressed me. Its is supremely designed, everything works well and easily and it is far more powerful that its compact size would indicate. The pivoting head and retracting brush being particularly useful features. Emptying and cleaning are simplicity itself. On top of all that its a breeze to empty and clean. Most surprising though is that it looks good enough to put on display. Previous hand held vacuum cleaners I've owned have lived in cupboards or under the stairs. This Black and Decker has pride and place on a kitchen shelf always available for instant use.
on 30 October 2011
An excellent machine does a good job on dog hairs in camper ,charge lasts about 12 mins,it is a little heavy to hold but ok for a short time.A powerful machine for the money amazon price is hard to beat,glen