- Hardcover: 160 pages
- Publisher: Princeton Architectural Press; annotated edition edition (1 July 2003)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1568984057
- ISBN-13: 978-1568984056
- Product Dimensions: 18.8 x 2.5 x 25.7 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 1,475,001 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Bent Ply: The Art of Plywood Furniture Hardcover – 1 Jul 2003
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
More About the Author
About the Author
Dung Ngo is author of American Contemporary Furniture (Universe, 1999) and Open House (Rizzoli, 2002); Eric Pfeiffer is the head designer for Offi, a home and home office furniture company specializing in bent plywood. His designs are in the collection of SF MoMA, and sold at the Museum of Modern Art Design Shop
Inside This Book(Learn More)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Inside, the book is divided into three main sections.
The first is a history and description of the uses to which bent plywood has been put to in the past. Surprisingly the first patents on plywood go back to 1895, just about the time that the steam engine was becoming powerful enough to spin a log against a slicing knife. Continuing the history through World War II talks about (and shows pictures of) plywood airplanes.
The middle section is on the production of the plywood furniture, it starts with the bare logs and how they are cut into veneer and finally put into bent-ply furniture. It talks about a bent ply desk designed by Mr. Pfeiffer. This desk has veneer made in Latvia, the assembly of the desk is in Italy, and it is produced for the American market.
The last section of the book shows a wide selection of furniture articles, illustrating what can be done with bent ply.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Print & Decorative Arts
- Books > Home & Garden > Antiques & Collectables > Antiques & Collectables by Subject > Furniture
- Books > Home & Garden > Carpentry & Woodwork
- Books > Home & Garden > Crafts > Woodworking
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Civil Engineering
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering > Civil Engineering