Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 11 May 2012
I am not Nicola May's typical reader. I don't read chick lit all that often. If I'm away on holiday, I don't go to the 'holiday read' section for something entertaining, but go to one of my go to authors, and select one I've either read before, or one that I've started but not had the time to finish.

Lately though, I've been in a reading funk. My mind just couldn't absorb any more.

I happened across a tweet mentioning Star Fish. I fished out my Kindle, and ordered it as a 'I'll save it for later'. Two days later I had finished it.

I was in love with reading again.

That wasn't enough for me though, I wanted more Nicola May. So I stepped over to 'Working it Out'. I have to say that this was my favourite. Funny. Cringe worthy. Emotional.

I had originally passed on Better Together. I'm 27. Why do I want to read about a 40 year old woman. But, from my Nicola May experience, I figured that I would give it a bash.

Better Together was addictive. Again, I read this in a couple of days. I wanted to know more. I was hooked.

I don't want to give anything away, but I will say this: I want their heady passion. I want their intensity.

As someone who reads. A LOT. I wanted a little more on the subplot. And I don't know if it was the Kindle edition, but the narrative did seem to jump from one place to another without any sign posting, but again, that might have just been the format of the eBook.

I would recommend this as a powerful story of twists and turns, with an atypical, non Hollywood, plot line.

I can't wait for Nicola's next offering.
on 22 February 2013
Gosh this book was total drama from beginning to end! I couldn't put it down, every time you thought it was safe to take a breath, something else happened! I thought the premise behind this book was really interesting, and being a fan of Nicola May's other novels, began this book one Saturday morning and had nearly finished it by later that afternoon! It was fast-paced, covering nearly 12 years in that time, several disastrous encounters between main characters Jess and Dan.

Jess is nearing forty and in the beginning of this novel, seems to have it all, great job, own house, complete financial independence and then a chance encounter with 24 year old Dan, sets all that spinning on its head. A bit like in Nicola May's other novel, Star Fish, I found myself frustrated with the character at some points in the story, showing just how involved I was in her happiness and her relationship with Dan. The drama that goes on in the woman's life is better than even something Eastenders could come up with, truly truly soap opera gold! For some readers, this may be too much drama, but for me it just meant that the book was not something I could out down. I HAD to read on and find out what was going to happen next.

Jess goes through some highs and some lows, but I thought that there was really lovely piece of writing in novel when Jess is having a particularly low moment, and something which most readers will be able to identify or empathise with... "Somehow reading had taken over from hiding under he duvet. She was now hiding behind the characters instead. As long as she was reading about someone else's life, time seemed to go by faster." My only criticism of the writing by this author in this case, is that some of the scenes felt a little rushed at times, some more detail or further explanation of how events came about, would have been entirely welcomed by me, and I don't think would have proved harmful to the pacing of the story or the novel as a whole.

I totally loved the ending of the book and i thought it represented the character of jess really well, a the decision that, had she been real, she would have made for herself, without any help from the author! If you are looking for a quick read which encompasses a compelling love story, some good old fashioned life lessons and high drama involving births, deaths and marriages, then you will love this book. If you have not read anything by this author before, this book is a good stand alone novel and shows off her writing excellently.
on 22 November 2012
I got this book when it was available as a free download from Amazon. I have previously read, and very much enjoyed, two of this author's other books.

This book was a real rollercoaster ride, my opinions and emotions were all over the place! It was broken up into three parts, part one explained Jess and Daniel's history and how they first came to be lovers. I do find it difficult to read about guys/girls cheating on their partners so there were some bits of this book that I found uncomfortable.

It wasn't easy to predict what was going to happen - there was one mystery involving a child's paternity that really had me stumped and when I finally found out who it was I have to admit that I was shocked.

Towards the end of this part Jess had a big decision to make and Part two dealt with the aftermath of that decision. It was at this point that I began to get annoyed with Daniel and his selfish ways.

I loved the authors writing style, it made for a very easy read and before I knew it I was halfway through the book! It just continuously surprised me, whenever I thought I had everything sussed out something changed and I'd realise that I got it all wrong.

Part three took me forward in time by ten years (I felt a little bit like Dr Who at that moment ) and I couldn't wait to see what had happened during that time. Things had certainly changed for her but it wasn't all as it first seemed!

I enjoyed Jess's time in Polperro because it brought back memories of my own holidays in Cornwall, the descriptions of the tiny fishing village conjured up vivid images in my mind and it almost felt like I was back there.

Later on in the book things took a sinister turn and again I couldn't guess who was responsible, from this moment everything changed dramatically for Jess and led to a very unexpected ending.

This was a fab read that kept me guessing throughout.
on 7 August 2012
I first heard of Nicola May when I read an article in a woman's weekly. I was intrigued by her story of self publishing and wanted to know what her books were like.

When I received a Kindle for my birthday, I purchased all three of her books straight away - at such low prices, you just can't not download them J

As the article I read was about Working It Out, I began with that which I really enjoyed. Light-hearted and I liked the way the main character tried different jobs. Once I finished it, I couldn't wait to start on another. So I chose Better Together.

The love story really drew me. Reading about the passion that Jess and Dan share helps to get you absorbed in to the story but then when the subplots were brought in, I wanted to keep reading to find out not where it would end.....but what further twists there would be.

Overall, a good story that was great to curl up on the sofa or under the duvet and get totally lost in.

I now have over 300 books on my Kindle. I am sure about to get my teeth in to Star Fish.......and I just hope Nicola May continues to write great reads.
on 3 January 2014
I discovered Nicola May when I was looking for books by another author, Mandy Baggot. As Mandy's work is brilliant, I thought if Nicola is showing up in the same search then her work must be on the same par. I love discovering new authors and this book definitely made me want to read more by Ms May.

Right from the very beginning I was hooked into the story; the ups, the downs, the love, the trauma, the energy of the characters. Jess is a lovely character, who I gained a lot of respect for with her being a career woman. I loved the addition of Dan; a young, care-free individual and yet a loving and doting father. The character of Hope annoyed me slightly, but I think that may have been the intention. Overall, the characters were well formed and each had their own charms.
 I couldn't quite understand why the characters all called each other by their full names. I have never called anyone I know by their full name in a social situation, so it did grate on me a little when every other sentence was `Jessy Morley' or `Mr Harris' etc. I can understand why it was used in some situations but I do think it could have been cut down slightly to make the writing flow.

[SMALL SPOILER TO FOLLOW]

The ending of the book disappointed me slightly as I felt it was building up to something and then it just fell a bit flat. Again, I do understand why this choice of ending was in place - Jess decides to live her life for her and her daughter and not for a man, but to me it just felt like the story was building up to something else.

[SPOILER OVER]

I could only rate the book 3 stars because of the aforementioned discrepancies but I did enjoy this book. It took me on an emotional roller coaster and that shows the characters were well written. I am looking forward to reading more from Nicola May and will soon get started on `Working it Out'.

For more of my reviews, check out [...]
on 13 March 2013
I had just dumped the previous book I had been reading at 34% and actually read 34% of this in a few hours! Brilliant! I tend to find most books very predictable and guess who's going to end up with who by the 1st few chapters but for the first time I was genuinely surprised with the turn of events of this book and didn't foresee a thing!! Read the whole book within 48 hrs (in between shifts!) And can't wait to move on to the next book
on 30 March 2013
The 3rd Nicola May book i have read in a row, the next will also be Nicola May.
This book doesn't disapoint at all. It's a lovely story, well told. It covers alot of years but does it well and manages to keep you hooked into turning over every page.
I'm a fast reader but it took me less than 24 hours as i just couldn't put it down.
I can really recommend Nicola May's books.
on 31 May 2014
What a dreadful, pointless and utterly ridiculous book. Far too much going on. Splitting up, making up, splitting up, making up, again and again and again. Drug taking, drunken sex, abortion, babies, marriage, affairs, arson, lies, illness, death. It is all there but has no depth, is rushed and lacks reality.
That is 2 hours of my life wasted. Don't bother with it.

on 5 February 2013
Fantastic read, could not put it down. Something exciting happens every few chapters to keep you turning pages for more.
on 19 September 2012
So glad I stumbled across this.
A really enjoyable read that kept me enchanted for the last 2 evenings.
My heart went out to Jess and the decisions she had to make.
A clever piece of fiction that will draw you in and leave you wanting more
Thank you for creating this Nicola May !