Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Nov 2012 10:51:58 GMT
R. Perkin says:
As I can't get the new Prof Layton (please not interested in discussion re this one on this post as I don;t want the 3DS) I would be grateful if people could let me know other good DS games. I love all the professor layton, animal crossing etc. Which games have you enjoyed? Thanks x

Posted on 29 Nov 2012 18:04:14 GMT
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and it's sequels are top of my list (5 of them in total if you count the spin-off series too). They have a puzzle-esque nature to them (game is split into two sections - searching for clues for a case, then using the clues and testimony to find contradictions). Unravelling the truth behind the stories and coming up with your own theories is highly enjoyable, a good sense of humour and i found them just a thoroughly fun set of games.

If you're after more emphasis on story rather than gameplay and don't mind a darker, more mature plot, then i'd highly recommend 999: 9 hours, 9 persons 9 doors. Lots of room-escape style puzzles to solve, a lot of text and discussion between characters (plays a lot like a visual novel at times) and a compelling story that really grips you and makes you want to know the who's, what's and why's of the events. Hotel Dusk and Another Code are also within this broad catagory, but are both considerably less dark in nature; both are a lot of fun, although Another Code is a little on the short side.

As for games like Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon and Rune Factory both come to mind (moreso with rune factory as it is more open-ended) as being very different styled games where you can really develop your land and spend time talking to the locals or going off for some exploration in a relaxed setting.

Posted on 29 Nov 2012 18:05:30 GMT
Snugglepuff says:
A list I made sometime earlier, similar sequels noted along side:

Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright 1-3, Apollo Justice and Miles Edgeworth Investigations. (Point and Click, Story Text game. )
Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Dark Conflict (Turn based War Strategy)
Animal Crossing: Wild World (Sim)
Another Code (Point and Click: Note it is very short)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia (Action-adventure games with RPG elements)
Chrono Trigger (JRPG- Japanese Role playing game turn based, one of the top games of all time)
Dragon Quest 4,5,6,9, Joker and Joker 2 (JRPGs, Joker puts a Pokemon spin on the series)
Final Fantasy 3,4 (JRPGs)
Final Fantasy 12 Revenant Wings (Real time Strategy- previous game not needed for enjoyment)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (non turn based JRPG)
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (Turn based Strategy, remake of the 1st game so not as good as the others in the series)
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (JRPG It's a sequel still can be played without the other games, might be a good choice if never played a JRPG before, very simple, not too much grinding and features puzzle elements in the dungeons)
Harvest Moon games (farming sims, including Rune Factory which has JRPG elements)
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure (Puzzle )
Hotel Dusk Room 215 and Last Window (Text point and click)
Kirby Mass Attack (Puzzle Platform )
Kirby Super Star Ultra and Kirby Mouse Attack(Platform)
Kirby Power Paintbrush (Stylus controlled Platform)
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks (Action-adventure)
Magical Starsign (JRPG)
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time and Bower's Inside Story (JRPG but play a lot differently than the norm)
Mario Kart DS(Racing)
Mario Party DS (Board game)
Mario Vs Donkey Kong 2 and Mini Land Mayhem (Puzzle)
Meteos (Puzzle)
Metroid Prime Hunters (FPS can cause hand cramping)
New Super Mario Bros (Platform)
Okamiden (Action- Adventure Note: Sequel )
Pic-Pac (Puzzle)
Picross DS and 3D (Puzzle)
Pokemon Pearl/Diamond/Platinum/SoulSilver/HeartGold/Black/White/Black 2/White2 (JRPG)
Pokemon Conquest (turn-based strategy)
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter (Action-Adventure with JRPG elements)
Sonic Rush, Rush Adventure and Colours (Platform)
Super Mario 64 DS (Platform)
Wario Ware Touched (Mini-game collection)
The World Ends with You! ( JRPG)
Yoshi's Island DS (platform)

Imports
9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors (story text based game)
Chibi-Robo:Park Patrol (a kind of platform game, genre hard to define)
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (JRPG)
Glory of Heracles (JRPG)
The Legendary Starfy (Platform)

Posted on 2 Dec 2012 11:18:26 GMT
R. Perkin says:
wow thanks for the game lists! Seems I've got a few to go on now!!!!!!! Which do you recommend starting with?

Posted on 2 Dec 2012 20:27:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Dec 2012 04:47:25 GMT
Since there are a lot of games to choose from, I'd base it on what type of game you want to play. Decide if you want a game based on action and reflexes, strategy and planning, puzzles and story, a visual novel style, etc. Decide on one of those catagories, or on a game you've played previously that you want something similiar to, then we'd be better able to recommend a good game for you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  29 Nov 2012
Latest post:  2 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about