Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 March 2015
Being a regular listener of BBC4 Desert Island Discs I was amazed to hear a guest one week select "Help me through the day" by Freddie King which was utterly spellbinding. I already have a compilation of Freddy (note the name change) Kings early classic Federal recordings and largely on the basis of those I have tended to place him third behind BB King and Albert King in terms of my personal preference. But I sought out this track and found it on this cd and bought it immediately.

I now have to revise my opinion of Freddie. This is a stonkingly superb album. Backed by some superlatively talented and familiar musicians the template for the whole cd is well and truly set by the opening track and the fierce intensity (without being overbearing) of that track is maintained all the way through to the final track irrespective of whether the track is, rocking, boogeeing or a slow blues.

Buy it and I defy anyone not to enjoy it as much as I am
on 23 January 2013
There are so many great tracks on this album, most of them with just guitar, vocal, piano, drums and bass (only two tracks with strings). This is one of the best electric blues albums I've ever come across. If you like BB King and Albert King, you should love this album.
on 10 September 2014
great compilation of Freddie's later output. Smooth production from the great Leon Russel. Not as edgy as the earlier stuff but a class act just the same. Worth the price for "Same Old Blues' alone.
on 7 August 2013
One of the best Blues singers of all time, his work on guitar makes it an album to consider," Going Down " copied by so many artists. Excellent.
on 29 April 2014
Very well produced tracks the standout being "reconsider baby "which is worth the entry fee alone also loved going down
on 11 May 2016
One of the truly great blues guitarists and this collection of the his Shelter Years recordings is stunning. The best of the best from one who died far too young.
on 6 July 2013
I bought the Blues version of Classic Rock on reading about both Freddie& Albert King I was intrigued sufficiently to buy "best of's. I love both these Blues Master the stripped Down Blues Much to my Liking . Both artists have been copied numerous times ... Clapton in particular ,so it was great to hear the originals . A Great addition to my Blues Collection
on 23 April 2015
all really great - love listening to it in the car
on 10 February 2016