Size: 7.5 UK|Colour: Black|Change

For the record: I confess to being a huge fan of Birkenstocks, this pair of Rios being my fifth pair to date. The reason why I and so many people love wearing these sandals is that they're so divinely comfortable - they include integral arch support, a heel cup and toe grip and once you've got used to them nothing else could ever feel as lightweight, supportive and comfortable than this particular brand of footwear.

The reason why I chose the `Rio' style above my usual choices of the one strap `Madrid' and the toe post `Mayari' was that I commute to work and the Madrid style felt a bit flappy on my feet and I had visions of them disappearing into the huge gap between the platform and the train! This style resembles a Madrid from the front but has the added instep strap to really attach the sandal to your foot. I've worn them around the house with socks(!) to get used to them and I can't wait for the weather to warm up so that I can go out and about in them.

Size wise, I usually take a size 9(EU 43) and I'm a regular width size 42 in Birkenstocks. I'm currently trying to get my mother a pair of these and am looking forward to Amazon receiving some additional stock as they cannot be beaten on price and free delivery - hurrah!
on 10 August 2010
Size came back as expected and fit perfectly, and leather straps are very comfortable and don't rub. What I was surprised about was the inflexibility of the sole... nothing rubbed but its very stiff and at the end of a couple of hours wearing them my feet and legs were aching- I couldn't wait to get them off and be able to curl up my toes again! I always wear flat shoes, though normally something with a flexible sole, but was still surprised that this was a problemMaybe just me as everyone else finds them so comfy and they are a good bargain on Amazon.
on 9 November 2014
I ordered these for a three week trip away to Hong Kong which i knew would require a lot of walking around and these Birkenstocks seemed to have great reviews and a good reputation for comfort. Although not my usual style I decided to purchase a pair off amazon after reading all the positive reviews and I got them just in time before going away. At first I thought that they needed to be worn into as the shoe was quite stiff but I figured it was perhaps the narrow fit of the shoe I wasn't used to as it was touching the tips of my toes as I walked. Bearing in mind I also tried on a pair of Birkenstocks once before in their store in London (not a narrow fit) but it seemed ok to walk in but looked a bit big on my feet. The felt around the buckles of the shoe were comfortable enough but after wearing them in for two weeks I couldn't figure out why the shoes were not moulding to my feet as I expected. When taking off my sandals to inspect them I could tap on the sole and it would be rock solid like walking on stiff cardboard. I have seen other Birkenstocks before and plenty of people who were wearing them in the city and they have all got soles that have been worn into but mine have gone completely stiff. I did question if I had bought pair of fake shoes at one point but if I had they are very convincing.
review image
on 9 September 2013
I love these, I have several pairs of Birkenstocks and bought these to ruin on holiday as they were cheaper than my other ones (Yara) and I was going to be doing some miles through souks and sand-dunes. As it turned out, they looked so fab with my about town clothes that they stayed in the UK and have been my sandals of choice all summer (my Yara's have hardly seen the light of day!) Many people suggest going a size down and I have found this with the Birkenstock fit, but I read someones review about the fit on here and they suggested that if you find the size you normally wear and choose a narrow fit, I did this and found that they allow for foot movement without catching your toes on the rim (important with this style as there is no toe post to keep your foot anchored back onto the foot-bed and the ankle strap on any Birkenstock shouldn't be fastened tightly).
Most Birkenstocks need a couple of miles to wear in the foot-bed, if you find them initially uncomfortable persevere its worth it.
THESE WOULD HAVE GOT 5* but one of my sandals must have had dodgy adhesive to stick it together as they started to come apart after the third outing - I stuck it back together myself (no dramas) but its a shame as I haven't had problems with any other of my 5 pairs of Birkenstock s.
on 11 January 2015
I've worn Birkies for years and wouldn't be without them. I have several pairs. They do tend to be quite wide, but the narrow fitting is perfect for me as I have very slim feet. If you've not worn them before, it's best to try a pair on in a shop to find your perfect size, then order them on the internet where you can surf for the cheapest deal (normally Amazon). Some styles can look rather "heavy" on the foot, especially if you have slim feet, so it is probably best to go for those with straps which are less wide. Well recommended footwear.
on 12 April 2012
I wanted to buy these while I was in the USA last summer but they were way to expensive!

I am glad I found them on Amazon at the amazing price of 30 something pounds! Such a bargain!

The sandals look really good and I love the ankle strap! I am a UK6 and ordered an EU39 which is the equivalent. I did order the narrow shoe though and it fits perfectly! My previous Birkenstocks (I have a pair of Mayari) are a UK5 (EU38) and normal width, but I find that the size 6 narrow Rios are a better fit!

Quick note: I did read a few reviews of people complaining that the sandals are very uncomfortable. I noticed this too - especially with my first pair. Not only they did not look elegant, but they also made my feet hurt.. I was very disappointed at first but I am glad that I insisted in wearing them (I had paid a small fortune for them after all)!
I think that these sandals need to 'mold' and take the natural shape of your feet. It is during this process that they are very uncomfortable but once this is over they are super! I do not take them off my feet these days!

Get them before their price goes up again..

Thank You Amazon for one more bargain!
on 20 May 2013
in the past I've had sandals by this manufacturer and rated them so highly, that I said to a friend "they're so comfortable that they are the only shoes you could nearly forget to take off when you go to bed!". I went for this model for the colour, didn't realise that the straps are not leather and that was very disappointing. They are ok, but notice that there is one buckle only on the ankle strap. On my feet (with slim ankles), I can't make the sandal fit properly - and so they are not 100% comfortable as I expected. I didn't fancy paying to return the product to Germany, forgot to check that I was buying from a UK company, oops!
on 2 March 2015
These were much too big so had to be returned which was very easily done just by printing off the return label and taking to the post office. I exchanged them for a smaller pair which arrived the next day and I am wearing them around the house to get used to them ready for my holiday. I am finding the smaller pair quite comfortable and am looking forward to the weather getting warmer so I can wear them outside. I did read other reviews about the size but couldn't bring myself to order a whole size smaller - it didn't make sense. However even the whole size smaller is roomy but with adaptable straps they fit comfortably.
on 29 December 2011
Great shoes as always with Birkenstocks but the "slim width" is in no way narrow in my view, I would say that the width is wider than the width of even a normal size foot.
on 14 August 2014
I have the Madrid sandals for around the home and garden use but wanted a back strap for walking further. From having the Madrid sandals I knew to buy a size 41 N (Narrow) when I am a size 42 or 42.5 (with a narrow width if available) in most other makes. I don't like the little cut out on the front strap so much but otherwise very happy with these. They are very comfortable for someone who has dodgy arches. (I usually wear orthotics in my shoes). Also happy to pay less for the birkoflor rather than having leather (even if that would be a little bit nicer).