on 5 November 2006
I have enjoyed every recipe I have made from this book. They are delicious, and taste so much better than curries made with purchased curry powders. Easy to follow instructions (with pictures) makes each recipe easy to follow.

I highly recommend it, and have purchased more for gifts.
on 18 January 2010
Having tried out several other Indian cook books, this one is absolutely fantastic. The recipes are easy to follow and feature a lot of nice pictures as well as background infos. I particularly liked Baljekar's modern twist to her dishes. I appreciate books by more experienced authors/cooks such as Delia, Nigella as it really makes a difference in terms of results and I think this lady is one of them. I can only thoroughly recommend this book!
on 16 November 2012
Basically a really good wide ranging cook-book. The recipes are simple, numerous and well thought out. The book starts out with the simple pastes and descriptions of the spices you need. Then onto the recipes which are easy to follow.
on 8 October 2014
Has to be the best Indian cook book in my kitchen and believe me I have many. Easy to follow you can just pick and mix recipes to make a great meal or cook just one for an after work supper. This book is well loved in my house
VINE VOICEon 25 May 2011
YES.. There is indeed a BUT.. Don t get me wrong, It is a nice book, with tons of recipes, well presented and very easy to follow. loads of pictures, basic cooking instructions and a good value for money.. But the dishes are not that great.. Like someone says in a previous review, that book mentions the use of commercial curry paste.. something which is unknown in India.
i showed the book to a sikh friend of mine, who is actually from Panjab, and i think that I ve seldom seen her laughing so bad when she saw some of the recipes.. Some of them being there when they are not even indian [I mean, come on... haddock fishcakes ? sweet and sour pinneaple ? carrot stir fry ? coronation chicken and an absurd caramel custard with fresh fruit or some toffee apples??? ] when at the same time, some indian classic such a carrot halwa [gajar ka halwa] or gulab jamun are missing, when there is only two recipes for Daal and two or three raitas.. A bit daft don t you think so..

I bought the book, I keep it. Not sure I shall use it much though.. 2 stars for the pictures..

UPDATE . no in fact i gave that book a four star as i ve enjoyed a couple of features since my original review.. one of them being the fact that it gives you the calories intake for every single dishes you take.. I don t know if you re wight concious or not but I find that a great idea.. especially if you re on a low cal diet. also, i ve cooked couple of recipes out of the book.. and they are not bad at all. Not hard to make, and they are tasty.. That does not cover up for the lack of some major recipes that are missing. but hey.. it s a book easy to use, and well presented.
on 29 March 2014
The best book ever for cooking Indian food. Lots of great recipes. Cant find another book to beat it. I just keep going back to it. Easy to follow and my food always looks like the picture. A real winner
on 27 February 2016
Only tried a few recipes so far but all winners. Not excessive numbers of ingredients, straightforward and well explained. Good layout and plenty of recipes.
on 7 July 2014
An awesome Indian cook book. Delicious recipes, possibly the only Indian cook book you will ever need!
on 25 December 2010
This is a great book, the recipies are easy to follow and beautiful pictures show how the meal will look. Especially the first chapters make it easy for beginners to get in touch with Indian cooking.
on 10 October 2007
This was one in a long line of curry books ive purchased over the years, and by far the best. Every thing I've cooked has been enjoyed by all that have sampled it. The Monkfish and okra is wonderful for a dinner party.
The recipe's are not too hot for even my 8 year old. But can be tweeked to taste.
Excellent book.