on 8 April 2011
Absolutely love these the colour is great, only 1 piece of advice go a size smaller as they come quite large I also got the narrow and I would consider myself to have quite wide feet.
on 19 May 2012
They really are lovely and so comfortable.

But a few words of advice, after having read a lot of comments about buying the narrow size instead and about the sizings in general in the reviews section. I went to the official Birkenstock UK website and under the tab "shop online" there is a sizing guide, and for women who are a size 7 in UK sizing, they state that you should purchase a size 40 in European sizing and the standard width. Unless you have narrow feet. Mine aren't especially wide or narrow and the regular width is perfect for me.

Usually I'm a 41 in European sizing. But I thought I'd order the size 40 and return it, if it didn't fit well. As that was the recommendation on their website. I have to say it fits perfectly.

I read the information on narrow or regular as well and this is what it said:

"Regular or narrow?
Even with foot health sandals the right fit is important. Therefore the Original Birkenstock foot bed is manufactured in two widths. When purchasing your Birkenstock sandals, ensure that you get the correct width.
Birkenstocks are designed to be roomy. When you first try your sandals they might feel big. Most people are fine with a regular fitting, but if your foot moves side to side when you walk and adjusting the strap does not help, a narrow fitting may be more suitable. If you want to check the width of a pair of Birkenstocks you already own, you can tell by inspecting the foot bed where there is a small image of a foot - if it's filled in the shoe is a narrow fitting, and if it's an outline it's regular.
Also all stock codes for narrow fittings end with 3"

So well worth looking at the sizing guides carefully before ordering in my opinion. Do not use the sizing info on Amazon as your only guide before buying, unless you want to run the risk of having to return them again. As on Amazon it said I should purchase the 41 not 40. Perhaps Birkenstock are just a little different than usual shoe sizes :)
0Comment103 of 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 December 2009
These sandals are excellent, extremely comfortable, the next best thing to being Barefoot, so my wife tells me.
on 22 May 2012
UPDATE ON SIZING: After returning the shoes, I decided to gamble again and bought a smaller size and the narrow fitting from the same seller on Amazon. Whilst they are not as good a fit as previous Madrid Birkenstocks I have bought (before the sizing changes) they are a much better fit and I've kept them. I've ended up with a size 38 which is 1-1.5 sizes smaller than my usual shoe size!

*****

I read lots of reviews and spent a while deliberating whether to order regular or narrow. In the end I ordered 39 regular and they are HUGE. At least 1.5cm too long and far too wide. I know the Birkenstock website says they should be loose fitting, but these were ridiculous.
Have just printed an Amazon returns label and it's Freepost return, so at least I haven't lost anything.
Now that they have changed the sizes/widths, I think I will try and find a Birkenstock shop to buy my next pair before reverting to online shopping again.
on 22 February 2013
I'm very happy to have found these on Amazon because previously I bought them from Germany and I chose the wrong size and they were far too big. There was no returns policy and the postage would have been very expensive even if there had been. I was very happy with the fast delivery and I felt reassured if anything were wrong with them I would be looked after. They were perfectly fine and the right size. As with all Birkenstocks I have always had to wear them about the house until I have broken them in. So they should be absolutely fine for my holidays. I have very wide feet and they can swell in the heat so Birkenstocks are very comfortable for me. If you have never had Birkenstocks before the Normal Fitting is (M) very spacious for wide feet and the Narrow Fitting (N) is obviously for narrower feet. The way the size is worded is M or N. Also be careful if you want leather tops as they can stain your feet but I would rather have that than the manmade material because I have had them before, (another mistake) and do not like manmade material.Thank you I will be a return customer.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 June 2014
I already have several pairs of Birkenstocks so ordered my regular size 41 M, turns out that is a UK 8. On Amazon in general sizing is a bit confusing for these as width not always indicated. I love Birkenstocks, usually buy the ones with toe post but those are also a great fit and very comfortable. When the sun shine and I put them on it is like finding old friends again.
on 23 May 2014
Absolutely perfect.. I am a size 5 they fit perfectly love them.. Wouldn't hesitate to buy some more but hopefully wont have to..
on 22 September 2013
well-made and feels good on my feet. very good buy at £21. 4 stars because I have had to return the first pair at size 36.Im a UK 5 and the size guide showed me that I'm 36 for Unisex clogs but when it arrived it was too small, had it returned. The replacement came the following day and the process was swift and easy. Well done Amazon!
on 10 June 2013
really lovely shoe fab colour, soooooo comfy, now on my 10th pair of birkenstocks, I cant rate them high enough.
on 20 July 2014
i wanted a new pair to replace my beloved green pair same style. so ordered size 3-3.5 which fit perfectly. they were delivered promptly. i picked them as they have an unusual colour which has been commented on by many people. i also did not know that you could get the them repaired but am not sure if this is in the uk or not.