Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 November 2006
Brilliant read, definitely will be passing this book on to all my friends. I borrowed it initially from my sister, she warned me its terribly sad in places and not really a "sun holiday" read. Thankfully I didn't take it on holidays as you need a place to cry without shame and bucket loads of tissues. There's love, betrayal, grief, acceptance, fun and trepidation in this book right to the end. Loved it.
on 6 March 2016
This was the book that made me a Dorothy Koomson fan. A truly emotional journey of an independant woman who finds herself in a position where she has to choose between the life she planned for herself and one shaped by circumstances. You are gripped right from the start and will feel as though you are living this journey alongside Kam; the decisions she makes, her thought process and the feelings she struggles through. I highly recommend this book!!
on 13 May 2006
This book is BEAUTIFUL! I was hooked from the first page and dispte a 2 year old child and a job managed to read it in less than 48 hours - I couldn't put it down. It made me cry and laugh - sometimes both at the same time! You fall in love with the characters and go on a rollercoaster ride with them.

This is the only Dorothy Koomson book I have read but it won't be the last!
on 15 December 2006
I'd kept looking at this book as it was talked about so much and when a friend recommended it I finally acquired it. I was a little hesitant at reading it as the back cover suggested soppy nonsense and it didn't really appeal. The opening chapter starts the book off really well and right up until Kamryn removes Tegan from her abusive Grandparents after Adele's death, I was surprised at how interested I was at the story. However my enthusiasm soon became dampened as the story progresses.

I think the over use of adjectives to describe this angelic child's eyes amongst many others began to grate on me. Aspects of this book simply didn't ring true....the acceptance of this volitile woman to take on a friend's daughter without 'ever getting cross' is just a complete nonsense. The relationships with the two men in Ryn and Tegan's lives didn't really ring true apart from the fact that Luke loathed Nate...the only 'real' option in this scenario I feel.

In summary, a rather contrived piece of work that had chasms of inconsistencies along with an ending that you knew was going to happen. The only reason I gave it 3 stars is because the plot was good, pieces of it were funny and sad but it could have been at least 100 pages shorter and perhaps less overdone on the repetitive gushing of how much this child was loved!
on 22 August 2006
I did enjoy this book, but I read it on the basis that it suddenly became huge overnight (mostly thanks to Richard & Judy) and I think it could be the breaking, not the making, of this book.

The story is quite simple, but I think the beginning could have carried on for a little longer and the 'death' not so quick. You probably all know the story, so I'll just say the things I liked and disliked about the book

I liked the relationship between Kamryn & Luke, which at first I hated and nearly threw the book across the room, because you can smell it a mile off and I wanted, just once, for them to just be friends and not jump into bed. But after this point, I think the relationship was handled really well, especially as they argued and didn't get on sometimes.

I also liked the fact that Kamryn was larger than a size 10, which you don't tend to find in many books today, because somehow being a size 14 deems you instantly unattractive

I didn't like the style of writing (at times). It felt too laboured and some of the analogies (the reference to banks and loans and debt etc..) were too much to deal with. I lost my way a little in the middle, and I agree with another reader who said it would have been nice to have a little more from Adele, so that it wasn't just the story of Kamryn.

I did like the ending though, and I felt it fitted nicely with the rest of the story.

It took me a while to read and it wouldn't necessarily make me buy her previous books, but it was an OK read.
on 4 June 2007
I was gripped from the opening chapter of this novel and was literally sobbing through the first few chapters. The author did an excellent job of getting inside the characters minds and exploring complex issues around grief and forgiveness.

Unfortunately, it seemed to take quite a dramatic turnaround as soon as a 'romantic interest' was introduced. The book swiftly changed from a really touching and gripping read into a typical 'chick lit' novel. Boy meets girl, both hate each other, end up falling in love.

The book showed such initial promise, I was so disappointed with how it deteriorated - almost as though the author just wanted to finish it without any regard to the potential of the book to be something out of the ordinary chick lit genre. What a pity!
on 9 October 2006
This is the first novel I have read by this author, the first few pages requires tissues as it is narrated by a dying woman, who has to find a way of telling her daughter that mums days are numbered. The story is then picked up by her best friend, along with the little girl. Throw in romance, heart ache, laughter, tears, remorse along with the full range of human emotions and result; a story that takes the reader on a journey of discovery. Totally readable, unputdownable, gripping and any other made up word you like. I cant wait for the next one.
on 28 August 2006
This book had me hooked from page one, I couldn't put it down. It tells a tale of friendship, forgiveness and enlightenment. It has plenty of wit and will also have your heart renching out of your chest. A really enjoyable read.
on 26 October 2007
I really thought this would be my kind of book, the synopsis looked great and the storyline seemed fairly original. Alarm bells started to ring when the plot became totally implausible early on - why on earth would Adele let her child remain with her father whom she knew to be cruel and abusive? There is no way she would have relied on sending letters to estranged friends to help her. If it were my child I'd be involving the police, social services and anyone else possible to help remove her from the situation.
The relationship between Tegan and Luke was also completely unrealistic - who would allow their five year old to be befriended by an older man (especially their boss!!) that they instinctively disliked? It just didn't make any sense. I could go on and on pulling holes in the plot (Tegan's amazing recovery from some horrendous mental and physical abuse, Kamryn and Luke's bizarre relationship?) and really cannot understand why so many people loved this book.
The thing that infuriated me the most was how badly this book was written. It reminded me of the kind of drivel I used to produce in school when asked to write a descriptive essay - everyone had navy-blue or amber-hazel-brown eyes. There were so many grammatical errors I was groaning out loud - why wasn't this book properly proofread and edited? It could have been 150 pages shorter without all the pointless waffle about hair conditioning treatments, descriptions of characters outfits etc.
All in all, awful. How it got to be a Richard and Judy recommended read I will never understand. Avoid.
1616 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 August 2006
This book has got mixed reviews on Amazon and to an extent I can understand them. This book was hailed as a new kind of chick-lit and it is to some extent in that it deals with `real' issues which isn't something that chick-lit isn't known for. However I have to say that I did enjoy this book. There's no need for me to recount the story as others have done that before me. What I can say is that the beginning starts off somberly as we see Kamryn go to the hospital to face her ex-best-friend Adele. Adele is dying and her reason for asking to see Kamryn is to ask her to adopt her daughter Tegan. Up to the point where Adele dies this book mixes tragedy with some amusing anecdotes.

After the funeral the chick-lit factor goes into full swing. We see Kamryn struggle with the basics of bringing up a 5-yr-old, where even trying to buy shampoo turns into an ordeal. As with any chick-lit book there's a hunky man involved.....2 in this instance.....one is the ex who brings back memories of the Kamryn of old and the other is Kamryn's boss Luke.

Although this book is predictable (isn't most chick-lit?)....it is however fun. There are some amusing exchanges and all in all it's a fluffy chick-lit book that won't tax the brain. If you're looking for something heavy then this isn't the book for you but if you're into the Cathy Kelly / Sheila O'Flanagan / Marian Keyes genre then you'll enjoy My Best Friends Girl.