- Paperback: 772 pages
- Publisher: Springer; 2007 edition (13 Feb. 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0387351337
- ISBN-13: 978-0387351339
- Product Dimensions: 21 x 4.4 x 27.9 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 2,280,414 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
The Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers Paperback – 13 Feb 2009
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the reviews:
"I pounced upon this substantial work by Hockey and his many colleagues when it arrived for review. … we find biographical notes on more than 1500 figures with some connection to astronomy and who were born before 1918 (the youngest is Gérard de Vaucouleurs.) … it’s a brave effort and one in which most astronomers today (especially the older ones!) will find plenty of interest … ." (David Stickland, The Observatory, Vol. 128, October, 2008)
"The Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers is a major reference work that should find a place in every public library. It contains biographies of the work and life of some 750 astronomers, born from Antiquity up to mid-1918, who have made a significant contribution to this oldest of all the sciences. … For professional astronomers and historians, and for the many members of the general public sharing an interest in astronomy The Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers will be a continuing source of information and pleasure." (Ken Pounds, Contemporary Physics, Vol. 50 (2), March-April, 2009)
“When I opened the package of the Encyclopedia I found two volumes containing information about 1500 individuals, who have either substantially contributed to the discipline of Astronomy from Antiquity to 1918 … . My inevitably biased selection left me with the enthusiastic feeling that these two volumes are, as expected, a must for libraries and scholars … . I do not suggest it as a book to leave on the table beside your bed, but as one to keep handy on your bookshelf.” (Giorgio G. C. Palumbo, Nuncius, Vol. XXV (1), 2010)
“The fact that this work is in two volumes tells you immediately that it is serious and pretty heavyweight! … The works and life of each astronomer is outlined and summarised and references are given … . If like me you are interested in those men and women who over the centuries have brought our particular science, our interest, our hobby to the point it is at today then these two well written and impeccably presented volumes will never gather dust on your book shelves.” (Dale Holt, Popular Astronomy, May-June, 2011)
From the Back Cover
The Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers is a unique and valuable resource for historians and astronomers alike. The two volumes include approximately 1550 biographical sketches on astronomers from antiquity to modern times. It is the collective work of about 400 authors edited by an editorial board of 9 historians and astronomers, and provides additional details on the nature of an entry and some summary statistics on the content of entries. This new reference provides biographical information on astronomers and cosmologists by utilizing contemporary historical scholarship.
Individual entries vary from 100 to 1500 words, including the likes of the superluminaries such as Newton and Einstein, as well as lesser-known astronomers like Galileo's acolyte, Mario Guiducci.
A comprehensive contributor index helps researchers to identify the authors of important scientific topics and treatises.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This is nonetheless a valuable and, in fact, unchallenged complication of astronomical history.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Science, Mathematics & Technology > Science
- Books > History > Other Historical Subjects > History of Science
- Books > Science & Nature > Astronomy & Cosmology > Astronomy > Theoretical & Mathematical Astronomy
- Books > Science & Nature > Astronomy & Cosmology > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Aeronautics & Aerospace
- Books > Science & Nature > History & Philosophy > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Applied Physics
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Physics
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Astronomy & Cosmology > Astronomy
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Astronomy & Cosmology > Theoretical Physics
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Physics