Customer Discussions > Dead Space 3 (PS3) forum

Beware! Microtransactions!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Jan 2013 20:09:30 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jan 2013 20:10:41 GMT
V. Vasilca says:
Dear Dead Space fans,

I thought you might like to know that Dead Space 3 will feature microtransactions in the form of buying resources for use in the weapons bench! Presumably optional, this "feature" will most probably cause scavenging for resources to turn into a total grind. It's up to you if you want to support such money-grabbing practices in a game that already costs £40!

Vote with your wallets!

Posted on 25 Jan 2013 01:14:49 GMT
Sunwind says:
as in, you'll be able to simply purchase power nodes or something? way to kill the survival horror aspect of the game completely.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2013 10:29:41 GMT
V. Vasilca says:
YES! You will be able to buy everything gun crafting related with real money and when the weapons bench gives you an error like "Can't craft. Additional resources required", you have two buttons: "Cancel" and "Downloadable content". The whole survival aspect and any immersion that you could have had until that point just flies out of the window in one shot!

Posted on 27 Jan 2013 12:25:11 GMT
Runeweaver says:
Wonder how long before EA make a game that cant be completed without buying ammo, as long as people keep using the microtransactions because they are too lazy to play the game properly companies like EA will keep moving the goal post,till its too late.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jan 2013 12:40:06 GMT
V. Vasilca says:
That's what I was thinking as well. The only way to stop this, or at least not encourage it, is to simply not buy any of their games that feature these things... wait, all of them do!

Posted on 27 Jan 2013 21:58:35 GMT
Runeweaver says:
Buying the game isnt the problem,its people who spend so much on the micro transactions it makes it impossible for EA and other companies to ignore,Some people in the US spent over $1000 on packs for mass effect 3, The multiplayer part of the game is fun but one day they will shut the servers down and all the weapons gained from those packs will be useless as they cant be used in the single player part,some people have more money than sense.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2013 20:56:21 GMT
Dimpfelmoser says:
I canceled my preorder because of this rotten money making practice.
A pity cause I really enjoyed DS one and two but there have to be limits.
40 Pounds should be enough to cover everything.
I wait for Tombraider and Bioshock instead.
EA eat you heart out!!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2013 20:58:45 GMT
V. Vasilca says:
I cancelled my pre-order too the moment I found out about this. Turns out, the microtransactions amount to another 50$, so if you want to play the complete game, you need to dish out > 100$!

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 05:24:15 GMT
DJ-Cyphon says:
umm.. they are optional.. you wont be forced to buy them, and even then it's just for the weapon resources which you can find around the world anyway.. it's just for the type of person who buys a "time-saver" pack... not buying a game just for that is.. stupid..

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2013 11:27:09 GMT
Dimpfelmoser says:
I beg to differ. Of course they are optional, but the marketing makes you believe that they are essential. It's this 'Let's bleed our customers dry' mentality that I just can't stand. I mean, I have the money and I'm not fall for it anyway, but in general it's an attitude that I just won't support in any form. I would just be annoyed every time I get prompted to buy things. But hey, instead I decided to buy a nice fat book for five quid, that will while away the long dark evenings till Tomb Raider is release in early March.

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 04:02:02 GMT
DJ-Cyphon says:
What marketing? no where has there been a 'fuss' about it or anything of the like. In game it's just like with Mass Effect 3 with an 'option', you're acting like every 5 seconds you'll be interrupted with a pop up which will say "GO TO THE NEAREST WEAPON BENCH TO BUY MORE RESOURCES. ONLY £5.99!!!" or something... It's OPTIONAL.. There's no forcing the product upon you, It's the same as seeing a "downloadable content" option on the menu, but if you Really don't like it, apparently there's a glitch found which gives you unlimited resources if you're THAT worried about it.. And on a side note the weapon resources can be found in game, you don't Need to buy them, hell you don't even need to use them if you don't want to. God, I'd hate to think what you'll say if Every game started offering Optional Microtransactions...

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 09:54:09 GMT
Neil says:
Anyone whose played the demo knows they've dumbed the franchise down to little more than a shooter with the scares now non-existent. The majority average of official reviews are giving it a 7 which also doesn't bode well. On top of that you've got the micro-transactions BS and just announced new single played DEAD SPACE AWAKENED DLC dropping in 4 weeks! I've cancelled my pre-order and will wait till it's bargain priced; probably a couple of weeks tops.

Posted on 25 Feb 2013 17:52:08 GMT
L. Houlihan says:
The only annoying thing about the microtransactions is that you can't upgrade the scavenger bot with out paying with real money. That strikes me as being a bit off to say the least. Still, i played through the entire game without spending any more than what I originally spent the get it because there's so many opportunites for resources you really don't need to. Remember its a choice people, you don't have to click yes! Infact its better if you don't, maybe they will get the idea that allowing that kind of thing in games is really not in the spirit of gaming.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dead Space 3 (PS3) forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  22 Jan 2013
Latest post:  25 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dead Space 3 (PS3)
Dead Space 3 (PS3) by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (131)