Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 December 2012
The story took quite a bit of getting used to - and I struggled with understanding what was really going on. However - it did all click into place with a bit of perseverance on my part.

We have an adventurer - Cal Jardine - who is given the mission of proving Hitler's intention to invade Czechoslovakia by visiting the country and stealing some documents; not the most invigorating of story lines but it did become very interesting as Cal makes his slow progress through the country and in his misssion. He is accompanied by an American journalist called Corrie - who wise-cracks a little too much for my liking and at times took on an almost Raymond Chandler tone.

There was some silly dialoge from one of the Czech agents who spoke in English and consistenty reversed all of his tenses - got irritating after a while. I did find the writing a little clunky and some sentences and passages hard to understand - I had to re-read some of these a few times.

The story had three elements and settings and we traverse between the doings of three individuals: our hero Cal - the urbane Spy Peter Lanchester and the grim and humourless Northern Irish Security agent MCevitt - which is a good literary devise which added pace and interest.

Overall - a good read - and I learned a great deal about the 2nd World War and the Nazi psyche.
on 18 January 2013
A very good absorbing read made all the more enjoyable as I have lived through that era..........I was only a child of course but .i can recollect the feelings and atmosphere of the times.ABitter field.......