Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Mar 2008 15:15:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Mar 2008 15:17:13 GMT
Gwenllian says:
I bought it, full price, looked through it, like nothing I saw, disapproved of point of view, and binned it. I am NOT surprised it is now selling for 50% less. Am only surprised it is selling at all. If I had gone to a bookshop to buy it, would have left it on the shelf. As it is, I am twenty pounds poorer, and regretting it.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2008 14:23:50 GMT
jrhartley says:
I share your sentiments about the content but you really shouldn't have binned it. i don't think books should be binned, however bad they are - you could have just taken it down your charity shop and at least some good would have come out of it, even if it was only a few quid to cancer research or similar.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2008 22:19:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Mar 2008 22:22:24 GMT
Mags. says:
Gosh Gwenllian, you must be very resourceful to have found a shop selling it at full price. Several high street stores were promoting it at half price for weeks before it was released. Also, I'm sure your local Oxfam would have been delighted to receive it instead of you binning it. You obviously aren't short of money!
I have all of Delias books as well as many others, including Jamie, Hugh, Rowley Leigh. Jill Dupleix, Michel Roux etc and I think this one does just what the title says. Most/all of the ingredients can be replaced by fresh but whatever route you take you have useful, easy recipes as well as lots of food for thought.
I buy organic, free-range food but I've been extremely hard up in the past and I admire Delia for not pontificating and just leaving people to buy the best ingredients to suit their budgets. She must have known she'd be judged for her comments about this and it would have been much easier for her to dodge the issue of free-range etc.!
Finally, the sainted Jamie is one of the most hard-headed of the present breed of chef/businessmen and there are many food, kitchen and dining products to bear tesimony to that but,like the branded ingredients Delia lists, we don't have to buy them.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2008 01:27:00 GMT
jrhartley says:
I'm just bewildered how 5 people can think my suggestion not to bin a book but to give it to a charity shop is not a helpful suggestion. Obviously far too moralistic for most Delia fans I guess? weird. Imagine if I were to type something really controversial?

And I think we all realise that Jamie is in the pay of Sainsbury's - its not exactly a revelation when he appears on their ads, but at least he is actually going out and taking a stance, rather than trying to skirt around what are very important issues that everyone should have an opinion on, not just try to fence-sit.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2008 16:19:46 GMT
Tigger says:
well you are a very sad lady...you could have given it to someone that isn't such a snob.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2008 08:46:22 GMT
Squeakyis says:
Gwenllian - Either you work for the opposition or you have an axe to grind against Delia! This book is a rewrite of her original book of the same name and it is aimed at people like me who don't cook from scratch. Take a look at the packed ready meal shelves in the supermarkets - there are lots of us!!! We are put off cooking by people who look down their nose at us because we don't have the time (or the inclination) to spend 2 hours preparing a dish that our families sit down, devour in 5 minutes and disappear leaving us with a pile of washing up! Who'd want to be a domestic goddess? Seems like you're more of a domestic servant to me. I have bought the book, tried 3 recipes so far and will most definitely be doing more. Get real, if you want to slave over a hot stove good for you but I have a real life to get on with and I love Delia's book!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2008 16:05:24 GMT
Smiffy P says:
What a strange and short-sighted way to view "cooking from scratch." Feeding your family on high-salt, high-sugar, additive-laden, ready meals is just an expensive and lazy way of giving kids a poor diet! Home-cooked food doesn't have to take 2 hours to prepare and ever heard of a dishwasher?
Regarding Delia's book - I have always been a fan of her work and her programmes have inspired me to cook. However, I am not convinced that the lazy ready-meal brigade would bother to use any recipe book. Presumably the keen cooks would not be interested either?
This is one book I certainly won't buy, but good luck to Delia - I hope she proves me wrong!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2008 16:21:43 GMT
jrhartley says:
I think this "2 hours to cook something from scratch" is a perfect example of the post-rationalised justification to the 'i'm so busy' argument and the defendants of this book. I cook 'from scratch' whenever I possibly can and I don't think, over the past few years I've more than once or twice had to spend more than 30-45 minutes preparing a decent meal. Obviously there can be time in the oven - maybe up to 90 minutes for a good stew, but that's hardly requiring me to supervise it throughout. I think the times I have consecrated 3-4 hours cooking something its been for between 10 and 15 people and 4 courses. I think some people really need to try downloading some free recipes from the BBC food or any of the supermarket websites - they all have time guidelines, you can choose something that takes between 15-30 minutes if you're pressed for time. it will be using fresh ingredients too. No need to buy this book and hopefully it might serve to destroy this absolutely absurd myth engrained in the minds of the 'busy' people that cooking takes 2 hours min. Have a look www.bbc.co.uk/food it'll cost your nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2008 18:23:55 BDT
Diane says:
Squeakyis, the last time I spent two hours preparing a meal was xmas day,and to feed 14 people. If it takes you two hours to prepare something mid week for your family then you must be doing something wrong. Bit worried about your washing up too. Er, try using less dishes, maybe?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 May 2008 19:52:23 BDT
Lucy says:
We shouldn't have this attitude to food asif it's an inconvenience, something to do as quick & cheaply as we can only because we have to. If we enjoy eating as much as I think we do (judging by the UK being one the fattest nations in the world) then shouldn't we place more of an importance on it? Not just shoving it down with not a care in the world where it came from, who grew it & unfortunately how & what died for it.
I think it's such a shame to read comments like "Get real, if you want to slave over a hot stove good for you but I have a real life to get on with" that display such ignorance, not just about food in general but the basic steps to make it when food is exactly the thing that keeps you alive & able "to get on with a real life".

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2008 10:05:55 BDT
I am a big Delia cookbook owner. She does not seem hyped like other chefs but is just as liable to jump on any bandwagon. In GFM Gary Rhodes is jumping on Rick Stein Local Heroes Bandwagon and James Martin is following Masterchefs wonders Torode and Wallace on elimination style competitions. People on low fixed incomes who need healthy good qaulity and reliable food/recipes need bargains on books such as these as being Bargain King or Queen is everything. Binnning it NOT a good idea. I would pour out your heart in written catharsis-no-hold-barred and pass book onto a worthy but appreciative party,
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  7 Mar 2008
Latest post:  28 Aug 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Delia's How to Cheat at Cooking
Delia's How to Cheat at Cooking by Delia Smith (Hardcover - 15 Feb 2008)
3.3 out of 5 stars   (225)