- Paperback: 210 pages
- Publisher: Boydell Press; New edition edition (20 Dec. 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1843831600
- ISBN-13: 978-1843831600
- Product Dimensions: 15.6 x 1.2 x 23.4 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (4 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 461,570 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Beyond the Notes: Journeys with Chamber Music Paperback – 20 Dec 2007
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
More About the Author
A delight and a revelation...She writes with Schubertian intimacy, modesty and grace. INDEPENDENT (Boyd Tonkin)This book reveals (Tomes') talents as a writer, too, one with a capacity for imaginative enquiry and a gift for the telling phrase... as natural and compelling a communicator in words as she is in music. BBC MUSIC MAGAZINE Professional musicians will sigh with recognition at page after page; readers...will have their eyes opened to the realities of the performer's life. I found the book absolutely enthralling. CLASSICAL MUSICFor more words on music, consider a wonderful book by pianist Susan Tomes of the Florestan Trio...Just reissued in paperback, Beyond the Notes is fascinating reading for anyone interested in the life of the touring concert artist. Her words are intimate and insightful, and her gentle frankness charms as she chronicles the role of the collaborative pianist. ANN ARBOR NEWS (Susan Isaacs Nisbett)
About the Author
SUSAN TOMES, alongside her packed concert schedule, is a frequent contributor, on music and other subjects, to the Guardian --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
It is fascinating to find a musician willing to share so much with her public.
I particularly enjoyed the chapters about her teachers.
This would make a great gift for anyone who is learning to perform music before an audience, or for a chamber-music-lover.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Film, Television & Music > Music > Classical Music
- Books > Biography > Women
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Scores, Songbooks & Lyrics > Classical Music
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Styles > Classical Music > Biographies
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Styles > Classical Music > Orchestral
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Styles > Classical Music > Scores, Songbooks & Lyrics
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > Essays, Journals & Letters