VINE VOICEon 17 March 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have many years experience with anti-virus software packages.

I removed my previous anti-virus software and rebooted the computer.

I suspect some of the negative reviews here are because others failed to do this.
For this installation, I selected the custom settings as I like to know where the files are going.

I followed the instructions and when asked if I wanted to download the latest version I clicked OK. The download was fairly quick but the installation was quite slow. The installation procedure included a scan via the internet to ensure there were no viruses lurking to prevent the installation. A nice feature.

Once installed I allowed the software to complete a full system scan. I knew this would take a long time but I left the computer running overnight.

Since it was installed, I have monitored my machines resources. BitDefender uses no more, no less than the other market leaders.

I think it is overpriced and it can be beaten by the competition or even the free AVG, Adaware and Spybot software.
VINE VOICEon 21 June 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having used a different Internet Security program for several years now, I decided to give BitDefender Internet Security a go as I am often asked by colleagues "What's a good antivirus program to get?" Generally the trial versions they get with their new PCs run out after three months (or 30 days!) and the subscription service is more expensive than they realise.

I felt it was better to get more experience on a few programs so I could let them choose what was best for their needs or their pockets.

BitDefender can be found regularly in the top five of the top ten recommended Internet Security applications.

The interface has been tweaked slightly for 2011 from the 2010 version but apart from that it still does exactly what it's best at.

If your system hasn't been 'cleaned up' for a while and you've had a lot of programs installed and then uninstalled, you might find it slow until you run some housekeeping software to thin the registry entries.

And if you own an older dual core system less than 2GHz and 1GB of RAM or less, it may impact your other software as it stays resident in background processes.

If your system can take more memory, it would be a good idea to install it to help the system spread out a bit.

BitDefender IS 2011 will happily work in the background to protect you and your family while you are on-line from phishing and other cyber attacks.

If you have a child at boarding school and their laptop has access to the Internet, this will help protect them from on-line attacks.

When a child sees a message that their computer is infected, they just click OK to have it all fixed without realising what they are actually doing - and some adults do it as well.

It's not fancy, it's not in your face (except for pop-up alert messages) but it works.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 February 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
While this software boasts a complete range of security and clean-up features, it just isn't up to the job of protecting your computer. From my experience of this product, too much effort has been put into the product design, and not anywhere near enough into the functionality.

One of the more obvious experiences I had of this was the option of three different types of home page. But this was no use to me because the software kept on crashing my computer. Furthermore, even if it didn't keep freezing up, why would anyone need three home pages?!

On the up side, it does have regular product updates, which are set to occur every hour by default. Idle scanning will also start when you aren't using your computer, but then this is a very common feature of most internet security packages. With regards to the tune-up utilities, I was quite pleased to see that they weren't just links to windows products, like defragmenter etc. I also found the blue and red box was quite eye catching. You can probably tell by now I'm struggling to come up with more things I like about it...

So what do I hate about this product? For a start, the product was painfully slow to install, taking over an hour to complete - although it did run a system scan during that time. Any other product I've used has completed in under 10 minutes! I've already mentioned the constant crashing, and the only way to rectify the situation is to unplug the computer and try again - just hope you don't have any important unsaved documents at the time it happens.

Even though I'd pretty much made up my mind by this point that I wasn't going to use this product any further, I decided to give it another chance to redeem itself though finding some malware on my computer. So I started a scan, went away, and when I returned in half an hour, I was stunned to find it saying...43 hours remaining. Surely that must be the longest virus scan ever?! While it did eventually report that there was only 9 hours remaining, there was no way I was going to leave my computer on that long just for a virus scan. So you probably know what I did...yes, after uninstalling, my computer was back to its normal habits.

I guess therefore, that this product could be summed up in one word...avoid.
on 21 April 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have read a number of the reviews on this product and it's fair to say they aren't all that favourable! When I first picked up my PC I am sure I was not alone in having to delete off the myriad of software that came preloaded promising to protected my PC from every known virus, Trojan horse and I am sure performances by Take That but I ignored them all and went with the free AVG programme. That said I thought I could do with some beefed up security and went for this. The first thing to say is that this is a CD based programme and my PC doesn't have a CD drive - bear this in mind! So after forking out for an external drive and gave this ago. It wasn't too bad to install, not the most intuitive but not the worst either so that was fine. The issue I have though is that is exactly what this product is - fine. I can't notice any discernable difference between this product and the one I use for free and in fact I have moved back to AVG.

From this review I am sure you can see what I would recommend but if you want the peace of mind of having paid for a product (and any product support this entails) then this isn't a bad option.
VINE VOICEon 13 January 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've had problems with this software, so I really cannot recommend it. Although it installed perfectly, after installation, I found that it attempted to block access to many of the websites I use regualarly. Add to this the way it slowed down almost every aspect of my PCs operation, coupled with constant error messages and warnings about site security, and I soon lost patience with it. Disabling the majority of the applications solved the problems, but whats the point of having this software if you have to disable it to get your PC running properly? In the end I decided to deinstall and revert back to Norton 360. No Internet Security package is perfect, but in my case at least, BitDefender Total Security fell way short of the mark. I have had similar problems with BitDefender Internet Security too. Maybe it's just my PC, but as the deinstall solved the problems I am not convinced of that. So, going purely on my own experience, not recommended.
VINE VOICEon 9 February 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I switched to BitDefender after using Panda for three years. Panda stops spam e-mails well enough, but seemed totally ineffective against spyware and, in the last year, I've lost confidence in its ability to defend my computer.

The installation of BitDefender is easy enough. When I put the CD in, it told me there was an update of the software available and I chose to update. Mistake! After 20 minutes downloading some error occurred and the installation stalled. I restarted Windows and chose to install from the disk this time around. That went smoothly (taking another 20 minutes or so) and, once installed, the software updated without problem.

I immediately ran a full system scan which took about 75 minutes but didn't seem to slow down the computer much so I was able to get on with other things at the same time. The scan picked up the spyware which I already knew was on the computer so I am pleased about its efficiency so far. I have its control panel on "Easy" view and find it clear and simple to use.

The computer takes about the same time as before to boot-up on switching on - so no gain or loss there.
I also ran the PC Tune Up tool which only takes a few minutes and deletes cookies, temporary files, and other old stuff (rather like Windows Disk Clean Up). I can't see a real difference in system performance but it's good to get rid of the old stuff from time to time.

Update: At 12 months I have decided not to renew Bitdefender. Not because I think it has done a poor job - I am happy with its performance (apart from a few minor niggles) - but because of the renewal pricing policy: rather than try and keep users loyal they seem to want to squeeze you for as much as they can get.

Performance wise Bitdefender has kept my computer safe (though, of course, I cannot say it has done better in this respect than the alternatives). I do find the main menu a bit confusing but this seems to have been fixed for the 2012. Overall it is a very good programme and does its job well. If it wasn't for the ridiculous renewal pricing I would have stayed with Bitdefender.
on 5 July 2012
Short and sweet. This product ensures safe and easy running of your computer. I had an issue with my PC before i purchased this which led me to but a security software product.

After installing which was a breeze, i ran a scan and almost 12 months later my PC hasnt had a problem since. Looks like i need to renew soon.

Well, hope this puts ppl at ease with whether to go with this product. I am computer savvy and so wanted to spend my money on the right product. So i went with bitdefender from what i heard about and the scores i saw given for this software. It has held up to all of this. You cant go much better than BitDefender i say.

Good price i thought and brings the security any computer user would crave for.
VINE VOICEon 15 August 2011
If any of you have used BitDefender before, it's basically the same, just a little shinier. (I've used last years version).
And if you've used it before, you'll know about the annoying pop-ups, telling what the Defender has just done, etc.
These don't slow any software down, that I've noticed... it's just irritating. (These pop-ups don't occur when your playing games, which would infuriate me!) It's pretty slow at scanning, but it does get the job done. I think it's a good package, but it's main problem is it's established rivals; Norton and Vipre are fantastic bits of kit, and I can't think of a reason to change sides. Still, if you need some software, and have a limited budget, you could do far worse than buy this.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This was easy to install and didn't seem to slow my PC down - the only negative I have to say about it is the irritation factor of the constant popups.

I was using AVG before and this doesn't seem any better or worse than that, but AVG is free and this isn't. Add Regscrub, AdAware and Spybot and you've got a better defence than this provides.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After 1 day I have uninstalled this product as the half screen pop ups to tell me it was scanning were irritable but worse was my network kept failing by the bitdefender firewall reverting to public and allowing no access. If this is my fault caused by incorrect settings then I think the programmers should make it much more user friendly. Uninstallation was not straitforward as lots of files were left behing and it was a devil of a job to remove them even with administrator rights. Down grade to 1 star.

The program started the install then loaded the updates (about 4 minutes) then the quick check started. It did not find any malware (a tribute to AVG free?? my previous antivirus) but also did not spot AVG as another security application. I cancelled the install, uninstalled AVG and started again. The registration and account set up were easily done and I opted for easy set up. But then I got error messages saying that Orange toolbar was not compatible with my browser and to upgrade to IE8. I am using IE8 and I don't have an Orange tool bar. Lots of meaningless items on screen and redirected to Microsoft's website to install IE8. Lots of messing.
I was hoping for a hassle free, minimum user intervention install but now I was concerned. Next came select network connection and I selected Home. That seemed to be it and an icon was put on the desktop. Double clicking the icon gave a clumsy graphic presentation.
Finally the dashboard was displayed and there were many options but I chose the first one "vulnerability wizard" which informed me that I needed 3 updates which did not download after 30 minutes, no flashing lights on router and no progress bar so I quit and downloaded them using windows update - no problem.
I then tried the performance optimiser tool and this led to a list of applications/processes with the option to close them with no help about what should or could be safely closed. A lot of these tools are already available in windows.
Then I looked at the dashboard again and was informed that real time protection was not enabled and to click the fix button which did not work. A reboot cured this. There were numerous other little glitches but too numerous to document.
Lastly my home network went. My desktop computer changed from Homegroup to Workgroup and could not see my laptop or printer. My laptop could not see my desktop and my network has changed to a public one. This was overcome by changing the firewall settings and my network back to a home network and setting up a new Homegroup.
Finally I tried the eicar virus tests files and bitdefender coped well. There does not seem to be any system slow down. However most of my confidence in this product has now gone.